Far Cry: Do you like it?

the masked drummer

I've seen lots of ppl writing that Far Cry is their least favorite song off S&A and I'm just wondering why. To me, it has what interested me in Rush from the first time I heard Spirit of Radio, that high energy excitement Rush often brings me. The "shiver in the spine", so to speak. I love other S&A songs because they are less predictable, but I do love Far Cry...

So my question is, do you like the song and why?

Thanks for your input!

-TMD

It grabbed me from the first listen. I only wish Alex would have expanded on the solo instead of just grinding on one note. A good heavy track to start off the album though.

I think Far Cry is a terrific song, but now that I have this wonderful little problem of having 12 other (new) songs to listen to, I'd have to conced that I'm really digging the more 'multi-dimensional' songs on S&A. Namely, Armor & Sword, Spindrift, and The Main Monkey Business.

Don't get me wrong - Far Cry has some great energy, a terrific driving tempo and some strong lyrics, it just hasnt sucked me in like the rest of the record.

It may be that I wore it out a bit before the album came out, and thats my own fault. But right now, I'm loving the album cover to cover and I don't skip any songs

QUOTE (Sark @ May 8 2007, 01:13 PM)
It grabbed me from the first listen. I only wish Alex would have expanded on the solo instead of just grinding on one note. A good heavy track to start off the album though.

Interesting point. Gotcha. Sounds like Alex "held back" a bit too much there. I'd go along with that too.

Thanks!

QUOTE (Sark @ May 8 2007, 01:13 PM)
It grabbed me from the first listen.

Same here. I really like the progression from intro to chorus, they build it up really well and it has a fantastic hook, IMO. I think it might seem lukewarm to some since it's been out for so long, and folks are off exploring the remainder of the album. I think it's a great track.

I like it.

I agree that is is the kinda song that would have grabbed me in 1981 when I first heard them.

This is what I'd expect from Rush, but I also like what I CAN'T expect from them too!

I love Far Cry. Just classic "new style" Rush with a little nod to their progressive past. I was expecting S&A to be in a similar vein and was surprised and slightly put off that it wasn't. I love S&A now, but it did take a couple of listens.

I like it (I like ALL of the songs on the album), but it's definitely not my favorite. It just seems a little too monotonous (constant bombast) compared to the incredible variety packed into each of the other songs on the album.

Also, I find that in my mind it's hard to really hear this song as being "part" of the album. I had had so much time to absorb it on its own as a single before I heard the rest of the album, that it seems like it's something separate, and then it feels tacked onto the album, even though it really DOES "belong" with the rest of the album.

It's good that it's the first track. It would seem even weirder to me somewhere in the middle. (Kind of like "Misunderstanding" in the middle of Duke. But maybe even more jarring.)

QUOTE (Room 34 @ May 8 2007, 03:45 PM)

Also, I find that in my mind it's hard to really hear this song as being "part" of the album. I had had so much time to absorb it on its own as a single before I heard the rest of the album, that it seems like it's something separate, and then it feels tacked onto the album, even though it really DOES "belong" with the rest of the album.

Word. I almost feel as if Far Cry was released in 2005 at this point as the only new song on a bunch of re-released music. Not taking anything away from it, it simply feels a bit disjointed with the other 12 tracks. And that might be down to repetition on my part.

QUOTE (RobK71 @ May 8 2007, 07:39 PM)
I love Far Cry. Just classic "new style" Rush with a little nod to their progressive past.

thats what i thought too.

its a great song!

It's the most accessible song on the album and was a good choice to be released as a single. As far as "single" type songs go it is the best since Dreamline. I like it a lot because it is the most Rush-like song on the album. My favorite is Workin Them Angels so far.

Oh yes, I definitely do. Liked it way back during the early preview and still do. Even more so, perhaps...because it's one of the top 2 or 3 high energy songs on the record.

I'm not sure where I'd "rank" it amongst the 13....probably the top 1/3...at worst 1/2.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 8 2007, 05:05 PM)
It's the most accessible song on the album and was a good choice to be released as a single. As far as "single" type songs go it is the best since Dreamline. I like it a lot because it is the most Rush-like song on the album. My favorite is Workin Them Angels so far.

No kidding? I think I like that one best right now myself. as far as ones with vocals.

Thanks kindly for your comments everyone!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

It's in my top 3 on S&A. I liked it as soon as I heard it, still do. I never skip it, never get tired of hearing it. It's got an awesome beat and you know what? It's great to power walk to! In fact, the whole album is! Man, does this album ever rock?

Archived