What changes for second leg might they make?

ReflectedLight

All I'd hope is that they'd permanently axe "Summertime Blues." I hope they don't cut down on the number of S&A songs played, but if they wanted to switch a couple out and replace them with other S&A songs, I'd be fine with that. Other than that, I love it the way it is.

I agree with removing SB permanently.

Also, if they wanted to keep the same amount of S & A songs, but replace one of them, that would be cool.

I would like them to possibly change 1 or two songs from the past, just to keep it fresh for many of us who will be seeing them again on the second leg.

Maybe replace One little victory with Earthshine or another tune from VT, and Freewill with Jacob's Ladder.

If not, just to keep it fresh for the second go around.

I think, especially now that summer's pretty much over, "DEW" should be a permanent replacement for "Summertime Blues."

I'd also suggest some shuffling of the S&A songs (although I think they should keep 9 of them in the setlist for sure!)... in particular, I'd swap out "Spindrift" and replace it with "Faithless."

I loved the S&A songs on this tour, and I got the feeling the boys were giving those songs more careful attention than some of the threadbare classics.

The setlist overall on this tour was great, I think. Lots of stuff we haven't heard live, plus just enough of the essential classics.

Let's be honest: there are 4 songs I really cannot imagine them NOT playing: "Limelight," "Freewill," "The Spirit of Radio" and "Tom Sawyer." To me those are the signature tunes that HAVE to be in the setlist, if for no other reason than to appease the fair weather fans. (I noticed on Sunday night that those 4 songs definitely garnered the biggest crowd reaction.)

I'd like to see The Larger Bowl replaced by Good News First 1022.gif

Take out Entre Nous and put in something like The Pass, Driven, or Time and Motion. It was neat to see such a rare song live, but it's just not one of my favorites.

They could also change Limelight and One Little Victory around. That would be a kick in the ass for the crowd! 1022.gif

QUOTE (fonzbear2000 @ Sep 11 2007, 10:33 PM)
keep or put in new songs from S&A-replace between the wheels, natural science, freewill, circumstances, entre nous, digital man and mission with ALL NEVER before played songs!

Wow - Entre Nous gets put in for the first tour EVER and we're already bitching about it needing replacement?

Faithless? Nope...

QUOTE (Don Quixote @ Sep 12 2007, 09:59 AM)
keep or put in new songs from S&A-replace between the wheels, natural science, freewill, circumstances, entre nous, digital man and mission with ALL NEVER before played songs!

Wow - Entre Nous gets put in for the first tour EVER and we're already bitching about it needing replacement?

Faithless? Nope...

Yeah that Entre Nous talk is CRAZY talk.

That is a major highlight of the show for sooo many fans - myself included.

QUOTE (Room 34 @ Sep 11 2007, 07:26 PM)
The setlist overall on this tour was great, I think. Lots of stuff we haven't heard live, plus just enough of the essential classics.

Other than the S & A stuff there was only one tune never played live, and a handful of others that haven't been played in a long time. I thought Digital Man was pretty darned good and the ending arrangement change was neat to see.

I enjoyed the show - but the one thing that sticks out in my mind is that they are severely limiting themselves setwise because everything is so calculated out. They're having fun but does it really need to be so precisely ordered?

Case in point: I am also (gasp) a Jimmy Buffett fan. When he tours the setlist changes almost nightly, and the encores rotate around different tracks. These guys are far too accomplished players to not be able to do this - although its not really been their forte. It would be cool to see though - and it would be more enjoyable for the diehards who goto more than one show per tour.

Using this as a hypothetical situation (ignore whether Ged could hit notes on some of these songs or not - don't be a flaming idiot), could you imagine one night getting Limelight as an opener, expecting it again in two weeks, and getting Anthem or Bastille Day? Thinking One Little Victory (which is not an encore track IMO) is coming to start the encore and hearing A Farewell To Kings? A full version of Xanadu? Which begs the question - why did Alex even take the Gibson double neck on this tour when he's clearly not going to use it?

QUOTE (Don Quixote @ Sep 12 2007, 09:10 AM)

Other than the S & A stuff there was only one tune never played live, and a handful of others that haven't been played in a long time. I thought Digital Man was pretty darned good and the ending arrangement change was neat to see.

I enjoyed the show - but the one thing that sticks out in my mind is that they are severely limiting themselves setwise because everything is so calculated out. They're having fun but does it really need to be so precisely ordered?

Case in point: I am also (gasp) a Jimmy Buffett fan. When he tours the setlist changes almost nightly, and the encores rotate around different tracks. These guys are far too accomplished players to not be able to do this - although its not really been their forte. It would be cool to see though - and it would be more enjoyable for the diehards who goto more than one show per tour.

Using this as a hypothetical situation (ignore whether Ged could hit notes on some of these songs or not - don't be a flaming idiot), could you imagine one night getting Limelight as an opener, expecting it again in two weeks, and getting Anthem or Bastille Day? Thinking One Little Victory (which is not an encore track IMO) is coming to start the encore and hearing A Farewell To Kings? A full version of Xanadu? Which begs the question - why did Alex even take the Gibson double neck on this tour when he's clearly not going to use it?

Maybe he took the double-neck with him assuming they might make some changes along the way. I guess he likes to be prepared for anything. Maybe we'll see that double-neck on the second leg.

Also, Entre Nous was my favorite tune played. Gave me a great feeling to finally here it.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 12 2007, 11:10 AM)
I've said this on at least 8 simular threads but here goes............

Drop # of S&A songs from 9 to about 5
Drop Summertime blues

I can't venture as to what other changes there will be, or any pickups

I like that idea, but I don't think it's going to happen.

If they were to drop it to 5 tunes from S & A, here are my 5.

Far Cry

Armor and Sword

Workin them Angels

The Main Monkey Business

Mal Nar or Hope

If they tale out Digital Man, Entre Nous or Circumstances somebody's gonna get hurt really bad. angry.gif

I think if they're going to be playing shows in many of the same areas they've already played (only indoors), they really should make some changes to freshen the show up a bit.

Maybe swap out a couple of the S&A tunes...love to hear Bravest Face or We Hold On. (Faithless is the only tune on the record I don't want to hear) Maybe swap out 2 or 3 of the tunes they've played on this tour and R30, like Between the Wheels, Subdivisions, & Dreamline. With what, I don't know. Jacob's Ladder would be great.

Out of the tunes they've never played before, I've never understood why they've never played Cut to the Chase & Alien Shore from CP...great tunes. And so many good tunes from VT that never got played...the title cut, Freeze, just to name 2. Wouldn't mind hearing 1 or 2 of those.

I'd have no problem with keeping Digital Man, Circumstances, & Entre Nous. The new arrangement of DM with that kickass ending has been the highlight of the show for me. Maybe they could be shuffled around a bit in the setlist.

I think since the shows are so tied into the computer programming for the effects and visuals, it can't change too much. They would have to figure out how to program different triggers from show to show with different visuals, etc and I don't think that is doable on tour.

QUOTE (Don Quixote @ Sep 12 2007, 08:59 AM)

Faithless? Nope...

oh! i didn't realize that was the first time they did entre nous! ok, keep that one in-sorry! oops.gif

QUOTE (peartsbeemer @ Sep 12 2007, 04:48 PM)

I think since the shows are so tied into the computer programming for the effects and visuals, it can't change too much. They would have to figure out how to program different triggers from show to show with different visuals, etc and I don't think that is doable on tour.

I can see from a technical standpoint any changes will take some work, but I really hope they throw in a couple of changes. Many of the fans will have seen the show on the first leg.

I think there will be at least one change, but I could be wrong.

I'm hoping that the last stop on the leg in Europe is Amsterdam. Then they bring back a lot of 'refreshments', drop the current setlist and play the folllowing:

Necromancer

By-Tor

2112 (minus Grand Finale)

Camera Eye

Cygnus X1

Hemispheres

La Villa

-intermission-

Broons Bane

Trees

Xanadu

A Farewell To Kings

Main Monkey Business

MalNar

Drums

Fountain Of Lamneth

In The End

--encore--

Earthshine

Bangkok

2112 Grand Final

Within my own mind, it just couldn't get any better than that (other than playing over 3 hours)

I should also try to fit Analog Kid in there somewhere but it just wouldn't fit in the Kimono scheme of themes for my fantasy show.

Archived