Star Trek - The Menagerie

rushgoober

Last night Robin (the wife) and I went to see The Menagerie with our pal Bill (aka Grizz or Grandpa Grizz).

The Menagerie was one of the first original Star Trek episodes back in 1966 and was a 2-part episode that included a lot of material from the original pilot called The Cage that written and edited in to this story. It's a particularly well-written sci-fi story (by Gene Roddenberry himself), the acting was great and the audience laughed in all the right places when things got a little cheesy (which they always did with the original Star Trek).

The visuals were amazingly cleaned up and enhanced using modern technology, some of the special effects upated (though remarkably completely unobtrusive) and the orchestral score re-recorded. The special effects updates were really cool, giving it a more modern look while remaining very faithful to the original.

Admittedly, it was odd watching a tv show in a movie theater, but it was great fun on a huge curved screen in amazing clarity. Apparently this was part of some network that does special events like this in movie theaters around the country (and maybe in Canada???) periodically and broadcasts the movies via satellite. It was only playing last night and tomorrow night and the tickets were $10 which is a little pricey.

It also served as a commercial for season 1 of the original Star Trek available in HD DVD with the same enhancements of The Menagerie. Season 2 is on its way in 2008.

I gotta say, it was almost enough to make me buy a high definition television so I could buy the dvd's. Alas, that's an expense for another day. Still, mucho fun was had by all. Normally you would never find me in a movie theater on a Tuesday night, but this was worth it.

Edited by rushgoober

Star Trek will not go away. When you get right down to it, it's all about storytelling and Star Trek, in general, has always done it well.

There might be A LOT more Star Trek coming. J.J. Abrams' "reboot" will determine that.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 14 2007, 01:37 PM)
Star Trek will not go away. When you get right down to it, it's all about storytelling and Star Trek, in general, has always done it well.

There might be A LOT more Star Trek coming. J.J. Abrams' "reboot" will determine that.

I was watching that episode from 1966 and saw so many things that hadn't been invented yet. Computers existed, but they had monitors that looked exactly like modern day monitors (especially the ones before flat screens). They also had a rudimentary flip cell phone (communicator) and automatic doors. Noticing all of that was really pretty cool.

I was also thinking that for a 2 hour television show on a big screen, it sure was a hell of a lot better than a great deal of the actual real "movies" I've seen on a big screen. yes.gif

They really did a good job on this, and I highly approve. The purists always have the original DVD version, and the rest of us have a picture that is free from scratches and has vibrant color and deeper contrast. It's much more 3-D and the closeups are stunning. In The Menagerie the Cage scenes that are viewed on the Enterprise monitor are the old picture that suddenly becomes the new picture once the monitor frame disappears. That really highlights the difference.

The old exterior special effects simply wouldn't work with the vastly improved picture. As was pointed out in the 'remastering of' featurette, the effects would have been done this way originally if they had had the technology.

Star Trek is iconic of it's era, the sixties, a time of dreams. This loving update in quality will insure it's endurance as a time capsule for future generations.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 14 2007, 06:47 PM)
QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Nov 14 2007, 05:31 PM)
Star Trek is iconic of it's era, the sixties, a time of dreams. This loving update in quality will insure it's endurance as a time capsule for future generations.

That... that's beautiful!

fists crying.gif

Oh, shut up! eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Nov 15 2007, 03:29 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 14 2007, 06:47 PM)
QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Nov 14 2007, 05:31 PM)

That... that's beautiful!

fists crying.gif

Oh, shut up! eyesre4.gif

laugh.gif

tongue.gif

wub.gif

I went and it was cool. Only about thirty people in the audience confused13.gif . The remastering is amazing and it can best be compared to the Star Wars Special Edition in that additional effects and visuals have been added and original effects have been updated. Some of what we were given sneak peaks of were better than effects in the movies. It looks like they spent a lot of money and time making these episodes look as good as possible. Interestingly, it was pointed out in the intro that if you don't have an HDDVD player each disc is double sided with one side being in standard DVD format.