trip to hollywood

daveyt

i picked up my lady-friend at LAX and dropped her off at the QUEEN MARY to get ready for the show and it was already 2:30 and we wanted to leave by 3:30! the QUEEN is basically a hotel that caters to all kinds of **** now. i thought that was a cool location for her to camp out so yeah.

http://www.w6ze.org/QueenMary_Convention/WOUFF_HONG-QUEEN_MARY1999-02a.JPG

and so i went back to my apartment, pounded 2 beers and got myself ready for a drive to pick her up and go. so i picked her up and we immediately bypassed all the traffic with some nifty manuvering on my part. i just love it when you think ur going the right way and then you are going the right way.

it was an interesting and kick-back drive because it's on ALAMEDA DR which basically is the RR route and truck route strait from the port of los angeles and leads north staight into the heart of los angeles. a great little secret for those who want to avoid the nightmare getting out of LB at that hour.

alameda = smart driving!

http://www.pubs.asce.org/ceonline/art/art02/0902feat1a.jpg

so LIZ is putting on her makeup and we're listening to a boot from the first tour and just CRUSING in the SJ with the sun setting and it's like we are the only ones on the road. sweeeeeeeeeeeeet. now liz is a little high maintenance because she's like BLAH BLAH BLAH bless her heart and she doesn't listen to N E ! else so pretty soon she gets the daveyt treatment and next thing you know she's saying "hey i wasn't finished...!" tongue.gif

so we go to my job where my 18 year old bass player is waiting for us. he's JACO PASTORIUS NUT and he's all excited to go. i work not even a block off of alameda so we HANDLED the situation yes.gif and we were off!

JUAN showed me his stash of 7-up and we were officially pimping this drive. he's from guadalajara and he's an amazing bass player.

http://www.vaultkicks.org/vault_2liter.jpg

then we pass THE SCORE, jump on the 10 freeway, handle, get off, drive up....next thing you know we are at the BOWL looking for parking and avoiding the hot frickin sun!

got a compliment on the SJ and then we proceeded to take the cooler and carry it to picnic area #3 which was a hike up the hill but we got there and it was absolutely gorgeous! right in front of the BOWL on a towering hill overlooking the whole scene: backstage truck area, etc.

http://a187.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/78/l_00b2da7e4fdb2469744edb36a7ef7f3a.jpg

i met DREW who hosted the BBQ and we all proceeded to introduce, eat, and eat. mmmmmmmmmmm. then this dude goes into my beer cooler and starts digging around! I was like "hey i don't even know your name and ur all digging through my ****! tongue.gif haha so he asks me if i mind and i say YES tongue.gif and offer to share some of my finest ales with him. he humbly accepts cheer.gif

http://www.kaseysbbq.com/Slicing%20Brisket.jpg

we head straight for the german EKG (?) which packs a punch and he sits down for this beer and he's loving it. met RICK2001 (?) and that was great. it was nice to also be "recognized" tongue.gif in the midst was a really cool guy that everyone should get to know, PERICLES from the rush hub. what a great guy and i was happy to talk and hang with him. hailing from canada, i'm not sure if he made the trip down or what.

LIZ and JUAN grab a seat and celebrate the moment however, LIZ was stressing a little over trying to cancel her reserved hotel room for another.

then up from the depths i see MIDWAY HAWKER coming cheer.gif and we greet each other from the last time we saw each other last tour. great guy and i was really happy to see him again and start BEER ROUND ONE, catching up on the latest topics.

met a couple other folks here and there and then i begin ROUND TWO of the beer tastings with some interesting stuff:

STONE 07/07/07 which has some of the most interesting flavors you will find this year. OMG

Mitch Steele

Head Brewer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPEARANCE:

Deep golden with a touch of haze. Foam is white, creamy and thick.

AROMA:

Grapefruit/citrus, ginger, tropical fruit esters, with a touch of spice. Tropical fruit salad!

FLAVOR:

Citrus and ginger up front, finishing with a touch of clove and more intense cardamom spice

PALATE:

Med body, very effervescent, crisp, dry, and refreshing with a touch of bitterness and alcohol warmth.

OVERALL:

Quite delicious now, and we fully expect the flavors to blend more over time.

then we had the STONE LIMITED EDITION IMPERIAL STOUT which is bomb yes.gif

http://www.bov.ch/labels/USA/usa-stone-imperial-russian-stout.jpg

had a nice BUBBLY german with a purple label, the ones that ALPHSEEKER likes biggrin.gif and then we met RUSHFAN15 (sp?) and his partner for the evening. BUBBLY BUBBLY! now we're having fun...establishing a little TRF click. then we had a sweeeeeeeeeeet HOP BEER...

it was this company but a different beer. the beer we had was their 15: 15 different kinds of hops and man was it rich and "dangerous" -was the way i put it- cause MIDWAY HAWKER was gushing over it so i thought i'd warn his ass b4 he got too happy about his present condition.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/full_size/14434.jpg

the view was awesome: like 50 yards from the bowl with great scenery. kick-back. great job on the location and the BBQ DREW!

just behind the bowl in the hills was the picnic area.

http://static.flickr.com/83/240618266_fe0f6905c7.jpg

then i start meeting other people and i end up having three people double-fisting it so whateverz. then all of a sudden CYGNUS X-1 BK2 comes up from the depths with his FEDEX box and now it's official: REUNION BABY!

after settling in i was able to find CYG a soda. b4 that i was like :what do you need?" and he was like "soda" but i thought that was his code for BEER so i brought him a cold one and figured out that he really meant SODA...so i hunted one down for him and hoped that it was to his taste. and it was!!! tongue.gif

time check! 6:50pm. time for some other activities. i invite CYG over & MH over with PERICLES and we start smoking 'cigars'. riiiiiiight. time check?! oh shit are out of here in 10 minutes people!!!!!!! no more!

tbc...

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Jul 24 2007, 12:24 PM)
Come on Davey....we all want to know if you scored with the chick confused13.gif

laugh.gif Knowing her, I am going to say "no".

It was good to see everybody in Hollywood. The show rocked! davey kept us all in line and on time, despite stumbling into the venue.

A good time was had by all!

Awesome! Thanks for posting.

That was like a little field trip 1022.gif

Awesome post Drew! It was really great meeting you and everyone else. Thanks a bunch for contributing to making my first Rush concert a magical experience.

Pics will follow once I've recovered (just got back from the airport).

Cheers.

PS- you're the king of beers eh ya hoser!

OK so we leave the picnic area and i stash my beers into an electrical box and hide the cooler. it was nice to be able to hang out for once. i hate rushing to the show! i also hate not having my watch. they help you calm down you know!

so MIDWAY HAWKER noticed that i was "much more reserved" tonight but we know how that goes. so basically, i sampled a variety of brews and topped it off with a conversation with a girl called MARY. in fact a few of us were talking to her. CYG got a kick out of her apprearance tongue.gif

cool.gif <--- me with the shades now

so we head down the steep-as-hell walkway to parking lot A and head to the concourse. i almost ate it and almost took down a whole f***ing tent cause that's when it all kicked in.

and i'm trying to balance this pint of beer down my pants. JUAN is nervous about his camera and thinks he can just walk in with it. i told him if i'm jamming it, he's jamming it! i also let the boys know that if i got busted i'd see them in there.

and i got in! and we walked in!

http://ia33.org/images/Hollywood_Bowl_new_shell.JPG

we got to alex lifeson's side and chilled at our seated box area. it was kick-back!

http://www.jamiesan.com/images/blog/hollywood-bowl-view.jpg

and we get situated and i pull my beer out and station it below. then the rest of the crew comes! i introduce and we get a really nice vibe going: my buddy APPIE and his dutch FATHER who has seen rush many times in holland, APPIE's wife JEN, and a fan i sold a ticket to, ROBIN.

i saw howard Ungerleider (lighting director) and have said hello a few times in the past (once at a very bad/busy time for him in europe) but we made amends pretty much towards the end of that tour.

so i went down as he was shaking people's hands and called out his name as i approached him. i took him by suprise and wished him a good show, etc. & i could see that he was recognizing me as i spoke. i wonder what went through his head but he treats me with a lot of respect, maybe because i have alot of respect for him?

7:40 I was like ohmy.gif

and then the show started! i'm not a big fan of the videos and i find myself doing this a few times at a rush concert: eh.gif but then they kicked in and played their first song.

then their second song.

then their third song!!!!!

i was getting mad because i would watch this and that and then sort of trip-out and then i'd have to shake it off and refocus. i could have missed some good moments. thank god for the big screens because you could see stuff there and then just watch them. i think it was just a liiiiiiiiittle too far back for me to really focus on wtf was really going on on stage but i am by no means complaining. really good seats.

i distinctly remember how nice alex was sounding and was pleased not having to wonder about the sound. CYG seconded that fact yes.gif

i thought SECRET TOUCH was done very well and rush really dug in at that point. the lights were cool because they had these blue lights that just crept in and then made a statement as the show caried on throughout the first half.

i was tempted to just walk down to the garden seats and see what was up. the frickin pool seats were out of control! i figured it would be lame up there but no way. it was hot!

oh yeah, saw BOBBI BEYONDER walk in to her awesome seats and tried to get her attention but no-can-do. you were looking around BOBBI i saw you!

i think some people were about to cool10.gif again during MONKEY (?) and it was like "here we go" and i remember seeing someone's face like "yes, it is time yes.gif

OMG the people next to us were so loud and wasted! they were falling out of their box et al. they were sort of a distraction but whateverz. MH was chatting it up good and it was funny to watch everyone air-RUSH in our boxes. i was very pleased to see my buddy APPIE having a really good time at his first rush conmcert since PeW. people were happy. so was i yes.gif

it was a good time. during THE LARGER BOWL someone decided to start the cool10.gif and then when they tried to do it again, this security babe was like all of them! she was all up in their spaces! it was invasive but like whateverz. we handled. during the handling ROBIN buts out with this cute little joint and i was like "awwww!" but man that little f*cker made like wacko.gif tongue.gif cool.gif and she was like "yeah it's not bad, huh?"

oh yeah, CYG and MH have heard "HANDLES!" in it's proper context. also, i have a saying that goes like this: "ooohhhhhhhhhhhhh!" like, "BURN!" i'm sure they heard plenty of that last night biggrin.gif

during halftime MH and CYG bolt one after the other and it took forever for CYG to get back! forever! good thing he didn't come back with cups because that would have got us feeling maybe a liiiiiiiiitle too nice trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif when i get to a certain threshold, i get in trouble! that imperial stout would sit there all night and maybe it was a good thing that it did cat.gif

oh yeah, LIZ, whom i gave a ride and will be attending IRVINE with, would show up now and then so scream etc. so it was good to see her because we didn't want her to feel alienated. she bought a seperate ticket the night b4. she's so cool because even though she's like blah blah blah, she has a great smile and she really loves rush alot.

so yeah the new music was great and we're all rocking and honestly by the time the encore came on i wanted liz to get there so we could bail but parking was not that bad at all.

RUSH are old! even more old than ever! honestly, i'm like eh.gif trying to get through some of the songs and trying to watch their old asses up on the screen. whateverz! i can see why neil wants to get the f**k out of there.

geddy's FREEWILL part, however, from what i remember, was very very good [initially] yes.gif i was really impressed.

neil was wierd during NATURAL SCIENCE because his fills were really different so i was stuck on seeing wth he was up to. some of his improv is interesting, some a little disapointing. the drums sounded great.

you never know how the show is going to be so that's why you have to see them a few times. i'm excited to see them again as many don't have that luxury.

alex' es-335 sounded amazing. what a great sounding guitar. don't knw if i will see CYG ever again so i will say this: it was really great to hang out with you and i was really looking foward to it. it was nice to see your expressions on your face as we spoke, too. i'm glad you were glad to have me there biggrin.gif so thanks for coming down, mr.

MIDWAY HAWKER is another great one because he just is. many people are afraid of me because of the daveyt myth of getting thown out of shows, going on multiple missions to who the f**k knows where, etc. so it was great to actually kick back.

getting to know alot of other people and it just feels good to have a drama-free rush tour.

time to deal with ORANGE COUNTY tomorrow. the cops are real assholes down there!!!!!! we'll give them the los angeles treatment!

thanks for reading peoples yes.gif

d

A few pics of the pre-show picnic and of the concert itself:

Man, that dude in the MFH shirt looks just hosed!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/prcls77/Rush%20-%202007-07-23/2007-07-23-HollywoodCA-Pericles3.jpg

Me and my buddy. We flew to LA all the way from Edmonton, Canada for this show:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/prcls77/Rush%20-%202007-07-23/2007-07-23-HollywoodCA-Pericles4.jpg

Armor & Sword:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/prcls77/Rush%20-%202007-07-23/2007-07-23-HollywoodCA-Pericles21.jpg

UFOs!!!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/prcls77/Rush%20-%202007-07-23/2007-07-23-HollywoodCA-Pericles25.jpg

Hey Daveyt.

Great posts. You tell a great tale.

What time do you think you will be reaching the Irvine parking lot???

I am hoping to get down there at least a little while before show time.

-Jkt

Good story as always Davey. Is that Liz girl from Marin up near SF? Wonmdering if it is the same girl that wandered from show to show on R30.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Jul 24 2007, 12:24 PM)
Come on Davey....we all want to know if you scored with the chick confused13.gif

no.gif although i was wondering about her eh.gif because she's a native californian so when she was doing her hair in the car i spied her to see if she had hairy armpits.

ohmy.gif

Archived