EASIEST BASS SONGS

Analogkid1123

QUOTE (LerxstFerret @ Aug 26 2007, 08:31 PM)
Cinderella Man

Thats a very good choice as despite being easy, it sounds pretty flashy when you pla\y it, especially the little funk groove at the end...

The bass parts definitely get considerably more complicated from A Farewell to Kings onward, so if you're looking for an easy place to start, try something from 2112 or earlier.

I enjoyed playing parts of "The Necromancer" a lot when I was first learning the bass.

Some of the suggestions others have mentioned have me wondering... are you really bass players? If you're going to pick any Rush song as an easy bass part, would it really be THAT?

Case in point: "Animate." It may sound like a fairly easy bass part, but Geddy's idiosyncratic finger strumming technique is not easy to master, and it's really the key to the bass part in that song.

Another one... "Tom Sawyer"? Well yeah I suppose if you can't tell the difference between Taurus pedals and a bass guitar, and you're only paying attention to the parts of the song that feature lots of keyboards, then yeah it's easy! But the stuff he's doing on the bass under the guitar solo is NOT. It's not the toughest stuff around, but with the position shifts it requires, it's a recipe for hand cramps.

Might as well throw "Natural Science" in there while you're at it! I'm thinking specifically of the "computerized clinics for superior cynics" part, which was part of a Rush medley a band I was in used to do, and that part just about killed me every time. It's not THAT fast, but it's such a driving sound and the fingerings are just awkward enough that I could barely keep up and I ALWAYS got a cramp. Luckily it was right before we finished up with the final portion of "Bastille Day." Now THERE's an easy one! smile.gif

QUOTE (Room 34 @ Sep 14 2007, 10:27 PM)
The bass parts definitely get considerably more complicated from A Farewell to Kings onward, so if you're looking for an easy place to start, try something from 2112 or earlier.

I enjoyed playing parts of "The Necromancer" a lot when I was first learning the bass.

Some of the suggestions others have mentioned have me wondering... are you really bass players? If you're going to pick any Rush song as an easy bass part, would it really be THAT?

Case in point: "Animate." It may sound like a fairly easy bass part, but Geddy's idiosyncratic finger strumming technique is not easy to master, and it's really the key to the bass part in that song.

Another one... "Tom Sawyer"? Well yeah I suppose if you can't tell the difference between Taurus pedals and a bass guitar, and you're only paying attention to the parts of the song that feature lots of keyboards, then yeah it's easy! But the stuff he's doing on the bass under the guitar solo is NOT. It's not the toughest stuff around, but with the position shifts it requires, it's a recipe for hand cramps.

Might as well throw "Natural Science" in there while you're at it! I'm thinking specifically of the "computerized clinics for superior cynics" part, which was part of a Rush medley a band I was in used to do, and that part just about killed me every time. It's not THAT fast, but it's such a driving sound and the fingerings are just awkward enough that I could barely keep up and I ALWAYS got a cramp. Luckily it was right before we finished up with the final portion of "Bastille Day." Now THERE's an easy one! smile.gif

I'm sorry but i have to respectfully disagree with the bass on TS being very difficult,under the solo it's simply the keyboard riff with two bars of shift change. and yes for a beginner it could take awhile to get down but with practice shouldn't be a big deal and warming up and stretching the hands should take care of any cramping problems. I don't mean to come off like i'm some kind of god, or even begin to compair myself to such greatness (geddy is a phenominal player on all his instruments) but i don't find that song as challenging as say "Limelight" or "even "Fly By Night".

Edited by skrewflanders

QUOTE (LerxstFerret @ Aug 26 2007, 02:31 PM)
The Weapon

rofl3.gif That's funny. So easy cause it's mostly synth. rofl3.gif

Also if your friend understands any music theory or scales Subdivisions isn't too tough.

Edited by hunter

Analogkid, looks like you got a bunch of mixed up replies, eh? A lot of those suggestions aren't easy at all (Animate, MalNar, The Weapon, Cygnus, Cinderella Man). Several things make Rush bass lines hard: complex arrangements, odd time signatures, syncopations and accents, difficult rhythm "punches", finger gymnastics, amazing fills, diverse playstyles, and getting the groove right. Not to mention just a lot of notes to memorize per song.

For now stick to straightforward stuff. K.I.S.S., as far as you can where the master is concerned. GeddyFinal.gif

Of course if you have a strong drummer and guitarist, it can hide some okay bass-playing and everyone still sounds amazing. But for the other way around, it takes a really strong bass player to carry along a mediocre guitarist and drummer while making the whole group sound solid. In other words, the bass can be the weakest link and still pass.

I'm assuming your friend at least has a bit of skill if he's tackling Rush. Here are the 20+ easiest songs from different albums, with some medium difficulty ones thrown in, starting with S&A and going backwards. Provided he's a halfway decent bassist and you can handle Alex's many modes (and have some synths handy), I'd suggest the audience-friendly songs in red first, for long-lasting goodness and mixing into a cover set if that's what you're doing together. cool.gif

Snakes and Arrows

The Larger Bowl (can you say "3-chord song"?)

Spindrift (same slow riffs most of the song)

Counterparts

Cut to the Chase (grooves hard, but possible)

Cold Fire (16th feel at 2:00, 3:00 hardest part)

Roll the Bones

Bravado

Dreamline (bunch of straight 8ths, main thing is getting the accents right)

Ghost of a Chance (only two different parts really)

Presto

Scars (one main riff the whole song, probably a sample loop)

The Pass (good song for everyone, bass, guitar, vocals, drums)

Hold Your Fire ----------- all fairly hard, tricky lines, developed and mature phrasing needed

Power Windows --------- all difficult. period.

Grace Under Pressure -- nothing here, not a beginner's album

Signals

New World Man (reggae verse parts tricky, but can fake it)

Countdown (fairly easy if you play the synth lines on the bass)

Moving Pictures

Limelight (not too bad once you get main riff down)

Witch Hunt (grooving verses tricky, but manageable, a bit complex)

Tom Sawyer (one hard riff, the rest moderately easy, straightforward)

Permanent Waves

Different Strings (second easiest bass song ever)

Hemispheres ---- very good basswork, unfortunately

A Farewell to Kings

Madrigal (tasty tenor bass loving)

2112 (surprisingly quite a few here)

Tears

The Twilight Zone

several parts of 2112 (esp the slower movements)

Something for Nothing (medium difficulty)

Caress of Steel

Lakeside Park

The Fountain of Lamneth (good easy epic song for bass)

The Necromancer (another good epic, mostly guitar work)

Fly By Night

In the End (easy!)

Fly by Night (not too bad really, once you learn main riffs and gloss over fills)

2.gif

QUOTE (hunter @ Sep 28 2007, 09:06 PM)
The Weapon

Also if your friend understands any music theory or scales Subdivisions isn't too tough.

Of course, where there actually is bass, it's not easy at all.... listen at 0:58 on, and especially that goody at 1:11.... and again at 2:23, and esp. the run at 2:38 tongue.gif

But yeah, better to play the whole song bassless and do the synth thing if that's your thing.

SUBDIVISIONS is a blast to play if you're a keyboard/bassist!! Wall of 7/8 synth up front, grooving pre-chorus bass part, synth solo. The fun part is looking cool switching back and forth between bass and keys onstage while jamming with an awesome drummer who can handle the song.

Good times. It's one of the few Rush songs in my vocal range. Too bad I don't sing too good though. That didn't stop me from trying to be Geddy when I could 1022.gif

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Oct 2 2007, 06:44 PM)
Snakes and Arrows
The Larger Bowl (can you say "3-chord song"?)
Spindrift (same slow riffs most of the song)

Counterparts
Cut to the Chase (grooves hard, but possible)
Cold Fire (16th feel at 2:00, 3:00 hardest part)

Roll the Bones
Bravado
Dreamline (bunch of straight 8ths, main thing is getting the accents right)
Ghost of a Chance (only two different parts really)

Presto
Scars (one main riff the whole song, probably a sample loop)
The Pass (good song for everyone, bass, guitar, vocals, drums)

Hold Your Fire ----------- all fairly hard, tricky lines, developed and mature phrasing needed

Power Windows --------- all difficult. period.

Grace Under Pressure -- nothing here, not a beginner's album

Signals
New World Man (reggae verse parts tricky, but can fake it)
Countdown (fairly easy if you play the synth lines on the bass)

Moving Pictures
Limelight (not too bad once you get main riff down)
Witch Hunt (grooving verses tricky, but manageable, a bit complex)
Tom Sawyer (one hard riff, the rest moderately easy, straightforward)

Permanent Waves
Different Strings (second easiest bass song ever)

Hemispheres ---- very good basswork, unfortunately

A Farewell to Kings
Madrigal (tasty tenor bass loving)

2112 (surprisingly quite a few here)
Tears
The Twilight Zone
several parts of 2112 (esp the slower movements)
Something for Nothing (medium difficulty)

Caress of Steel
Lakeside Park
The Fountain of Lamneth (good easy epic song for bass)
The Necromancer (another good epic, mostly guitar work)

Fly By Night
In the End (easy!)
Fly by Night (not too bad really, once you learn main riffs and gloss over fills)

2.gif

What, no love for the first album??? wink.gif laugh.gif

trink39.gif

rushbass,

Notice I didn't include VT or T4E either wink.gif

Actually, I made a new songlist out of these songs, and inspired by some suggestions in the post, followed them by some lesser heard songs by me, in alphabetical order for variety.

Animate

Available Light

Between the Wheels

Chemistry

Cinderella Man

Cygnus X-1

Double Agent

Entre Nous

Everyday Glory

Jacob's Ladder

Kid Gloves

Losing It

Marathon

Nobody's Hero

Rivendell

Roll the Bones

Presto

Stick It Out

Subdivisions

Territories

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Oct 2 2007, 06:58 PM)
QUOTE (hunter @ Sep 28 2007, 09:06 PM)
The Weapon

Of course, where there actually is bass, it's not easy at all.... listen at 0:58 on, and especially that goody at 1:11.... and again at 2:23, and esp. the run at 2:38 tongue.gif

But yeah, better to play the whole song bassless and do the synth thing if that's your thing.

SUBDIVISIONS is a blast to play if you're a keyboard/bassist!! Wall of 7/8 synth up front, grooving pre-chorus bass part, synth solo. The fun part is looking cool switching back and forth between bass and keys onstage while jamming with an awesome drummer who can handle the song.

Good times. It's one of the few Rush songs in my vocal range. Too bad I don't sing too good though. That didn't stop me from trying to be Geddy when I could 1022.gif

Totally true.There are some gems in there. That why Geddy's so good. And I feel exactly the same way about Subdivisions. Fun to throw on a bass, pound the keys, and belt out a tune, or in my case belt out a tune out of tune. smile.gif

Does the album Rush not exist?

In the Mood

Working Man

All the early stuff is easy but alot of fun.

Bastille Day

A Passage to Bangkok

Vapor trails (song)

is fairly easy