Rush and improv

GreatNorthSpecial

Hey guys, I am fairly new to Rush, been listing for about two months. I was wondering if they ever improvise in solos, or wherever. My number one band of all time is the Grateful Dead wub.gif , so you can see where I am coming from. Thanks!

QUOTE (GreatNorthSpecial @ Dec 28 2007, 01:01 PM)
Hey guys, I am fairly new to Rush, been listing for about two months. I was wondering if they ever improvise in solos, or wherever. My number one band of all time is the Grateful Dead wub.gif , so you can see where I am coming from. Thanks!

Welcome to TRF!

Rush is far from a jam band, which sounds like what you're accustomed to. They rarely improvise much; typically, if they do, it's because someone's having a technical problem and the other 2 fill time. They will have changed up parts of songs (like the extended jam in Closer to the Heart or Alex's rants in La Villa), but those are pretty consistent and structured.

I belief I have read where they said it was too important to them to give the same show to each audience each night to allow themelves the freedom to improvise. Speaking for myself, the onyl real downside is that if you collect the recording of each show, there's not going to be a lot of suprises. The upside, thoguh, is that you will get really solid, consistent performances every time out!

Welcome to the board!!

Long live 2.gif !!!

Good Lord!! I looked at your member profile...You were born when I started college!!!

Holy Crap!!!

I see you only listed the Dead as another favorite. WHile I never got into them myself (and its not like I didn't try) I do appreciate what they were about as a band. You may want to look at Yes and Pink Floyd if you already haven't. Yes especially were famous for extending their songs live and jamming out (the version of Perpetual Change on Yessongs is fantastic!) though once they extended a song, they pretty much stuck to playing it that way show after show, again, so they could give each audience the same show.

QUOTE (GreatNorthSpecial @ Dec 28 2007, 01:01 PM)

Welcome to a fine Rush community! smile.gif

Well, as for improv, I think Alex does a different Dreamline solo every tour, if not every show. Also, Roll The Bones and Bravado get this too. Um... I believe The Weapon gets a differently arranged solo than that of the studio version.

That's about all I can think of now. Have a nice stay! wink.gif

Welcome to TRF! trink39.gif

They have been known to do some improvisations live (both in solos and song arrangements), but for the most part, the song structure remains the same.

There are thousands of bootlegs that you can get ahold of and hear some of the ways songs have been "changed up" live.

www.digitalrushexperience.com is a listing of Rush bootlegs, with reviews... and you can find torrents for these from time to time at dimeadozen, thetradersden, rushhub...

explore the boots of Rush... there are some really good ones out there... being a Greatful Dead fan, you are probably alread into the world of bootlegs, and torrents, I suspect! wink.gif

Happy hunting and enjoy!

I remember reading that Alex, whenever in the studio, would just wing his solos (meaning that they were improv-ed).

Like the solo for Tom Sawyer, he did a few other takes of his solo that sounded nothing like the solo you hear on MP.

But once the Solo is on the song, that's what he does all the time.

So, I certainly believe that they can improv, but they don't very often.

Other than that, a big WELCOME to you from me! bekloppt.gif trink39.gif

I'm really into the Dead as well, but you get a different "product" from Rush than from the Jerry and the boys.

Both are great IN THEIR OWN WAY.

Rush are all about perfect replication of studio work and they do it as well as anyone, the dead were (while decent musicians- esp. Jerry and Phil) freer to try stuff and sometimes succeded sometimes not so much.

I love them and miss Jerry very much but I'll be the first to say there are times that things weren't so magical, but the times that were were incredible!

early Rush material has little improv jam parts in it......ex. ByTor.....Working Man........but as the band got more progressive, during 2112 and so forth, they became more structured, few things Rush does, even live, are improv, maybe some parts in the drum solos or the big guitar solo in La Villa, but its mostly fully rehearsed

Archived