John Bonham

dr.nobraino

I dont drum, but admire many who play today and in the past. . .

one of my faves is Bonham....... just his style, power, and humor made him who he was...... after '75 weight, alcohol, other vices started to affect his playing IMHO

I thought the 72-3 time for John was his best....

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jan 4 2005, 01:33 AM)
Bonham or Led Zep never did much for me. (Runs and hides) unsure.gif

bd.gif How dare you?!? Just kidding. Im not obsessed with them either but i still appreciate and respect what they did for music. My favorite Bonham period was LZ 2-4. then they kinda lost me. not completly though.

QUOTE (RushGuru @ Jan 9 2005, 02:19 AM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jan 4 2005, 01:33 AM)

bd.gif How dare you?!? Just kidding. Im not obsessed with them either but i still appreciate and respect what they did for music. My favorite Bonham period was LZ 2-4. then they kinda lost me. not completly though.

icon_really_happy_guy.gif Yeah, same here. They have good music and are one of my favorite bands, but I like Rush and The Who much better. I also appreciate their music and what they did was great. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jan 4 2005, 03:33 AM)

mad.gif You BETTER! mad.gif

fing.gif Oh well, to each his/her own. tongue.gif

John Bonham was the power, glory, & thunder of the Hammer of the Gods!

Having said that, I still must say The Professor is the better technical drummer, and my preferred drummer of choice.

NeilFinal.gif

But I STILL love Bonzo's style and fire!

QUOTE (Rhiannon_of_Rivendell @ Jan 11 2005, 11:07 AM)

mad.gif You BETTER! mad.gif

fing.gif Oh well, to each his/her own. tongue.gif

John Bonham was the power, glory, & thunder of the Hammer of the Gods!

Having said that, I still must say The Professor is the better technical drummer, and my preferred drummer of choice.

NeilFinal.gif

But I STILL love Bonzo's style and fire!

I don't doubt their integrity as musicians, especially with all the praise I hear for them, the music never did anything for me. confused13.gif

My favorite Bonzo period was 77'. Between audio/video bootlegs and photos from the 77' tour, I would have to say that Bonzo was at his prime. Those stainless-steel Ludwigs he started playing at that time just looked and sounded intense! Bonzo was also a real fat ass at that time too, which just made him look mean as hell. He always had a pair of mirrored cop shades on with a wife-beater shirt or a fake tuxedo looking outfit he'd always wear.

I agree Bonham's power was something else, Led Zep IV - When The Levee breaks - oh man, but also Physical Graffiti - In My Time Of Dying - just an amazing performance

and yeh check out the recent Zep live DVD (and CD)

I didn't get into Bonham much when he was alive, but in retrospect I've come to appreciate him more, mostly because there are few drummers in recent times that do much for me. I started listening to more Zep about 10 years ago or so and really like his work on Presence (Achilles Lat Stand and Nobody's Fault but Mine especially) and Houses of the Holy (The Song Remains The Same, The Crunge, The Ocean).

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 5 2005, 02:33 AM)
really like his work on Presence (Achilles Lat Stand and Nobody's Fault but Mine especially) and Houses of the Holy (The Song Remains The Same, The Crunge, The Ocean).

Achilles Last Stand is one of my all-time favorites.

One thing I can say about Bonham is that he really made everything he did look simple. He played nearly effortlessly, and his drums sounded sweet! Natural sounding....

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 21 2005, 09:12 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jan 11 2005, 06:42 AM)

ohmy.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif It's just your opinion. You don't have to run and hide from me! laugh.gif

i really like all of gonzo's drumming he has an amazing foot and knows when not to play to make some killer rhythms....i like your sig..don martin?

My favorite period was probably around 1974-75.

I don't see how anyone who likes clasic rock can NOT like Zep. Especially a drummer. Gonzo is like a drum GOD or something. His Studio work was awesome but his ability to improvise beats all I've ever seen. yes.gif

i can't say i like led zep either, and the drumming doesn't do much for me. i think bonham is greatly over rated, sure he creates a lot of noise, but that's about it.

Wow at some of these posts of people who don't realize a real drummer when they see one. I wouldn't expect that from Rush fans at all. Wow, just wow. Sometimes I feel like I'm reading a Poison or Bon Jovi forum instead of a Rush forum lol. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Indica @ Sep 21 2005, 12:30 PM)
Wow at some of these posts of people who don't realize a real drummer when they see one. I wouldn't expect that from Rush fans at all. Wow, just wow. Sometimes I feel like I'm reading a Poison or Bon Jovi forum instead of a Rush forum lol.  laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Who woulda thought EH? unsure.gif

I agree with YOU trink39.gif