Vista & Pirated Software

Padfoot

Hey fellow TRF'ers,

I reciently (well, opened the box yesterday) got a new laptop, and it has come with vista. laugh.gif I don't understand it yet, but anyway, my question was that I have heard that Vista wouldn't run pirated software.. and My copy of Photoshop is pirated. Have any of you had issues or anything, before I install it and break my computer?

Thanks! smile.gif

QUOTE (padfoot @ Nov 27 2007, 01:02 PM)
Hey fellow TRF'ers,
I reciently (well, opened the box yesterday) got a new laptop, and it has come with vista. laugh.gif I don't understand it yet, but anyway, my question was that I have heard that Vista wouldn't run pirated software.. and My copy of Photoshop is pirated. Have any of you had issues or anything, before I install it and break my computer?

Thanks! smile.gif

Not before you get 40 lashes for using pirated software

bd.gif

tongue.gif laugh.gif

PS My cousin lives in Kitchener smile.gif

QUOTE (padfoot @ Nov 27 2007, 07:02 AM)
Hey fellow TRF'ers,

Thanks! smile.gif

Not that I would know or anything......but you won't have a prob........unless PS requires activation (which has nothing to do with Vista)........

QUOTE (Slime @ Dec 30 2007, 02:36 AM)
Why is breaking the law the best alternative?

Cuz Adobe and Microsoft are bazillion dollar corporations. They don't need to charge that kind of price for something that doesn't need to cost so much. So ripping them off is HARDLY a sin or a crime.

I wouldn't pay that much if i had it. no.gif

Did you know the most pirated piece of software is Adobe Photoshop? Or that's what I heard.

Probably.

Anyway, why would anyone want Vista? ... Even ME is better than Vista laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif rofl3.gif

And this right here now is not the time to mention that it's on my laptop..... Vista that is. lol.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 31 2007, 07:00 AM)

Cuz Adobe and Microsoft are bazillion dollar corporations. They don't need to charge that kind of price for something that doesn't need to cost so much. So ripping them off is HARDLY a sin or a crime.

If you...

a ) believe in sin

B ) believe that stealing is a sin

Then logically stealing from ANYBODY is a sin, regardless of their financial status. Is stealing from the rich somehow less of a sin/crime than stealing from the poor? Where do you draw the line? How much money does someone have to have before stealing from them is acceptable? How many people should be allowed to steal from the rich man before it is unacceptable?

I also believe that charging hundreds of dollars for software is ridiculous, but I admit that I don't know how much time and money is spent by Adobe or Microsoft into creating a certain product. Making a piece of high quality software is NOT easy, nor is it cheap. If somebody on this board does work with a software company, they can tell us just how many hours of coding go into every piece of software. The point is us outsiders just DON'T KNOW, so we can't make as educated a guess as to whether Photoshop should cost eight million dollars per minute of use OR whether it should be handed out with Big Macs.

But there are options. You could always find a less expensive piece of software, which is one of the beauties of capitalism (competition drives prices down and quality). The other option, of course, is to NOT have Photoshop. Surprisingly enough, most of the world can live and function without it. It is true that if you are a photographer or video editor, you might have more of a need for some piece of software that can do what Photoshop does, but why do you have the right to have it for free?

Can I go to a store and say "Well I think you are charging too much for that loaf of bread, so I guess that means I better steal it from you"? Is stealing a loaf of bread from Walmart somehow ok, but stealing from the convenience store not? By your logic, since Walmart is also worth billions of dollars and I'm not, I should be able to go into the store and steal whatever I like. Hey, they are worth lots of money, so they can handle it.

As long as I'm teaching economics, like above, I'll lay some more stuff down. One reason that software and other things have become so expensive is because people STEAL them. Software companies know that if they make a product, a certain amount of people will not pay for it. They have to charge a certain amount to make up that difference. This isn't insider knowledge, like I mentioned above, it is basic economics.

So if you truly NEED to have Photoshop, or something like it, pay for it. Make the monetary sacrifice OR go without it. Stealing is still against the law, last time I checked.

QUOTE (nimagraven @ Dec 30 2007, 05:27 PM)
Did you know the most pirated piece of software is Adobe Photoshop? Or that's what I heard.

Probably.

Anyway, why would anyone want Vista? ... Even ME is better than Vista laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif rofl3.gif

And this right here now is not the time to mention that it's on my laptop..... Vista that is. lol.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/barney_rebel/Microsoft_Windows_WHY_ME__by_rebelx.jpg

QUOTE (Slime @ Dec 31 2007, 01:12 AM)

If you...

a ) believe in sin

Then logically stealing from ANYBODY is a sin, regardless of their financial status. Is stealing from the rich somehow less of a sin/crime than stealing from the poor? Where do you draw the line? How much money does someone have to have before stealing from them is acceptable? How many people should be allowed to steal from the rich man before it is unacceptable?

I also believe that charging hundreds of dollars for software is ridiculous, but I admit that I don't know how much time and money is spent by Adobe or Microsoft into creating a certain product. Making a piece of high quality software is NOT easy, nor is it cheap. If somebody on this board does work with a software company, they can tell us just how many hours of coding go into every piece of software. The point is us outsiders just DON'T KNOW, so we can't make as educated a guess as to whether Photoshop should cost eight million dollars per minute of use OR whether it should be handed out with Big Macs.

But there are options. You could always find a less expensive piece of software, which is one of the beauties of capitalism (competition drives prices down and quality). The other option, of course, is to NOT have Photoshop. Surprisingly enough, most of the world can live and function without it. It is true that if you are a photographer or video editor, you might have more of a need for some piece of software that can do what Photoshop does, but why do you have the right to have it for free?

Can I go to a store and say "Well I think you are charging too much for that loaf of bread, so I guess that means I better steal it from you"? Is stealing a loaf of bread from Walmart somehow ok, but stealing from the convenience store not? By your logic, since Walmart is also worth billions of dollars and I'm not, I should be able to go into the store and steal whatever I like. Hey, they are worth lots of money, so they can handle it.

As long as I'm teaching economics, like above, I'll lay some more stuff down. One reason that software and other things have become so expensive is because people STEAL them. Software companies know that if they make a product, a certain amount of people will not pay for it. They have to charge a certain amount to make up that difference. This isn't insider knowledge, like I mentioned above, it is basic economics.

So if you truly NEED to have Photoshop, or something like it, pay for it. Make the monetary sacrifice OR go without it. Stealing is still against the law, last time I checked.

http://freshbread.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/09/04/captainobvious.jpg

QUOTE (Slime @ Dec 31 2007, 02:12 AM)

If you...

a ) believe in sin

Um... yeah. Thanks for the morality lecture, but I'll stick with my pirated version, thanks. yes.gif

Oh and GOD just pm'ed me and wanted to know if I'd burn HIM a copy. HE even thinks Adobe are crooks.

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jan 1 2008, 04:42 AM)
QUOTE (Slime @ Dec 31 2007, 01:12 AM)

If you...

a ) believe in sin

http://freshbread.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/09/04/captainobvious.jpg

I'm always willing to drop the Rock of Obvious on the head of someone who needs it smile.gif

Archived