Limelight for "Rock Band"

The Owl

For those of you who bought Rock Band this past November, you know that the game included a cover of Tom Sawyer in the game. Now via download through the Playstation Network, or XBox Live you can now play "Limelight" as well. Tough it will be a cover as well (just as Tom Sawyer was) you can still sing as Geddy, play Drums as Niel, or Play the Lead Like Alex for a whole new track!!

Source Info= Rushisaband.com

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jan 2 2008, 01:40 PM)
Nice. I don't own the game but I've always wanted to ask... How does the vocals work? Do you have to hit particular notes or is it all about timing?

Right Lyrics, and pitch...yes like Singstar, in a way.

But the harder the difficulty, the more specific you have to be as well

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jan 2 2008, 02:40 PM)
Nice. I don't own the game but I've always wanted to ask... How does the vocals work? Do you have to hit particular notes or is it all about timing?

I don't own the game, but have played it so I hope I explain it correctly. The singing is a right to left scrolling of words in time with the music - which travels across the top of the screen. You sing the lyrics as the words pass across the vertical line on the screen. You don't have to sing the words, but DO have to match the key/pitch of the note. So you can basically LA LA LA your way through a song, but what fun is there in that?

To make sure you're hitting the notes right, there is a large arrow at the top center pointing to the right. If you sing on key, the arrow stays level and you nailed it. If you're flat or sharp the arrow will tip down or up, with the arrow point remaining at the correct pitch. So if the arrow is pointing up, you know you have to raise the pitch of your note, and lower it if the arrow is pointing down.

Holy crap, I hope that made sense. wacko.gif

http://www.destructoid.com/elephant/ul/34967-media.jpg

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 2 2008, 02:36 PM)
For those of you who bought Rock Band this past November, you know that the game included a cover of Tom Sawyer in the game. Now via download through the Playstation Network, or XBox Live you can now play "Limelight" as well. Tough it will be a cover as well (just as Tom Sawyer was) you can still sing as Geddy, play Drums as Niel, or Play the Lead Like Alex for a whole new track!!

Holy crap dude - your news flash so far is one of my "Best of 2008" moments right up there with my drunken girlfriend wrestling another hot chick in the snow bank on new years eve. Boing!

Anyways glad to hear they are releasing more Rush! I was really hoping for a Ruch Pack (artist packs usually have three songs by the same artist) but this is a great start!

I also hope they won't shy away from instrumentals just because the game has a vocal part to it - I'd really love to see them release MalNar some day!

Too bad Limelight is a cover version - obviously Geds is a tough singer to imitate and the vocals on the Tom Sawyer cover are far from perfect.

trink39.gif

I have not yet bought the game myself yet (as I do not own a next-gen system yet), but I plan on buying a PS3 come Tax Return time. I will probably get Rock Band then, but I have demoed the game.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jan 2 2008, 01:50 PM)
For those of you who bought Rock Band this past November, you know that the game included a cover of Tom Sawyer in the game.  Now via download through the Playstation Network, or XBox Live you can now play "Limelight" as well.  Tough it will be a cover as well (just as Tom Sawyer was) you can still sing as Geddy, play Drums as Niel, or Play the Lead Like Alex for a whole new track!!

Holy crap dude - your news flash so far is one of my "Best of 2008" moments right up there with my drunken girlfriend wrestling another hot chick in the snow bank on new years eve. Boing!

Anyways glad to hear they are releasing more Rush! I was really hoping for a Ruch Pack (artist packs usually have three songs by the same artist) but this is a great start!

I also hope they won't shy away from instrumentals just because the game has a vocal part to it - I'd really love to see them release MalNar some day!

Too bad Limelight is a cover version - obviously Geds is a tough singer to imitate and the vocals on the Tom Sawyer cover are far from perfect.

trink39.gif

I am sure that they will release more Rush Songs, but as far as instrumentals....probably not. Since Rock Band is a game where vocals is a huge part, I wouldn't think so.

But I imagine we might see more Rush instrumentals on future releases of "Guitar Hero" though.

My buddy up the block who owns Rock Band (AND HATES RUSH), just stopped by and told me he was able to download a bunch of Rush for his Xbox 360. Not just limelight, but he also mentioned Power Windows. He didn't even know the title, he just said "something and a window" laugh.gif.

I can't wait to check out what songs he actually downloaded. But he said there were at least 3. We'll see.

QUOTE (Pags @ Jan 2 2008, 01:57 PM)
For those of you who bought Rock Band this past November, you know that the game included a cover of Tom Sawyer in the game.  Now via download through the Playstation Network, or XBox Live you can now play "Limelight" as well.  Tough it will be a cover as well (just as Tom Sawyer was) you can still sing as Geddy, play Drums as Niel, or Play the Lead Like Alex for a whole new track!!

My buddy up the block who owns Rock Band (AND HATES RUSH), just stopped by and told me he was able to download a bunch of Rush for his Xbox 360. Not just limelight, but he also mentioned Power Windows. He didn't even know the title, he just said "something and a window" laugh.gif.

I can't wait to check out what songs he actually downloaded. But he said there were at least 3. We'll see.

I don't think so, I just looked at the downloadable releases for 1-2-08, (link avaliable through the rushisaband page) and Limelight is the only Rush song so far is Limelight.

BTW the price for the song is $1.99

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 2 2008, 03:05 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Jan 2 2008, 01:57 PM)

I don't think so, I just looked at the downloadable releases for 1-2-08, (link avaliable through the rushisaband page) and Limelight is the only Rush song so far is Limelight.

BTW the price for the song is $1.99

Like I said, I won't know what it is until I go check it out. He said he saw Rush - and it was a song pack to download with "Window" in the title. He can't stand them and wouldn't know anything song title wise. He only got it because he knows I'm such a fan, and he'll only crack jokes at me throughout the entire song. laugh.gif

So... we'll see. I'm not worried about what RIAB reports. I'll go see with my own eyes.

i think i might have to get this game...

it may the only one i have an interest in playing!! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Jan 2 2008, 02:57 PM)

OH MAN....

I AM SOOO TEMPTED TO GO HOME RIGHT NOW AND CHECK.

*twitch*

Actually so far as I can tell Limelight is the only new Rush track out right now:

http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2008/01...ous-1-1-08.aspx

I wonder why the songs are cover versions... must be that Rush wont allow the original material to be used? They've remastered most their albums including Moving Pictures so it's not like the master source isn't available somewhere for the developers to fiddle around with...

confused13.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jan 2 2008, 03:37 PM)

OH MAN....

*twitch*

I just called him. When he gets home from his job I'm gonna head up there and check it out. I'll let you know if there is anything other than Limelight. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Jan 2 2008, 03:57 PM)

OH MAN....

*twitch*

I just called him. When he gets home from his job I'm gonna head up there and check it out. I'll let you know if there is anything other than Limelight. trink39.gif

Damn! I'm at home and just checked - so far I got absolutely nothing new on my Canuck PS3.

I think I read someone saying once though maybe for Playstation the store just releases new stuff once a week or something... maybe on Thursdays? I'll have to check again later.

:cP

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jan 2 2008, 04:17 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Jan 2 2008, 03:57 PM)

OH MAN....

*twitch*

Damn! I'm at home and just checked - so far I got absolutely nothing new on my Canuck PS3.

I think I read someone saying once though maybe for Playstation the store just releases new stuff once a week or something... maybe on Thursdays? I'll have to check again later.

:cP

according to the Rushisaband blog it is supposed to be on the Playstation Network sometime "later today".

So keep checking

OMG! OMG! OMG!

I've been needing more Rush in Rock Band, and Harmonix delivers! Limelight is just awesome! It took awhile to connect to download it (XBox live is having issues lately) but it was so worth it.

The song is perhaps my new favorite in the game to play. Hugely fun on guitar, very challenging but amazingly fun on drums... just great. Now if only the singer sounded remotely like Geddy... meh... least it's better than the Tom Sawyer singer.

I am so thrilled.

Now I really want to get Permanent Waves as a full album DLC. Wouldn't it be just perfect? From the amazing solo-ing in Free Will to the epicness of Natural Science... just the perfect album for that game. (although if they must put more from Moving Pictures... might I humbly suggest Witch Hunt?)

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Jan 2 2008, 03:36 PM)
i think i might have to get this game...

it may the only one i have an interest in playing!! laugh.gif

Trust me, you DO have to get this game. I had to get an XBox 360 just to play it... more money than I normally care to spend, but it has been worth it. A huge hit at parties or just whenever a few friends or family are over. And now it has Limelight, which is a ton of fun to play (and Tom Sawyer, but I like Limelight even better!) And that's not to mention the fantastic non-Rush songs on the setlist... I love a good majority of them, they made some fine choices of songs.

And the drums are a lot of fun, since they approximate the real thing. The timing of the foot pedal is a challenge, for sure. Reportedly you could play the rock band drums on expert difficulty, then go and pretty much play the song on a real drum set.

Well in Tom Sawyer whoever is singing attempts to do it in the high-pitched style, but ends up sounding kind of annoying... and nothing like Geddy.

Here it is obviously sung at a lower pitch, but it sounds a lot better. Like a really great cover of the song by a different band, rather than a failed attempt to mimic the original band.

Archived