Live CD along side the S&A dvd?

The Owl

Just a question, do you think they will also release a live CD along side the Snakes and Arrows live DVD? If so do you think it will be released with the DVD (like the 4 disc edition of r30) or seperate (such as Rush in Rio was released as a CD and a DVD seperatly)

I don't care how they are packaged, but I just hope there is a Cd to go with the DVD as well.

Well, I've just this week stopped buying CDs (for moral reasons, don't like to support record companies' lawsuits against downloaders), but I'd still probably buy that, because it's Rush.

I don't know if they will release a CD...S&A itself only sold about 250,000 copies, and that's with the new-album hype surrounding it, it was their first collection of new material in five years. Considering the huge decline in CD sales in the last few years, it probably won't be worth it to release it on CD if it's only going to appeal to a small portion of their fanbase.

Their Rio and R30 DVDs have been consistent sellers, but what kind of numbers did the Rio 3-CD set do? Probably not too much. As far as live releases go, it's worthwhile from a financial standpoint for Rush to keep documenting their tours on DVD. But CD? Maybe not as much. And frankly, I don't care. It's very easy to rip the audio from DVDs on Audacity. All you need is a cord with one end going into the headphone jack on your computer and the other end going into the "Line" input. If you want audio from the S&A tour DVD for your iPod or whatever, you will be able to get it.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Oct 28 2007, 07:09 PM)
It'd be nice to have, just like having Rio as a DVD and CD set.

But when you've got proper speakers hooked up to your DVD player, live cd's are pointless if a DVD is also out. Especially seeing as this'll probably be 5.1, and the CD 2.0.

Well for me the most time I listen to music is in my Car, or while walking in between classes (while commuiting). I would love a CD

QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 28 2007, 07:47 PM)

But when you've got proper speakers hooked up to your DVD player, live cd's are pointless if a DVD is also out. Especially seeing as this'll probably be 5.1, and the CD 2.0.

Well for me the most time I listen to music is in my Car, or while walking in between classes (while commuiting). I would love a CD

Just get a DVD audio extractor and make your own CD from the DVD, like Puppetking suggested. If they're sold separately, you won't have to blow another $20!

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Oct 28 2007, 05:39 PM)

Just get a DVD audio extractor and make your own CD from the DVD, like Puppetking suggested. If they're sold separately, you won't have to blow another $20!

No, if they sold them separately, I think I would have to buy the CD, just because I buy every Rush thing that isn't a best-of.

But I'd definitely not be heartbroken if they didn't release one.

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Oct 28 2007, 08:39 PM)

I would gladly spend the $20

QUOTE (pt2112 @ Oct 28 2007, 09:40 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Oct 29 2007, 01:39 AM)
CDs are useless, antiquated objects.

Well as you said, it is Rush.

This is true. And I certainly would buy a CD were they to release one, for that very reason. But there's no point.

i certainly hope there is a cd version one way or another. i hardly ever watch music dvd's but i listen to cd's all the time. we don't all have super-duper dvd players and hd widescreen tv's with our enormous speakers hooked up to them, so it would be nice to have a choice.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Oct 29 2007, 12:00 AM)
Well, I've just this week stopped buying CDs (for moral reasons, don't like to support record companies' lawsuits against downloaders)

that is quite funny. moral reasons? so you condone theft of copyrighted material? very strange.

O.K back to the origional question....

If they do release a CD. Do you think it will be apart of the DVD set as a special edition (like the r30 CD was included with the r30 DVD) or do you think it will be sold seperatly (like Rush and Rio CD is seperate from the Rush in Rio DVD0

Personally I think they will include a Cd with the DVD (in a delux edition) like they did for the r30 dvd.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Oct 29 2007, 06:39 AM)
CDs are useless, antiquated objects.

I very much prefer CD's. I like having something physical on my shelf.

I certainly don't download from iTunes! The highest frequencies are compressed and gone for good!

It is losless audio all the way for me!

All the setlists have been the same from night to night so far (with the exception of a couple routine song-rotations), and there are dozens of near-official-release-quality bootlegs floating around and extremely easy to access. if its a matter of having the exact show on audio (which I don't quite understand), there is the option of using some sort of ripping or line-in recording program to get audio.

Also, there's already a thread in MotS for arguing about downloading vs. buying.

I'd prefer it like the S&A MVI. A DVD with MP3 version as a bonus. So I can listen to it on my iPod without feeling gulty.

I don't like lossy formats too, but my iPod does... eh.gif

(Edited to talk about lossless formats)

Archived