Epilepsy, seizures...

Drumnut

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (anagramking @ May 3 2008, 01:33 PM)
I found this article on news.google.com today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7378178.stm

Not sure how relevant it is to your situation, but it looked interesting.

Thanks for the link AGK, there's a bunch of info and great links there to research. I've heard of the "ketogenic" diet, but my Dr tells me it's hard to follow, and with my metabolism and diet, I don't eat enough 'fatty' foods that he thinks it's more effective for children. He told me to try it if I wanted to, it can't hurt as long as I make sure I eat enough.

QUOTE (Angua @ May 6 2008, 04:16 PM)
had a seizure - I was expecting it as we had a dr's appointment and this always is stressful and it triggers. And it's warm today

sad.gif I'm sorry to hear you had a seizure. I know what seeing the Dr is like, my Dr doesn't give me a hard time when I've had one because he knows I'm doing everything I'm supposed to be. I use a date book to write down my appointments, what and when I eat, and the times I'm supposed to take my meds. It's more for me than my Dr, but he thinks it's a good idea. I'm sure you know how bad memory is with Epilepsy, so I use it to keep me straight. I can usually look back in my book when I have a seizure, and see when I didn't sleep enough, eat at regular intervals during the day, or forgot to take my meds. Eating right seems to be the hardest part for me to follow. I eat when I'm supposed to, but I'm a light eater and probably don't eat enough. I love being warm, it's humidity I can't stand. I think, if you're not comfortable with your Dr, you should find another one, or talk to a family member or friend that has witnessed a seizure and have them go with you to your Dr's appointments. It can't hurt, anything that works.

It's just the fact that she gets stressed at the whole idea of seeing any doctor smile.gif The appointment was a really good one - not epilepsy - and they don''t want to see her again for a year! When it starts getting warm we get more seizures too (today it's 23 c) so I'm watching like a hawk for any signs.

I don't mind seeing the Dr as long as I haven't had any seizures, then it's just a quick question and answer, a re-fill on meds, and sometimes a blood test. I don't mind heat at all, it's the humidity I hate. That and being cold, I HATE being cold! I'd rather be hot in a dry climate than cold in a damp climate any day.

Good day today, no seizures. I received a letter from my lawyers office about my disability case. I need to go sign more paperwork for medical record requests, more of the hurry-up and wait process of my settlement.

I want my money, and I need it NOW!

Edited by Drumnut

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ May 15 2008, 12:06 AM)
I just had a seizure about an hour ago while I was in chat.

sad.gif I'm sorry to hear about your seizure, what kind of monitor are you using, I'm using a flat screen, and it doesn't have the flicker like old monitors do, well worth the investment. I find it hard to even look at the older tube type monitors. I can't even be in a room with Fluorescent lights for very long, they make me sick to my stomach after a few minutes. Take care of yourself, I'm keeping an eye on my diet, getting more sleep @ night, and having my drug levels checked more often, just trying to do all the right things right.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ May 15 2008, 12:21 AM)
QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ May 15 2008, 12:06 AM)
I just had a seizure about an hour ago while I was in chat.

sad.gif I'm sorry to hear about your seizure, what kind of monitor are you using, I'm using a flat screen, and it doesn't have the flicker like old monitors do, well worth the investment. I find it hard to even look at the older tube type monitors. I can't even be in a room with Fluorescent lights for very long, they make me sick to my stomach after a few minutes. Take care of yourself, I'm keeping an eye on my diet, getting more sleep @ night, and having my drug levels checked more often, just trying to do all the right things right.

I honestly dont know.

I dont have seizures often though. Maybe 1 every 2 months or so. So Im lucky on there.

None for me today, but it sounds like Ted Kennedy had several today. Even though I don't agree with his political views and will not get into that here, I can sympathize with what he went through and what his family is feeling at this time. Get well soon Senator Kennedy.

OK, this may sound like a really insensitive question, and I don't mean for it to be. . .I'm glad I found this thread, because it's really been quite educational. I had been under the mistaken impression that most cases of epilepsy were easily controllable. . .I now know that it's unfortunately not true.

Anyway, to my question. Obviously, we are all Rush fans to some degree here. Drumnut/ gleamingalloyaircar81, are you able to go to the shows? Or are the lights too much?

Again, I really, really don't want to seem insensitive-

QUOTE (Marathonist @ May 17 2008, 11:21 PM)
OK, this may sound like a really insensitive question, and I don't mean for it to be. . .I'm glad I found this thread, because it's really been quite educational.  I had been under the mistaken impression that most cases of epilepsy were easily controllable. . .I now know that it's unfortunately not true.

Anyway, to my question.  Obviously, we are all Rush fans to some degree here.  Drumnut/ gleamingalloyaircar81, are you able to go to the shows?  Or are the lights too much?

Again, I really, really don't want to seem insensitive-

Thanks for replying, in many cases, it can be controlled with medication, but for many, it's hard to find a med that controls them at a tolerable dosage. All E meds have their own side effects and it's hard to find the right dosage to maintain the proper blood levels based on the severity of the seizures. In my case, I've tried many different meds at various dosages and can tolerate some with few side effects. Lamictal is what I'm on right now, and I'm doing well with it and getting used to the side effects, the worst being drowsiness. I'm not a heavy sleeper anyway, so my evening dose helps me sleep @ night. Meds, diet, and exercise are part of taking care of myself, and other meds I've taken gave me a sour stomach and I wasn't eating right. Lamictal has actually helped my appetite, and sometimes I can pig-out and actually enjoy it without an upset stomach. One day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time. Flashing stage light lights don't bother me, but fluorescent lights look like they have a liquid in them and a flicker that's worse than direct sunlight. I love hot direct sunlight because being cold is a side effect of having Epilesy and where I live right now has looong cold winters. The swirl type fluorescent light don't bother me but the tube type without a diffuzer on them do.

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to Sen. Kennedy, this hits home for me if it was in fact a seizure. I'm counting my blessings, as I didn't have one today, be well Sen Kennedy.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ May 20 2008, 10:39 PM)
I'm sorry to hear about what happened to Sen. Kennedy, this hits home for me if it was in fact a seizure. I'm counting my blessings, as I didn't have one today, be well Sen Kennedy.

Sadly, he has a malignant brain tumor. No report yet on the long-term prognosis; they've yet to determine the specific type of cancer.

QUOTE (missionman @ May 21 2008, 10:41 PM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ May 21 2008, 08:52 PM)
Good today, but it's still too damn cold for me, but then again, I'm always cold.

But you have a warm heart. That's all that counts smile.gif

Thanks MM! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Drumnut @ May 21 2008, 09:52 PM)
Good today, but it's still too damn cold for me, but then again, I'm always cold.

I'm no doctor (don't even play one on TV, either), but I wonder if it's related to an anemia related to epileptic medication:

http://professionals.epilepsy.com/page/hem...astic_anem.html

I have heard that a symptom of anemia is feeling cold all the time.

QUOTE (anagramking @ May 21 2008, 10:59 PM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ May 21 2008, 09:52 PM)

I'm no doctor (don't even play one on TV, either), but I wonder if it's related to an anemia related to epileptic medication:

http://professionals.epilepsy.com/page/hem...astic_anem.html

I have heard that a symptom of anemia is feeling cold all the time.

That and living in dreary Erie, PA! laugh.gif I'm always cold even if it's 70+ degrees outside. What I hate is the humidity @ that temperature living in the NW. Give me 110 degrees out in the bright, dry, desert sun all day, I love it! I take Lamictal (Lamotrigine)