Faithless: anyone else really into this one

treeduck

This is RUSH's interpretation of Faith. Not ours. And I am a believer in Jesus. I think that music brings forth feelings and conversation. But mainly another kind of understanding. And I GET IT. I just do. They are just saying what they feel about the world as they see it. Long story short, I am tolerant of their opinion. And I'm even impressed.

Edited by Pwrgirl35

QUOTE (Pwrgirl35 @ May 15 2007, 08:44 PM)
This is RUSH's interpretation of Faith. Not ours. Connect or not. I do. And I am a believer in Jesus. I think that music brings forth feelings and conversation. But mainly another kind of understanding. And I GET IT. I just do.

Thanks Pwrgirl35. I guess maybe I'm being too critical and need to

see it from another point of view, even though I still believe in what I believe.

Let's all feel secure in what we believe and learn to tolerate what others believe (God, if only EVERYONE could follow this premise......). Diversity is a GOOD thing. If everyone on this earth believed in the same things, what a boring life this would be. Neil is just expressing his belief. He's not saying that you have to believe in what he is believing or that your belief is wrong. Don't read into beyond what's being said.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 15 2007, 08:55 PM)
Neil is just expressing his belief. He's not saying that you have to believe in what he is believing or that your belief is wrong.

And some people disagree with Neil's beliefs (hence the I don't like the lyrics comments)....no one is saying Neil is right or wrong. For me, what Neil believes in his fine.....I just don't like the lyrical construction of alot of the songs. It seems very all over the place to me. (notice the "to me" part).

Hello Everyone!

I've been very depressed over the last bunch of days; yet/but as usual it is Rush to my rescue...or to at least offer moral support.

What I'm getting at is that I absolutely love Faithless. I am a devout Catholic, and I did have some concerns about what Snakes & Arrows would be about. I'm very quickly learning that it is another Rush masterpiece recording musically, and especially lyrically.

Faithless was the one track that I thought I'd be mostly concerned about. Not anymore. I've been listening to it constantly for about a week now...loving it more and more.

Loving the music, which is perfectly married to Neil's words; which I think is amongst the very best of Geddy's vocals.

Bear with me if you would; I live by a triple A way of life = Accepting, Adapting & Adjusting, to what I experience in my life...in our world. With that, everything/everyone is not gonna agree and/or believe in my beliefs; so I have to accept that...just the way the world is. Not everybody is gonna believe in my religious beliefs, and that has to be ok.

That's what makes Faithless such a beautiful song; accepting individuals for who they are. As Neil said, "...but I still cling to hope; and I believe in love; and that's faith enough for me...". That's the real message for me...hope & love is faith; whether people want to believe in GOD or not.

I look to the guiding star as well as the Spirit in the sky.

My friends, thank you for your time.

Take care.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 15 2007, 09:02 PM)
Neil is just expressing his belief.  He's not saying that you have to believe in what he is believing or that your belief is wrong.

And some people disagree with Neil's beliefs (hence the I don't like the lyrics comments)....no one is saying Neil is right or wrong. For me, what Neil believes in his fine.....I just don't like the lyrical construction of alot of the songs. It seems very all over the place to me. (notice the "to me" part).

I have no beef with your criticism, which is in the minority. Each to his own. Your criticism of lyrical construction is not relevant to the lyrical content, which is what is being discussed here. And it's one thing to disagree and it's another to be insulted by a disagreement. Based on some people's posts, they sound like they are insulted by Neil's lyrics.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 15 2007, 09:24 PM)
Neil is just expressing his belief.  He's not saying that you have to believe in what he is believing or that your belief is wrong.

I have no beef with your criticism, which is in the minority. Each to his own. Your criticism of lyrical construction is not relevant to the lyrical content, which is what is being discussed here. And it's one thing to disagree and it's another to be insulted by a disagreement. Based on some people's posts, they sound like they are insulted by Neil's lyrics.

I agree......some people seem to be insulted by Neil's views. Lots of people interpret lyrics in different ways too, which I think has a lot to do with it.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 15 2007, 09:28 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 15 2007, 09:24 PM)

I agree......some people seem to be insulted by Neil's views. Lots of people interpret lyrics in different ways too, which I think has a lot to do with it.

Good point. It's all about interpretation. Oh well, that's life and that's how it is! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Warren Cromartie @ May 15 2007, 09:30 PM)
I have a lot of respect for a band that isn't afraid to say what it feels in its songs, as long as it's done tastefully and poetically, like it is in Faithless.

Yes, and I will say it again and again.........RUSH HAS BALLS! VERY CLASSY BALLS AT THAT! unsure.gif

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 15 2007, 09:32 PM)
QUOTE (Warren Cromartie @ May 15 2007, 09:30 PM)
I have a lot of respect for a band that isn't afraid to say what it feels in its songs, as long as it's done tastefully and poetically, like it is in Faithless.

Yes, and I will say it again and again.........RUSH HAS BALLS! VERY CLASSY BALLS AT THAT! unsure.gif

You like balls.....so it's all good. laugh.gif

Edited by WCFIELDS

For some reason, I like the word "balls" It's the best word in the world! tongue.gif

Until high school, I had a friend who didn't believe in the medical term "testicle". He thought it was made up and that doctors everywhere referred to our crown jewels as "balls" laugh.gif

Ok, this conversation has definitely gone the other way!!!!!! oops.gif

Edited by Gedneil Alpeart

QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 15 2007, 08:42 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 15 2007, 09:21 PM)
I'm very religious and I love the lyrics.  Why take issue?  Neil's just expressing his belief.  He's not trying to push his belief down your throat.  I really appreciate that he has faith in love and hope and kindness (unsaid).  THat's wonderful.  Who's to say that love and hope and kindness are also God? 

One of my fav tracks off of S and A.  Pure emotion, pure brilliance.

goodpost.gif

yes.gif I'll jump on that band wagon

QUOTE (Saint NIck @ May 15 2007, 09:14 PM)
Hello Everyone!
I've been very depressed over the last bunch of days; yet/but as usual it is Rush to my rescue...or to at least offer moral support.
What I'm getting at is that I absolutely love Faithless. I am a devout Catholic, and I did have some concerns about what Snakes & Arrows would be about. I'm very quickly learning that it is another Rush masterpiece recording musically, and especially lyrically.
Faithless was the one track that I thought I'd be mostly concerned about. Not anymore. I've been listening to it constantly for about a week now...loving it more and more.
Loving the music, which is perfectly married to Neil's words; which I think is amongst the very best of Geddy's vocals.
Bear with me if you would; I live by a triple A way of life = Accepting, Adapting & Adjusting, to what I experience in my life...in our world. With that, everything/everyone is not gonna agree and/or believe in my beliefs; so I have to accept that...just the way the world is. Not everybody is gonna believe in my religious beliefs, and that has to be ok.
That's what makes Faithless such a beautiful song; accepting individuals for who they are. As Neil said, "...but I still cling to hope; and I believe in love; and that's faith enough for me...". That's the real message for me...hope & love is faith; whether people want to believe in GOD or not.
I look to the guiding star as well as the Spirit in the sky.
My friends, thank you for your time.
Take care.

One of the best posts I have read about this album so far and one of the best posts I have read at the Rush Forum!

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif common001.gif common001.gif

The music of Rush has never been about sex, drugs and rock & roll. Their music has always been on a higher level with positive messages. I don't see these current lyrics, or those from the past being anti-God. However, I do see them as being anti-organized religion. There is a difference.

I believe that a lot of the songs with similar lyrics, past and present, are meant as a slam against the intolerance and ignorance that some fundamentalistic religious beliefs foster.

A common theme I see that runs through many of their songs is a strong belief in humanity and that if we work together, instead of being divisive by religious conviction, we can fix a lot of what we ourselves have somehow screwed up.

In other words, don't blame God for everything that goes wrong, and don't just sit on your butts waiting for him to fix things either. If we work together instead of being divided, we have a good shot at accomplishing something.

These are messages of hope and love for humanity. And what was Jesus's most important commandment? So, how can you get more spiritual than that.

When it comes to songs I never take issue with the lyrics or the percieved message in the lyrics. I'm not the kind of listener who might think: "wow i absolutely love this song, the music and the way it's vocalised, but because the lyrics go against my personal beliefs I won't listen to it..." That's just not me...

One thing about Neil's lyrics now, as we know, is they are much more personal since his tragic losses.

Like many S&A songs, it's almost monotonous in its tempo, but its great lyrics put it over the top.

That, and the dynamic meter change in the vocals: "And all those preaching voices..."

QUOTE (Dave @ May 16 2007, 04:00 AM)
The music of Rush has never been about sex, drugs and rock & roll.  Their music has always been on a higher level with positive messages.  I don't see these current lyrics, or those from the past being anti-God.  However, I do see them as being anti-organized religion.  There is a difference. 

Well, how to believe in god or gods without faith?

I believe someone can be spiritual and not have faith or believe in organized religion. It sounds to me that Neil would rather trust his own moral compass that he knows to be good and true, rather than have faith in what someone in religious guise is telling him.

QUOTE (mUKA @ May 16 2007, 11:50 AM)
QUOTE (Dave @ May 16 2007, 04:00 AM)
The music of Rush has never been about sex, drugs and rock & roll.  Their music has always been on a higher level with positive messages.  I don't see these current lyrics, or those from the past being anti-God.  However, I do see them as being anti-organized religion.  There is a difference. 

Well one's chosen religion is often called one's "faith" so to be faithless might mean you believe in God but not belong to any relgious organisation.

Faithless is hands down my favorite on the album. I can totally relate, especially after hearing Geddy say that he is comfortable singing the lyrics because he doesn't subscribe to any organized religion. That is about where I am.