Okay... I'm a total noob but...

GeddyLeefan2112

Seeing Rush in concert has really inspired me... I've been watching Geddy Lee play for several weeks now and... wow I just... I really want to learn.

So I want some suggestions about some (hopefully CHEAPER) good starting basses... and like...everything I need... because I really don't know unsure.gif

I know... I'm a noob...but I want to learn!

I can't speak for the Ibanez, but there's no way I'd touch a Squier bass with a 10-foot pole.

Get a MIM (Mexican-made) Fender Jazz. I just "downscaled" -- I sold my underused Music Man bass and used the proceeds to buy a MIM Fender Jazz 5-string AND a MIM Fender Stratocaster. The leap in quality between the (Chinese-made) Squier instruments and the Mexican Fenders is huge, much more than the price difference would suggest.

I can definitely tell these instruments are not of the quality of my old bass. The bass pickups have more buzz, and the guitar is kind of hard to get in tune (but it usually stays in tune pretty well, once it IS in tune, even with heavy tremolo use).

Anyway... that's my suggestion. Mexican-made Fenders. smile.gif

QUOTE (mortkort @ Sep 20 2007, 02:35 PM)
These are nice beginner basses:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Iba...Bass?sku=519524

or if you want to have a bass kinda like the geddy bass;

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squ...Bass?sku=519639

a good one is the ibanez....my friend has one.....or if your rly rich.....get a rickenbacker lol

rfl:

then youll need an amp.......just get a cheap one..i think you can find a good one for $50.....just go to a local music store and ask an emploeye for a cheap amp...

its easier for a begginer to use picks....so id get some heavy picks......

then if u wanna learn songs...start with message in a bottle by the police.....

once u get kinda good then u can do some rush..........im not sure are easy bass rush songs...youll have to ask bass players on the forum...whcih one i am not but my bro plyas bass and im guitar myself so i know equipment and easy songs....even for bass

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

It honestly depends on your budget. If it's very low, these basses above aren't going to do it. Next, Ibanez is probably best for women. It has a very slim neck, making it easier for most women to wrap their hands & paly properly.

However, if you do want to get a closer sound to Geddy, go for a jazz bass. The better the model, the better the sound.

Unfortunately, the lowest price tag for a bass really is this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/b...631%2e024%2e069

The problem that you my encounter is the amp. Since this may be a be a problem, you might need to bump up a bit & get a beginners setup. While Squier is not the best, the price range will dictate the actual product (You know, you get what you pay for). So, if you can buy a beginner's setup due to a low budget, go for it.

One thing I forgot to ask, are you left-handed or right-handed? This is important because this also dictate's $$$. Some lefties learn how to play righty but this can be daunting & might frustrate you.

As for playing with a pick, I'd learn to play both ways. You need to learn how to play with your fingers (which to some is considered the 'proper' way) & learn to play with a pick (there are times when you need a certain sound)

Another option is to go used. Many people will trade up to the next level which will leave a used bass in the price range you are hoping for. Go to www.guitarcenter.com & www.samash.com for some learning of the product. Go to either store, pick up basses & start playing notes (just pluck the strings & get a feel of the bass). It doesn't matter if you pick up a $1400 bass or a $99 bass....The reason is to get an idea of which basses manufacturer's you like. What feels good. etc....Don't think you don't what feels right in your hand, you will know. It will feel good.

Next, if you need more help, there are plenty of people here that would like to help. I used to work for GC, so my expertise might come in handy. Just let me know if you need more help....

DT

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Sep 22 2007, 09:53 AM)
Go to your nearest music store and ask if they have a Samick Fairlane bass. They run about $220, but mine has amazing tone and isn't too hard to play. There are easier basses, but they run about $700. Samick is a steal. smile.gif

True...Samick does make guitars for Fender & other companies.

QUOTE (Sabs89 @ Sep 24 2007, 10:19 PM)
I like the Fender P Bass.

I like the Jazz better...More tonal range.

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Sep 25 2007, 09:59 PM)

I'll second that! trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushbass @ Sep 25 2007, 11:01 PM)

I'll second that! trink39.gif

trink39.gif

Yes, the Jazz is cool, very easy to play and nice range of sounds from the deep punchy mid pickup to the "nasal" sounding bridge pickup. I have always loved the Jazz Bass, and don't even regret selling my Music Man in exchange for a MIM Jazz! (There's some slight buzz with the MIM's cheaper pickups, but the Jazz just "feels" right, has more personality, and weighs about half as much!!!)

goodpost.gif

Thank you, I've been fighting this battle for a while now.

Oh, I suggest you get a fender of some sorts (jazz is best).

And try to use your fingers instead of a pick, you'll get nasty blisters, but trust me, IT'S WORTH IT!

Good luck! biggrin.gif

either a Squier starter Pack (better amp)

or an Ibanez (better bass)

But as much as any one says

Squier basses are pretty solid

i have a P and fretless jazz. Ibanez basses are really good to.

The Fender Rumble has a very clear clean tone. Those amps are well worth the 330 bucks for the 100. Just they are really heavy

QUOTE (makehaste2112 @ Sep 26 2007, 12:45 AM)

goodpost.gif

Thank you, I've been fighting this battle for a while now.

Oh, I suggest you get a fender of some sorts (jazz is best).

And try to use your fingers instead of a pick, you'll get nasty blisters, but trust me, IT'S WORTH IT!

Good luck! biggrin.gif

goodpost.gif The fingers gives you more range as well. Chris Squire does use a quarter for his sound but I believe he does use his fingers on some songs. Stick with fingers.....

QUOTE (BL2112 @ Sep 26 2007, 08:24 PM)
either a Squier starter Pack (better amp)
or an Ibanez (better bass)

But as much as any one says

Squier basses are pretty solid

i have a P and fretless jazz. Ibanez basses are really good to.

The Fender Rumble has a very clear clean tone. Those amps are well worth the 330 bucks for the 100. Just they are really heavy

Women have an easier time with Ibanez due to the thinner neck.

QUOTE (BL2112 @ Sep 27 2007, 08:28 PM)
Is that directed at me as me being a wimp or saying that ibanezs have a slim neck?

oops.gif Sorry. The original poster is female (I believe) & if not, I also apologize for that. Yes, the Ibanez's have a slimmer neck & is very comfortable for most people who have smaller hands.

You can get a used Fender Precision or Fender Jazz for about $300, and they're great instruments. (They're the standard for most basses that followed, and if you ever need replacement parts, there are about five dozen companies that make parts which fit.)

I disagree with "Room 34" (above) about the Squier series of cheap Fender basses. Most are very good for beginners, and a new Squier is much cheaper ($279) than a new Fender ($800+). And the "Mexican made" Fenders that he recommends went through an 80s phase where they were made very poorly; if you end up with a circa-1980s Mexican Fender, you may or may not end up with a crappy bass.

A used Fender or a new Squier are my suggestions - both will only run you $250-300. Take your pick between the Precision and Jazz models.

One last word: avoid the cheap basses made by Cort. They often market these pieces of poop in "student" packages, supposedly for the beginner. Parents buy them for $99 as Christmas presents for Junior, who has expressed interest in learning guitar or bass. (I asked for a guitar when I was 6 or 7, and Mom bought me a cheap acoustic toy; buying a Cort isn't much different.) You get what you pay for: basses by Cort are crap. And for God's sake, buy your instrument at a music store, not at Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, or FYE; the "instruments" sold at those places are generic and cheezy.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 28 2007, 08:57 AM)

One last word: avoid the cheap basses made by Cort. They often market these pieces of poop in "student" packages, supposedly for the beginner. Parents buy them for $99 as Christmas presents for Junior, who has expressed interest in learning guitar or bass. (I asked for a guitar when I was 6 or 7, and Mom bought me a cheap acoustic toy; buying a Cort isn't much different.) You get what you pay for: basses by Cort are crap. And for God's sake, buy your instrument at a music store, not at Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, or FYE; the "instruments" sold at those places are generic and cheezy.

Totally take this advice. Not only will you get crap, but when and if you need a repair on your bass ( or any instrument bought at these outfits for that matter), you'll end up taking it to a music shop and they will not be able to repair it. It will need to be sent back to the original factory, and heaven knows where that may be.

I know this because my father repairs musical instruments, as well as rent them to schools (in addition to his band...he's a busy dude!). But he always bitches that he'll offer someone a good quaility instrument for cheaper than new, but then the people will go to BJ's and get one to save $100. Then the break in about a week, bring them to us and there isn't a thing we can do, because we don't have the parts for it.

I'm not sure how often a guitar or bass "breaks", but a few more bucks of investment is well worth it, like GeddyRulz says.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 28 2007, 10:02 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 28 2007, 08:57 AM)

One last word:  avoid the cheap basses made by Cort.  They often market these pieces of poop in "student" packages, supposedly for the beginner.  Parents buy them for $99 as Christmas presents for Junior, who has expressed interest in learning guitar or bass.  (I asked for a guitar when I was 6 or 7, and Mom bought me a cheap acoustic toy; buying a Cort isn't much different.)  You get what you pay for: basses by Cort are crap.  And for God's sake, buy your instrument at a music store, not at Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, or FYE; the "instruments" sold at those places are generic and cheezy.

Totally take this advice. Not only will you get crap, but when and if you need a repair on your bass ( or any instrument bought at these outfits for that matter), you'll end up taking it to a music shop and they will not be able to repair it. It will need to be sent back to the original factory, and heaven knows where that may be.

I know this because my father repairs musical instruments, as well as rent them to schools (in addition to his band...he's a busy dude!). But he always bitches that he'll offer someone a good quaility instrument for cheaper than new, but then the people will go to BJ's and get one to save $100. Then the break in about a week, bring them to us and there isn't a thing we can do, because we don't have the parts for it.

I'm not sure how often a guitar or bass "breaks", but a few more bucks of investment is well worth it, like GeddyRulz says.

yes.gif Totally agreed here - it's like buying an old school Sears & Roebuck instrument 062802puke_prv.gif

You are much better off spending a little more money to get a better quality instrument. If you were to buy a used bass at, say, Guitar Center - you can also get a Performance Guarantee on it (basically an extended warranty) too. Plus you get 30 days to try it out and if it doesn't work out you can return it. I would definitely go with a used jazz or P bass. Even better if you can find a used Geddy Lee Jazz Bass heart.gif

Hey iluvgeddy05 - my dad repairs instruments too! laugh.gif