Question about Star Wars

lerxt1990

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 5 2010, 01:55 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 5 2010, 12:58 PM)
I'll tell you one thing though, the ending of Return of the Jedi was ENORMOUSLY improved by the new ending in the updated version of the movie.  Gone is the really annoying Ewok song, and they replaced it with better music and showing celebrations taking place all over the galaxy, which far more accurately depicts the scope of the victory, not just some little primitive celebration on the moon that happened to house the force field for the Death Star.

Yeah, I've always liked this aspect of Jedi as well. Some of those SE changes are pretty suspect IMO, but at times they made good sense...and that was amongst the BEST of them. It always seemed really isolated that only the folks on Endor were appreciating this victory, so the trip through Coruscant, Naboo, etc. was really a plus in my book.

I agree, but the only problem I have with that ending is this: the ghosts are not consistent! They put an old Yoda, Alec Guinness as Obiwan and Hayden Christenson as Anakin. That irritated the fool out of me when I saw it. I thought, how dumb was that.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jan 5 2010, 11:59 AM)
I'll tell you one thing though, the ending of Return of the Jedi was ENORMOUSLY improved by the new ending in the updated version of the movie.  Gone is the really annoying Ewok song, and they replaced it with better music and showing celebrations taking place all over the galaxy, which far more accurately depicts the scope of the victory, not just some little primitive celebration on the moon that happened to house the force field for the Death Star.

Yeah, I've always liked this aspect of Jedi as well. Some of those SE changes are pretty suspect IMO, but at times they made good sense...and that was amongst the BEST of them. It always seemed really isolated that only the folks on Endor were appreciating this victory, so the trip through Coruscant, Naboo, etc. was really a plus in my book.

I agree, but the only problem I have with that ending is this: the ghosts are not consistent! They put an old Yoda, Alec Guinness as Obiwan and Hayden Christenson as Anakin. That irritated the fool out of me when I saw it. I thought, how dumb was that.

You're right, that was a bit obnoxious.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jan 5 2010, 01:59 PM)

It also doesn't help that a lot of folks despise his performance either.

I guess you could make the arugment that the visage represents his last impression before succumbing to the Dark Side, but it's not something I'd have changed either. In fact I'd probably have never done and SE version to begin with, but it's not my film.

Do notice that Sebastian Shaw's eyebrows were also eliminated in the SE. Like that's a deal-killer! biggrin.gif wink.gif

I guess mostly it doesn't bother me, these things Lucas did...as annoying and -- ultimately -- unnecessary as they may be. On the grand scale, they're inconsequential and nitpicky and dumb, but the folks that go on and on about how they ruin the film I think that's a bunch of hyperbole myself. That's just how I feel.

Should Lucas have left stuff alone? Yeah, probably. With my personality I would have. But again, they're HIS films. They're not ours. I can't stop some guy from shooting himself in the head if he really wants to. That's between he and his maker.

Ultimately, though, even the "bad" changes amount to a mere handful of seconds over 6 hours of film...and some of the changes (like the end celebration in Jedi) arguably help improve things. I'm also rather fond of some of the background changes being fleshed out, like on Bespin (through the window goings-on).

Usually the biggest measuring stick is if you approve or disapprove of the principle of doing it to begin with....because the loudest critics I've found are the ones who are fundatmentally against the tampering to begin with. So in many cases, I'd argue, it has less to do with the actual changes and more to do with how you feel about the idea of changing things.

Edited by Presto-digitation

I'm really bummed. This thread has turned into an actual discussion about Star Wars. sad.gif

tongue.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 5 2010, 12:33 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 5 2010, 11:13 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 5 2010, 11:08 AM)
Oh, and Presto-D, can we please refrain from comparing anyone to a child murdering serial killer in the future?

I can't believe I even have to ask that of you, but there we are.

Well consider the source of the irritation for once. It's always the one who slaps back, huh? As Mandy says....Necro's work here is done once again. Maybe you ought to listen to that. What's that saying???

biggrin.gif

Maybe he should just ignore me as well, no? C'mon. It was said to make a point and the point is it's alright to troll and slap and dodge and weave...until someone does it back. So you can be a total jerk off jack ass....so long as you're not a jerk off jack ass back.

Got it. trink39.gif

Back to being the good poster I am. We'll continue to have our threads ruined by some other jack ass other than myself. Cool.

No, as I said before, you were not receiving blame for what was going on. Necro was clearly wearing his SW troll hat and was having some fun at you SW fans' expense. It's not the first time he's done that ("It's what I do," he says. eyesre4.gif ).

My only point to you and Cocky was, maybe it's better to just ignore him? Don't feed the troll? All he wants is for you guys to react to him, so don't give him what he wants. But I guess it's hard to do that.

A troll is someone who stirs the shit just to get a rise out of people. Necro, you're not a troll, but you act like one sometimes. I know you do it just for fun, but it disrupts threads. Can't you just leave it alone? I know you'll come back with a shitload of laughing smileys now and say how much fun all this is.

"Oh, you guys are so easy to get worked up! z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif "

eyesre4.gif

Geez. Seriously didn't expect THIS. Sorry folks.

I just bust ass. I throw a negative into the mix so that there's at least some kind of discussion about it.

I use the word geek... sue me. In no way, shape or form does saying geek, or geeky, or anything I said warrant the pedophile/serial killer response. I must admit, that one took me aback. I mean, PD can write 5000 words about an album, but he can't go toe to toe about a MOVIE, without stooping to that level.

I thank you, GG and anyone else who berated him for it, and I apologize for not having backed off sooner. I get a huge kick out of reducing fans of this movie to tears. I guess my HUGE explanation about that to 73 wasn't read before PD decided to compare me to Gacy. But whatever.

Using my own thoughts on the matter... what more should I expect from a militant SW fan anyway? Right?

So I'm gonna do my best to just let you guys prattle on about this movie and not get involved anymore. I've felt that most people here knew EXACTLY what I've been doing and WHO I've been aiming it all at. I guess I was wrong.

I formally retire from bashing on the almighty Star Wars. But like many athletes and rappers, I can't promise that I'll stay retired. no.gif I will try though.

But of course that means I'll have to start paying more attention to the Lord of the Rings threads. moon.gif

QUOTE (edie @ Nov 24 2007, 04:34 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Nov 24 2007, 09:59 PM)
The medical driods fabricated this wearable life support for him.  They spared no expense.  This doesn't trouble me as much as the clones being able to kill so many Jedi.

And how did the Stormtroopers go to the bathroom? As soon as I realized they were supposed to be humans in weird white armour, rather than robots, this became a grave concern to me.

Clones inside stormtrooper outfits don't need to go to the bathroom.

I wonder what construction company Vader used to built the first and second Death Stars?

I certainly wouldn't want to pay the worker's compensation monthly premium for those big jobs.

Also I was watching that latest Family Guy blu-ray where they pay homage to "The Empire Strikes Back."

I never realized at the end of the movie that Lando was in fact wearing Hon Solo's clothes.

WTF?

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Nov 24 2007, 07:44 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 25 2007, 05:12 AM)
Lucas dropped the ball with the prequels.  I find so many things wrong with those films.

yes.gif

I also wanted to get Jar Jar Binks & little Anakin in a double headlock...read as: 2 of the most annoying characters in sci-fi history (IMHO, thanks Finbar smile.gif )

I agree Blaze. I hated little Anakin with his bowel hair cut head and bad acting skills.

Jar Jar is by far far one of the worst science fiction characters ever created.

Signed,

Howard The Duck

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 5 2010, 07:09 PM)
Oh, and Presto-D, can we please refrain from comparing anyone to a child murdering serial killer in the future?

Well consider the source of the irritation for once. It's always the one who slaps back, huh? As Mandy says....Necro's work here is done once again. Maybe you ought to listen to that. What's that saying???

biggrin.gif

Maybe he should just ignore me as well, no? C'mon. It was said to make a point and the point is it's alright to troll and slap and dodge and weave...until someone does it back. So you can be a total jerk off jack ass....so long as you're not a jerk off jack ass back.

Got it. trink39.gif

Back to being the good poster I am. We'll continue to have our threads ruined by some other jack ass other than myself. Cool.

No, as I said before, you were not receiving blame for what was going on. Necro was clearly wearing his SW troll hat and was having some fun at you SW fans' expense. It's not the first time he's done that ("It's what I do," he says. eyesre4.gif ).

My only point to you and Cocky was, maybe it's better to just ignore him? Don't feed the troll? All he wants is for you guys to react to him, so don't give him what he wants. But I guess it's hard to do that.

A troll is someone who stirs the shit just to get a rise out of people. Necro, you're not a troll, but you act like one sometimes. I know you do it just for fun, but it disrupts threads. Can't you just leave it alone? I know you'll come back with a shitload of laughing smileys now and say how much fun all this is.

"Oh, you guys are so easy to get worked up! z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif "

eyesre4.gif

I just bust ass. I throw a negative into the mix so that there's at least some kind of discussion about it.

I use the word geek... sue me. In no way, shape or form does saying geek, or geeky, or anything I said warrant the pedophile/serial killer response. I must admit, that one took me aback. I mean, PD can write 5000 words about an album, but he can't go toe to toe about a MOVIE, without stooping to that level.

I thank you, GG and anyone else who berated him for it, and I apologize for not having backed off sooner. I get a huge kick out of reducing fans of this movie to tears. I guess my HUGE explanation about that to 73 wasn't read before PD decided to compare me to Gacy. But whatever.

Using my own thoughts on the matter... what more should I expect from a militant SW fan anyway? Right?

So I'm gonna do my best to just let you guys prattle on about this movie and not get involved anymore. I've felt that most people here knew EXACTLY what I've been doing and WHO I've been aiming it all at. I guess I was wrong.

I formally retire from bashing on the almighty Star Wars. But like many athletes and rappers, I can't promise that I'll stay retired. no.gif I will try though.

But of course that means I'll have to start paying more attention to the Lord of the Rings threads. moon.gif

See ya in the Dream Theater thread ! laugh.gif tongue.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 5 2010, 07:28 PM)
Lucas dropped the ball with the prequels.  I find so many things wrong with those films.

yes.gif

I also wanted to get Jar Jar Binks & little Anakin in a double headlock...read as: 2 of the most annoying characters in sci-fi history (IMHO, thanks Finbar smile.gif )

I agree Blaze. I hated little Anakin with his bowel hair cut head and bad acting skills.

Signed,

Howard The Duck

LOL at bowel haircut. I have seen a bowl cut but never a bowel. Sounds downright shitty.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 5 2010, 05:10 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 5 2010, 07:28 PM)

yes.gif

Signed,

Howard The Duck

LOL at bowel haircut. I have seen a bowl cut but never a bowel. Sounds downright shitty.

HAHAHA! Glad you caught that Ways!

I was thinking of all the times the word "horseshit" was written on the Ouija Board Thread.

Actually that little boy's acting was quite shitty.

Just like Hayden Christensen's acting too!

I can't believe he killed all of those Tusken Raiders! Boy and girl Tuskens as well!

I think Al Davis of the Oakland Raiders needs to be tortured with a lightsaber!

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 5 2010, 07:47 PM)

biggrin.gif

Got it. trink39.gif

eyesre4.gif

Nope. Found out that even there people can't take a joke. pokey.gif

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 5 2010, 09:35 PM)

biggrin.gif

Got it. trink39.gif

eyesre4.gif

tongue.gif

Were freeeeeee !!!!!!!! common001.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 5 2010, 09:59 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 5 2010, 09:35 PM)

biggrin.gif

Got it. trink39.gif

eyesre4.gif

tongue.gif

Were freeeeeee !!!!!!!! common001.gif

1022.gif 2.gif 653.gif : pepsi:

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 5 2010, 06:09 PM)

biggrin.gif

Got it. trink39.gif

eyesre4.gif

To be fair, you're not being criticized for your use of the work "geek." All of us in this thread recognize we're geeks on some level for liking any of this SW/comic book stuff, and the term is used affectionately. Even being a Rush fan requires some level of geekiness, unless you're strictly a fan of the first album and nothing else. 1022.gif

And as I said, I know you're just trying to have some fun and aren't really a troll. But you also have to know when to quit. Sometimes you don't, and you keep hammering away long after the joke ceased being funny. That's all.

Of course I agreed that the Gacy pic that P-d posted was a bit of a cheap shot. My co-admin had that covered.