"SPOILER - Expect some haters on May 1

Gedneil Alpeart

I'm on my second listen, and I like it, alot. The acoustic guitar work is excellent, and the album has a contrast. The first few songs suck you in, and then it explodes when the second half starts. I think it's great that we've finally got a very complex Rush album since Hemispheres/Permanent Waves.

So far, i'm very impressed.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've figured out what my problem with the album is.

It's NOT catchy. Except for "Far Cry" and the instrumentals, the songs all lack hooks. Many don't even have traditional choruses, and the ones that do have a chorus don't have a catchy, sing-along chorus. I don't see myself "singing along" with this album.

This just blows my mind. I don't have any problems with different opinions and I'm sorry it doesn't hit you right but that quote sounds like sarcasm it's so upside down. This album has the best collection of melodic catchy choruses they've ever done. Even though I like Vapor Trails, to me it's the least catchy record they've ever done.

In fact, I anticipated that most of the criticism would be along the lines of "they all sound like a bunch of sing-along songs". I would honestly be less surprised if I heard you say "I don't get Dream Theater, it just sounds like their guitarist is slowly strumming in 4/4 time the whole record". It sounds that backwards to me.

I wish everyone could feel what I'm feeling with this record and it's not just because it's new. As I said, I really like Vapor Trails but I'm still processing it and warming up to it in places (although the sound quality has a lot to do with that).

I'm not someone who only loves 70s Rush or 80s Rush or whatever specific period. I'm a fan of all of it depending on my mood and I seriously believe this is the best work they've ever done but I'm not going to spend time trying to convince anyone else. Music is strictly a personal thing to me.

I just feel bad that there are some Rush fans that aren't enjoying this moment but I know if we had this forum available during their entire career we'd be having this discussion for every release.

Yeah, it's shocking that some find the choruses not catchy on this album. These are probably the most accessible camp fire sing-along choruses they've ever put on an album--barring the lyrics of course! Maybe that's the problem? Some folks feel uncomfortable singing these words?

I love VT too, btw...

QUOTE (JustMe74 @ Apr 27 2007, 12:28 AM)
QUOTE (JPRushHed @ Apr 23 2007, 11:00 AM)
I have to disagree with you guys.  I think Vapor Trails is the most loved Rush album in a long time.

SnA is very good but Vapor Trails is a masterpiece.

Interesting.

I think Test for Echo and Vapor Trails are the two weakest albums Rush has ever done. I liked both when they first came out, but now I can't listen to either one.

S&A is a winner though.

yes.gif

i definately think T4E and VT are two of their weakest efforts, especially VT.

Snakes & Arrows has me really excited about RUSH all over again. Songwriting is one of the specific areas where i think this album is REALLY strong, but thats just my opinion.

QUOTE (redlinedrummer @ Apr 27 2007, 11:16 AM)
Dreamtheater has ripped off Rush for years now, not they other way around......I have played and taught Drums for 20 years and Mike Portnoy has ripped of Neil Peart so many time it should be Criminal....Neils Drum solo just kills Portnoys weak double Bass mess he play in concert(Weak) There is more to the word complex then Odd-times,Long songs and solos.......... Rush Snakes and arrows is a deep,deep album. Very complex for those who know what there talking about..........

True....But Bozzio will take em both out to the Woodshed wink.gif

QUOTE (Barnacle @ Apr 27 2007, 09:18 AM)
Dreamtheater has ripped off Rush for years now, not they other way around......I have played and taught Drums for 20 years  and Mike Portnoy has ripped of Neil Peart so many time it should be Criminal....Neils Drum solo just kills Portnoys weak double Bass mess he play in concert(Weak) There is more to the word complex then Odd-times,Long songs and solos.......... Rush Snakes and arrows is a deep,deep album. Very complex for those who know what there talking about..........

It's not true. DT has not ripped off Rush. Mike Portnoy sited Neil as an influence when he was young and starting out - as a drummer he looked up to Neil. What drummer didn't/doesn't? Get over it. Sure, they have paid homage to them in some of their shows. That's where it ends.

TMMB does sound suspiciously like DT. Is Rush ripping them off?? ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Tammeh @ Apr 27 2007, 01:14 PM)
QUOTE (Barnacle @ Apr 27 2007, 09:18 AM)
Dreamtheater has ripped off Rush for years now, not they other way around......I have played and taught Drums for 20 years  and Mike Portnoy has ripped of Neil Peart so many time it should be Criminal....Neils Drum solo just kills Portnoys weak double Bass mess he play in concert(Weak) There is more to the word complex then Odd-times,Long songs and solos.......... Rush Snakes and arrows is a deep,deep album. Very complex for those who know what there talking about..........

It's not true. DT has not ripped off Rush. Mike Portnoy sited Neil as an influence when he was young and starting out - as a drummer he looked up to Neil. What drummer didn't/doesn't? Get over it. Sure, they have paid homage to them in some of their shows. That's where it ends.

TMMB does sound suspiciously like DT. Is Rush ripping them off?? ohmy.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 27 2007, 04:31 AM)
I don't see myself "singing along" with this album.

You will. I've got the urge to sing more chorus in this album than any other since MP or PeW. I didn't think that after my first 6 or 7 listens.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Apr 27 2007, 12:25 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 27 2007, 04:31 AM)
I don't see myself "singing along" with this album.

You will. I've got the urge to sing more chorus in this album than any other since MP or PeW. I didn't think that after my first 6 or 7 listens.

i can only imagine the visuals during armor and sword. i really love alot of the music off S&A but i will be disappointed if they don't play my favs! i remember listening to VT and being suprised they played SECRET TOUCH. it's interesting finding out the songs rush like the most. you just never know. he's for hoping they play 4-5 songs from S&A.

Archived