What's with Hollywood...

Necromancer

I just watched Tombstone again last night. I must have seen this movie about twenty times now. I love it. So today I start googling people from the movie and find that MOST of the movie is not even close to how these men really were and how the events of the infamous gunfight at the OK Corral went down.

Most historical accounts I've read today have the Cowboy gang as well-liked and bringers of much business into Tombstone.

Most historical accounts I've read today have the Earp family, mostly Wyatt himself, as big time abusers of the law. One account says that the main reason for the gunfight was a stagecoach robbery that Earp and Holliday were originally accused of being behind.

Also, I'm reading that the legend of what a gunfighter Holliday is is extremely overblown. Now I know that happens in films about the old west, but this is extreme.

It kinda kills this movie for me.

I started with Wiki on this and followed many links. You can do the same if you want, i'm not posting all the links I read this morning.

What do you think of all this? Especially fans of the movie Tombstone?

I never cared for Westerns. My father watched them ad nauseum (especially when he was drunk). I feel the same towards gangster movies.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 23 2007, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 23 2007, 11:14 AM)
I never cared for Westerns. My father watched them ad nauseum (especially when he was drunk). I feel the same towards gangster movies.

Chick flicks?

wink.gif

a few, yes.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 23 2007, 10:58 AM)
I just watched Tombstone again last night. I must have seen this movie about twenty times now. I love it. So today I start googling people from the movie and find that MOST of the movie is not even close to how these men really were and how the events of the infamous gunfight at the OK Corral went down.

Most historical accounts I've read today have the Cowboy gang as well-liked and bringers of much business into Tombstone.

Most historical accounts I've read today have the Earp family, mostly Wyatt himself, as big time abusers of the law. One account says that the main reason for the gunfight was a stagecoach robbery that Earp and Holliday were originally accused of being behind.

Also, I'm reading that the legend of what a gunfighter Holliday is is extremely overblown. Now I know that happens in films about the old west, but this is extreme.

It kinda kills this movie for me.

I started with Wiki on this and followed many links. You can do the same if you want, i'm not posting all the links I read this morning.

What do you think of all this? Especially fans of the movie Tombstone?

I think you'll find that most westerns are exaggerated, especially gunfighters and the level of their skill.

For every "man with no name" there's a quattuornonagintillion normal guys who can't shoot for shit, in other words we've yet to see "a man with no name"

oh and a quattuornonagintillion is 10^(285) (10 to the power 285)

(the biggest number I've seen is a trecentillion which is 10^(903) (10 to the power 903)

I doubt that number of people will ever exist, so I'm sorry western freaks we'll never see a gunfighter like Clint Eastwood in reality...

angry.gif "They cheated us!!"

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 23 2007, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 23 2007, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 23 2007, 11:14 AM)

Chick flicks?

wink.gif

a few, yes.

cool...

cool.gif

Hollywood will always take creative liberties when it comes to movie making.

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Dec 23 2007, 04:01 PM)
Why are criminals "heroes" of sort? confused13.gif

That's because secretly a lot of people envy the criminal's ability to flout the rules in an extreme way, a way which they can never do. They covert that freedom and admire the steel they think it takes to go over the edge into chaos and mayhem. Movies about criminals present a fantasy version of this scenario which these people feel free to indulge this admiration to the fullest extent if they wish, without the weight of guilt they feel from secretly admiring a real criminal who has caused actual damage and pain.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 23 2007, 10:31 PM)

That's because secretly a lot of people envy the criminal's ability to flout the rules in an extreme way, a way which they can never do. They covert that freedom and admire the steel they think it takes to go over the edge into chaos and mayhem. Movies about criminals present a fantasy version of this scenario which these people feel free to indulge this admiration to the fullest extent if they wish, without the weight of guilt they feel from secretly admiring a real criminal who has caused actual damage and pain.

unsure.gif

Are you some sort of psychiatrist? unsure.gif

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Dec 23 2007, 04:36 PM)

unsure.gif

Aye, I just act stupid to offset the possible stuffiness vibe I might otherwise emanate...

biggrin.gif

I watched it again last night and knowing all this true history really affected the way I watched it. I guess I was real annoying, cuz CeeJ got fed up with me telling her that "this scene is a lie" or "this isn't how it went down". So she started reading a book instead. laugh.gif

The best example of this for me is a movie many of you may not have seen, an absolutely classic film form the 60s called The Day of the Jackal. The lead plans and tries to committ an assasination on Charles DeGaulle. Its a FABULOUS movie.

**spoiler here***

Well, every time I see it, I am hopelessly dissapointed that hes unsuccessful in killing DeGaulle - he misses a rifle shot because the first person he tries to pin a medal on is so short he has to bend over. Such a small detail that saved his life.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 23 2007, 10:53 PM)
QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Dec 23 2007, 04:36 PM)

unsure.gif

Aye, I just act stupid to offset the possible stuffiness vibe I might otherwise emanate...

biggrin.gif

ph34r.gif