'spinal Tap' Discussion Thread, It Goes To 11!

Jack Aubrey

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David: I do not, for one, think that the problem was that the band was down. I think that the problem *may* have been, that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being *crushed* by a *dwarf*. Alright? That tended to understate the hugeness of the object.

Ian: I really think you're just making much too big a thing out of it.

Derek: Making a big thing out of it would have been a good idea.

My own personal Spinal Tap experience was seeing Blue Oyster Cult in 1982. Don't get me wrong, I love these guys but when they brought out the big Godzilla..... "thing", it seemed a bit "Tappish". laugh.gif

I think Spinal Tap made a lot of old rockers uncomfortable, and made them look silly, not just Joe Perry.

Can anyone think of any band or performer which Spinal Tap's satire may be applied to? (And if you say 2.gif you should be immediately banned and burned at the stake.) biggrin.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 1 2004, 12:28 AM)
David: I do not, for one, think that the problem was that the band was down. I think that the problem *may* have been, that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being *crushed* by a *dwarf*. Alright? That tended to understate the hugeness of the object.

Ian: I really think you're just making much too big a thing out of it.

Derek: Making a big thing out of it would have been a good idea.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif Yes GG! another all time classic!

HELLO CLEVELAND!!!!!!!!!

My DVD is the two disc special released a few weeks ago. The notes are in a little four page booklet (OK, folded over piece of glossy paper)on the inside of the cover.

There a profile on the three members, and a chronology of all the drummers.

Poor Viv Savage is ignored though

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Sep 1 2004, 01:20 PM)
HELLO CLEVELAND!!!!!!!!!

My DVD is the two disc special released a few weeks ago. The notes are in a little four page booklet (OK, folded over piece of glossy paper)on the inside of the cover.

There a profile on the three members, and a chronology of all the drummers.

Poor Viv Savage is ignored though

Where have I been? I didn't even know about that! Best Buy here I come! 1022.gif

Sounds like I need to tap back into Tap!

Not sure if this was pointed out yet (apologies if it was) but on the DVD, the Chapter entitled "It's one louder now, isn't it?" is Chapter 11.

Oh, they are just so clever!! (or stupid.. There's a fine line, you know...)

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Sep 5 2004, 02:29 PM)
Not sure if this was pointed out yet (apologies if it was) but on the DVD, the Chapter entitled "It's one louder now, isn't it?" is Chapter 11.

Nice pickup, Earthshine! I never noticed that, and for that I hang my head in shame! (I feel as if I just crushed an 11" Stonehenge monument!) I have both the MGM and Criterion DVDs, and it's the same on both versions.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 5 2004, 01:45 PM)

Nice pickup, Earthshine! I never noticed that, and for that I hang my head in shame! (I feel as if I just crushed an 11" Stonehenge monument!) I have both the MGM and Criterion DVDs, and it's the same on both versions.

I would expect more, 1....I really would.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 5 2004, 03:16 PM)

tongue.gif

I apologize humbly, and deeply...

Now if you'll excuse me I have a puppet show (with Tap opening!) to attend!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 5 2004, 02:27 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 5 2004, 03:16 PM)

tongue.gif

I apologize humbly, and deeply...

Now if you'll excuse me I have a puppet show (with Tap opening!) to attend!

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

hell yea this flick is a must have, i recently got mine off ebay for like $10

it has 1 hour an 45 min of special features like..a new interview with meathead lol and 4 music vids,6 tv commercials,heavy metal memories an a bunch more...pluse over a hour of never seen b4 footage..( I sound like a commercial now LOL)

now I feel like watchin it gain..last time was bout a month ago when i first got it with indica..we had a blast watchin it..yeppers a must have to any collection

Oh, they are just so clever!! (or stupid.. There's a fine line, you know...)

Very nice Earthshine! Good Job!

Spinal Tap is on my "DVD's To Get List" tomorrow....Which version is the best possible version to buy? Come on Tapheads help me out!!! Haven't seen this movie in years! cool.gif

Wasn't the whole "Stonehenge" part based on real life problems Black Sabbath was having (When Ian Gillan sang for them) in the early 80's? I vaguely recalled Sabbath had a Stonehenge stage theme but had problems getting it set up in small arenas during the tour....

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 11 2005, 01:21 PM)
Spinal Tap is on my "DVD's To Get List" tomorrow....Which version is the best possible version to buy? Come on Tapheads help me out!!! Haven't seen this movie in years! cool.gif

See if you can find Shark Sandwich or Smell The Glove.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 11 2005, 01:39 PM)
Thanx 73! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I was joking! Those titles are two of Tap's albums from the movie. They don't exist.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. tongue.gif

Seriously, get the MGM 2-disc special edition and you'll be set.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 11 2005, 01:50 PM)

I was joking! Those titles are two of Tap's albums from the movie. They don't exist.

You farger!! laugh.gif I seriously thought they were like sub titled those for special editions icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 11 2005, 03:04 PM)

You farger!! laugh.gif I seriously thought they were like sub titled those for special editions icon_really_happy_guy.gif

1287.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 11 2005, 05:02 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 11 2005, 03:04 PM)

1287.gif

As a "Tap Head" I second 1-0-0's recommendatin of the MGM 2 disc set. You won't regret it Test. 1287.gif

Interviewer: (pointing at Nigel's new guitar) "What's THIS one...

Nigel: "NO, DON'T...touch it..."

Interviewer: "I wasn't TOUCHING it, I was just pointing..."

Nigel: "Well...don't...POINT, even. This can NOT be played...EVER..."

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Yep..ANOTHER great moment! 1287.gif

-Matt

Has anybody ever noticed that one of the drummers shared his name with one of the Three Stooges?

Joe "Mama" Besser is very similar to Joe Besser, the Stooge after Curly and Shemp. kind of looked similar too.

I had the 2 disc set that had the extra footage and stuff. The extra footage was almost a movie in itself, like the Graceland visitation and whatnot.