'spinal Tap' Discussion Thread, It Goes To 11!

Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 11 2005, 12:21 PM)
Spinal Tap is on my "DVD's To Get List" tomorrow....Which version is the best possible version to buy? Come on Tapheads help me out!!! Haven't seen this movie in years! cool.gif

Wasn't the whole "Stonehenge" part based on real life problems Black Sabbath was having (When Ian Gillan sang for them) in the early 80's? I vaguely recalled Sabbath had a Stonehenge stage theme but had problems getting it set up in small arenas during the tour....

You had a Stonehenge that was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf!

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ May 11 2005, 05:04 PM)
Interviewer: (pointing at Nigel's new guitar) "What's THIS one...
Nigel: "NO, DON'T...touch it..."
Interviewer: "I wasn't TOUCHING it, I was just pointing..."
Nigel: "Well...don't...POINT, even. This can NOT be played...EVER..."

icon_really_happy_guy.gif
Yep..ANOTHER great moment! :pirate:

-Matt

Nigel: you can just hear the sustain...listen to it

Marty: I don't hear anything

Nigel: You would, though, if it were playing.

Guitar Player magazine had a feature in the May issue: "99 Ways to Play Better Now" where guitarists gave their tips or advise on playing better or sounding better. Number 13 comes from Mr. Nigel Tufnel himself and I quote:

"Start playing loud when you're young, and you'll be one step ahead of the game. If you start off playing soft, it will get you into a lot of bad habits. Terrible, terrible habits. Look at these jazz people. Of course they play soft. It's a trick so you can't hear them."

Of course there was a complaint letter in the next issue where some jazz player was offended by what Nigel had said. The writer of the letter was even more concerned about the negative affects of teaching our children to "play loud". GP published the letter without pointing out the joke. I think that took a lot of class.

This one goes to 11.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 14 2006, 12:03 AM)
QUOTE (Midway Hawker @ Nov 14 2006, 02:58 AM)
"how could I leave this.. behind.."

The lyrics to "Big Bottom" are genius. And the fact that all three guys are playing bass guitars on that song is perfect. laugh.gif

My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo..

I'd like to sink her with my pink torpedo..

Big Bottom. Big Bottom.. Talk about mud flaps, my girl's got 'em...

GeddyFinal.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 14 2006, 12:03 AM)
QUOTE (Midway Hawker @ Nov 14 2006, 02:58 AM)
"how could I leave this.. behind.."

The lyrics to "Big Bottom" are genius. And the fact that all three guys are playing bass guitars on that song is perfect. laugh.gif

My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo..

I'd like to sink her with my pink torpedo..

Big Bottom. Big Bottom.. Talk about mud flaps, my girl's got 'em...

GeddyFinal.gif

Had to bump the old thread with a pic of my new shirt. I knew you guys would have an appreciation for my awesome fashion sense. laugh.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Michelle/PICT0040.jpg

z7shysterical.gif

Had to bump the old thread with a pic of my new shirt.  I knew you guys would have an appreciation for my awesome fashion sense. laugh.gif

That is the best t-shirt I have ever seen in my entire life!!!!!

http://www.scene-stealers.com/images/uploads/spinaltap.jpg

Edited by Bastille Night

QUOTE (Bastille Night @ May 18 2007, 08:25 PM)
Had to bump the old thread with a pic of my new shirt.  I knew you guys would have an appreciation for my awesome fashion sense. laugh.gif

That is the best t-shirt I have ever seen in my entire life!!!!!

http://www.scene-stealers.com/images/uploads/spinaltap.jpg

icon_really_happy_guy.gif that's fuggin great! trink38.gif

David St. Hubbins: "Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you."

Nigel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...

Martin: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?

Nigel: Exactly.

Martin: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?

Nigel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?

Martin: I don't know.

Nigel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?

Martin: Put it up to eleven.

Nigel: Elevn. Exactly. One louder.

Martin: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?

[Pause.]

Nigel: These go to eleven.

A side note... did anyone here actually go see them live when they toured in 1992??? It was phenominal! I was 10th row center at the Starwood Amphitheater in Nashville, TN... what a great show!

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 11 2005, 05:21 PM)
Wasn't the whole "Stonehenge" part based on real life problems Black Sabbath was having (When Ian Gillan sang for them) in the early 80's? I vaguely recalled Sabbath had a Stonehenge stage theme but had problems getting it set up in small arenas during the tour....

Yeah !

I saw an interview with Geezer (sabbath documentary) a while back, and he said that they made huge stonehenge models. So big in fact they coudn't get them through doors and had to leave them in some containers at some docks somewhere. HAHA!

Spinal tap just reversed the size issue around

Ha ha

F..k the napkin!

Lt. Hookstratten:

This is our monthly "At Ease" weekend. It gives us a chance to let our hair down, although I see you've got a head start in that department. I shouldn't talk, though, I'm getting a little shaggy myself. I'd better not stand too close to you, people might think I'm part of the band. I'm joking, of course.

Viv savage's face at this point is classic.

Man I love this film. As Americans they are awesome at the British accent, just awesome.

The Guys from spinal tap studied 'Saxon' of all people, to get familiar with rock and roll poses etc. I heard this is where derrick(forgot the actors name) realized to play open e,a etc notes freeing his other hand, enabling him to punch the air at the crowd.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marty DiBergi: "This tasteless cover is a good indication of the lack of musical invention within. The musical growth of this band cannot even be charted. They are treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry."

Nigel Tufnel: That's just nitpicking, isn't it?

Nigel Tufnel: What's wrong with being sexy?

Ian: Sexist, sexist!

David: I do not, for one, think that the problem was that the band was down. I think that the problem may have been that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf. Alright? That tended to understate the hugeness of the object.

Ian: I really think you're just making a much too big thing out of it.

Derek: Making a big thing out of it would've been a good idea.