Fargo vs. Lebowski

lerxt1990

I typically enjoy Cohen Brothers movies, but these are not among my favorites. (skyswing ducks)

Here's why: I usually do not like things that are overdone, and in my opinion, the violence in "Fargo" and the language in "Lebowski" are way over the top.

Yes, war movies are among my favorites, but the language and violence in most of them is understandable (i.e., cussing when a shell lands six feet from you).

There are merits in both Lebowski and Fargo. For some time after seeing Fargo, I'd just blurt out "I love you Marge" in my best Minnesota-Dakota accent and hey, you can't think about White Russians without thinking about Lebowski.

My favorite Cohen Brothers movies are "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" and "The Hudsucker Proxy."

Edited by skyswing

QUOTE (skyswing @ Nov 30 2007, 10:59 AM)
I typically enjoy Cohen Brothers movies, but these are not among my favorites. (skyswing ducks)
Here's why: I usually do not like things that are overdone, and in my opinion, the violence in "Fargo" and the language in "Lebowski" are way over the top.
Yes, war movies are among my favorites, but the language and violence in most of them is understandable (i.e., cussing when a shell lands six feet from you).
There are merits in both Lebowski and Fargo. For some time after seeing Fargo, I'd just blurt out "I love you Marge" in my best Minnesota-Dakota accent and hey, you can't think about White Russians without thinking about Lebowski.
My favorite Cohen Brothers movies are "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" and "The Hudsucker Proxy."

The Hudsucker Proxy is one of my all time favorites.

'Oh Brother Where Art Thou" was pretty good but dragged a little for a comedy.

QUOTE (skyswing @ Nov 30 2007, 10:59 AM)

The violence in Fargo is how I would imagine sociopaths behave. Also, the violence is no more over the top than in Goodfellas.

I know people who talk the characters in The Big Lebowski.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 30 2007, 09:27 PM)
Im watching Fargo now on dig cable, this is so good. The phone scenes with Muscemi and Macy are priceless..

"What the heck you mean?"
"What the heck you mean!!??!!!"

"I'm not gonna debate you, Jerry. I'm not gonna debate."

"That's the first thing you've said in the last four hours. That's a fountain of conversation there, buddy. That's a geyser. I don't have to talk either, man! See how you like it. Just total f*ckin' silence. Two can play at that game, smart guy. We'll just see how you like it. Total silence."

"You have no call to get snippy with me; I'm just trying to do my job here."

"Well, the little guy was kinda funny-lookin'." (Frequent description of Buscemi in the film.)

"You betcha! Yah."

"You're darned tootin'!"

I think I'll have to go with Fargo as well. Much more compelling story; Lebowski is more a comedy of errors. I also prefer Steve Buscemi when he's a chatterbox as opposed to not-a-chatterbox.

"Just a little of the ol' in-an'-out, ya know? A little of the ol in-an'-out."

"Shut the f*ck up, Donny."

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 2 2007, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 30 2007, 09:27 PM)
Im watching Fargo now on dig cable, this is so good.  The phone scenes with Muscemi and Macy are priceless..

"What the heck you mean?"
"What the heck you mean!!??!!!"

"I'm not gonna debate you, Jerry. I'm not gonna debate."

"That's the first thing you've said in the last four hours. That's a fountain of conversation there, buddy. That's a geyser. I don't have to talk either, man! See how you like it. Just total f*ckin' silence. Two can play at that game, smart guy. We'll just see how you like it. Total silence."

"You have no call to get snippy with me; I'm just trying to do my job here."

"Well, the little guy was kinda funny-lookin'." (Frequent description of Buscemi in the film.)

"You betcha! Yah."

"You're darned tootin'!"

How about that interview with the cop and that old bartender dude.

"Ohhhh he was funny lookin'."

"In what way?"

"Ohhhh I dunno in a general kind a way."

CLASSIC!

Macy and Buscemi are brilliant in this film.

"Hey Margie, hows the Fricasee?"

The accents are great too.

Ive seen how much food and eating enters into this story well. Like when they go back to Gustafson, his accountant, and Macy, and the accountant is chewing slowly staring into space chewling like a cow.