A vision of students today

Slime

Students want to complain about how "bad" they have it.

I want to complain about bad students.

Some of this video is interesting. Certainly parts about "20,000 of debt after school" are things that may need to be addressed, but other things are just plain WHINING about things that don't matter. I fail to find ONE stat in this video that prevents a student from buckling down and doing the work.

I graduated in 2007.

I haven't seen the video (mainly because my comp is ultra slow). But about the 'whining about things that don't matter'...that could be said about ANYTHING. Most things don't REALLY matter. I've whined enough in my time and 99% of the time it was about stuff that didn't matter. No disrespect but complaining about bad students doesn't really matter either (and 'no' I'm not saying that you're whining).

I, and the video, mention a specific CONTEXT wherein the whining is unjustified. Let's not turn this into a philosophical debate about the universal meaning of whining. Let us instead talk about the specific points brought up in the video, and why THAT stuff is indeed whining.

I think whining is different from complaining. I hope I am doing the latter, because if students really feel this way (as seen in the video), then society is in a lot of trouble.

I didn't watch the video, but I can agree that there is no reason for students to not buckle down and work.

I'm in my first year, and I only have 8 hours contact time a week, with 6 of those coming on one day. Personally, I find it highly boring doing the things i'd normally do after school, recreational activities, for roughly 6 days a week.

Shhh!! Adults might hear you!! (I'm still in high school)

tongue.gif

Just kidding. I see what you're getting at, though I'm not really able to watch the video now (slow computer). People complain about how tough school work is and stuff, but it's really not, if you're paying attention in school (it's not as if there's anything better to do ... ). Besides, you can always ask questions, stay after school for help, go see teachers during flex time, whatever. There are plenty of ways to get the work done.

I get all my stuff done, currently hold a 97% overall average, and still have time for swimming/water polo team, music, guitar, hanging with friends, TRF ...

(I think this is what the whole discussion is about from the other posters and stuff, sorry if I'm wrong)

QUOTE (Slime @ Nov 22 2007, 10:05 PM)
I, and the video, mention a specific CONTEXT wherein the whining is unjustified. Let's not turn this into a philosophical debate about the universal meaning of whining. Let us instead talk about the specific points brought up in the video, and why THAT stuff is indeed whining.

I think whining is different from complaining. I hope I am doing the latter, because if students really feel this way (as seen in the video), then society is in a lot of trouble.

I couldnt agree with you more. My students (undergraduate and graduate college students0 are the biggest bunch of whiners you ever heard (not all of them, but a growing percentage) smile.gif

Wah wah wah, the work is hard. Wah wah wah we had to figure it out on our own. Wah wah wah we had to read a book instead of having f-cking Robin Williams act out the energy balances in a comedy sketch on my iPod, wah wah wah. smile.gif

The $ is a different issue, and I would agree that the cost of higher education is scandalous.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 24 2007, 10:36 PM)
Wah wah wah, the work is hard. Wah wah wah we had to figure it out on our own. Wah wah wah we had to read a book instead of having f-cking Robin Williams act out the energy balances in a comedy sketch on my iPod, wah wah wah. smile.gif

rofl3.gif

i see where this is coming from...i did actually WATCH the video!

i know costs are rising for college. i'm applying (or planning to apply) for any and every scholarship i'm eligible for, because i know my family can't afford to saddle on the necessary debt to send me and i don't want to be tens of thousands of dollars in the red after i graduate from college. i've been doing everything i can to achieve this since i was a freshman (i'm a senior now).

i'm first in my class, GPA 4.875, i do community service 3 days a week and i work ridiculously hard, academically speaking. and i have friends. i'm working on a thousand-word paper as i speak, which isn't such a big deal, but there you go. 7 hours of sleep every night would be nice. as a matter of fact, i was up til 3.30 the other night/morning working on a college application...went to bed, had to wake up at 4am to start the day.

sometimes i complain just because i feel like it...i get cranky too laugh.gif mostly though, students are all talk. i know i personally don't have the time to spark an educational revolution, and no one else really cares. we lack commitment. so please, just bear with us! wacko.gif

Archived