MasterEggCream's Impressions of S & A

Gedneil Alpeart

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 13 2007, 03:03 PM)
QUOTE (lerkst @ Apr 13 2007, 02:59 PM)
If any of you consider this a review---go jump out the window. All I get from this post, besides having my time WASTED, was that some guy listened to the album.

And honestly, it doesn't even appear that this guy is much of a Rush fan--yes, he mentioned Cygnus--, he just rambles on about describing the music

Reading the post (seriously, read it again and you'll agree), he just describes Test for Echo.

It's more of a summary than a review.....don't think we should slam the guy, he is sharing some info with us. Besides....pretty hard to give a solid review after 1 listen......

http://www.scvhistory.com/gif/lw2199.jpg

"There was a S&A review in this thread??? Oh boy, what a load that is off my mind. I thought I'd lost it."

If any of you consider this a review---go jump out the window. All I get from this post, besides having my time WASTED, was that some guy listened to the album.

And honestly, it doesn't even appear that this guy is much of a Rush fan--yes, he mentioned Cygnus--, he just rambles on about describing the music

Reading the post (seriously, read it again and you'll agree), he just describes Test for Echo.

Man that was a classic shot hahahahahaha pokey.gif

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Apr 13 2007, 09:32 AM)
"Spindrift" -- Dark, midtempo tune. Not terribly melodic. "What am I supposted to say / What are the words to answer you / When you talk that way."

Spin Drift: "What am I supposted to say..."

You can clearly hear this at the end of the Spin Drift sample on Rush.com bncegrn.gif

Edited by TacRedline

Hmm.. I'm not sure about some of the things said in that "review"... unsure.gif I was kinda looking forward to alot of uptempo stuff on this record.. I love the tempo in Far Cry.. Is that considered "uptempo" or "midtempo"?

I was very curious about Spindrift... I listened to the clip on Rush.com and it was kinda slow, unlike what I had expected..

Fellow Rush fans please give me some reassurance!!! Do alot of you feel this way before an album is released?

QUOTE (Coltonz @ Apr 13 2007, 04:44 PM)
Hmm.. I'm not sure about some of the things said in that "review"... unsure.gif I was kinda looking forward to alot of uptempo stuff on this record.. I love the tempo in Far Cry.. Is that considered "uptempo" or "midtempo"?

I was very curious about Spindrift... I listened to the clip on Rush.com and it was kinda slow, unlike what I had expected..

Fellow Rush fans please give me some reassurance!!! Do alot of you feel this way before an album is released?

Nope.....I'm totally pumped....loved what I've heard so far......

Oh, boy. A lot of perky people here today!

Is "S&A" the best album since "Moving Pictures"? I don't know. I've only heard it a couple of times. I can't make that judgment right now.

Are there keys? Yes. But the term "window dressing" is very appropriate.

Oh, jeez! I made a typo when spelling "supposed"! Embarrassing.

Sorry to hear you wasted your time reading my comments, and I never said it was a review.

I really want to be rude here, cos some of you have been very rude to me and my efforts -- and that's really totally uncalled for, but I'll resist the urge. You can criticize my writing, my tone, my whatever -- but do not slam my *efforts.*

Another thing I must take issue with: I have been a Rush fan since 1982. Been to at least one show on every tour since, sometimes traveling more than 500 miles to make it to a gig. Read all the bios and all of Neil's books. Does that prove anything? No. But you're entitled to your opinion, my friend!

It's funny. I did this once before -- ran down my impressions of "VT" when my friend shared his promo copy with me. I posted my thoughts on the popular Rush site at the time (long shuttered now) and people jumped all over me.

Don't you find it really, really sad that TNMS and whatever-that-site-was-called shut down because of folks' inability to get along? It's boggled my mind. One of the more frustrating elements to the Net.

OK, I'm sorry, I went off-topic.

So be happy -- there's a new album on the way. They're touring -- something that Neil, much to my surprise (as mentioned in "Roadshow") was vehemently dead set against not only for "VT" but also for whatever came next (he warmed up to the R30 idea, IIRC, and "S&A" was not in the cards yet as of the book's publication, I believe).

And thanks to you who defended and/or appreciated my efforts.

MEC

Edited by MasterEggCream

QUOTE (MasterEggCream @ Apr 13 2007, 04:55 PM)
Oh, boy. A lot of perky people here today!

Is "S&A" the best album since "Moving Pictures"? I don't know. I've only heard it a couple of times. I can't make that judgment right now.

Are there keys? Yes. But the term "window dressing" is very appropriate.

Oh, jeez! I made a typo when spelling "supposed"! Embarrassing.

Sorry to hear you wasted your time reading my comments, and I never said it was a review.

I really want to be rude here, cos some of you have been very rude to me and my efforts -- and that's really totally uncalled for, but I'll resist the urge. You can criticize my writing, my tone, my whatever -- but do not slam my *efforts.*

Another thing I must take issue with: I have been a Rush fan since 1982. Been to at least one show on every tour since, sometimes traveling more than 500 miles to make it to a gig. Read all the bios and all of Neil's books. Does that prove anything? No. But you're entitled to your opinion, my friend!

It's funny. I did this once before -- ran down my impressions of "VT" when my friend shared his promo copy with me. I posted my thoughts on the popular Rush site at the time (long shuttered now) and people jumped all over me.

Don't you find it really, really sad that TNMS and whatever-that-site-was-called shut down because of folks' inability to get along? It's boggled my mind. One of the more frustrating elements to the Net.

OK, I'm sorry, I went off-topic.

So be happy -- there's a new album on the way. They're touring -- something that Neil, much to my surprise (as mentioned in "Roadshow") was vehemently dead set against not only for "VT" but also for whatever came next (he warmed up to the R30 idea, IIRC, and "S&A" was not in the cards yet as of the book's publication, I believe).

And thanks to you who defended and/or appreciated my efforts.

MEC

Well, I thought your post was great-- thanks for sharing all the new tidbits of info!

Oh my.....

confused13.gif

drool1.gif Nevermind what I just said about Spindrift.. It's beautiful..

QUOTE (Snowman @ Apr 13 2007, 02:51 PM)
I have been praying fore the return of the keys and I was so happy when Geddy mentioned somewhere that they would be there for "window dressings". It's no trace of keys on Far Cry or Malnar so I am suspecting that these windows will be very small and far between.

There are keys on Far Cry (yeah, window-dressing only, but they're there).

I must have listened to Far Cry about 600 times by now and have not heard a single key in there. Spindrift on the other hand...sounds hauntingly beautiful and the 30 seconds of it showed me some damn fine music. Ditto MalNar. Far Cry on the other hand never did anything for me and I was struggling to like it.

MEC,

I appreciated your efforts applaudit.gif and I think most others did as well. Looking back through the thread, there were just a couple of disrespectful comments and one big, out-of-context post that hijacked the thread into the Twilight Zone.

I would still be very interested to see how you feel S&A compares to RECENT Rush albums: VT, TFE, and CP.

Edited by PariahDog

QUOTE (amalignantfarcry @ Apr 13 2007, 03:40 PM)
I must have listened to Far Cry about 600 times by now and have not heard a single key in there. Spindrift on the other hand...sounds hauntingly beautiful and the 30 seconds of it showed me some damn fine music. Ditto MalNar. Far Cry on the other hand never did anything for me and I was struggling to like it.

wow after 600 times I think its safe to say Far Cry will not grow on you. I really like it alot but hope it's not the best track on the record.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Apr 13 2007, 01:57 PM)
I believe that Peart's lyrics are engaging, even when I believe his philosophies are misguided or wrong.  It is his message to speak, and I believe he does it with creativity and honesty.  I don't have to agree to be a huge fan, and I am.

SlyJeff,

Thanks for a much more reasonable take on a Christian listener's response to Neil's lyrics.

It's nice to know that there are still some who can disagree with but still appreciate another's viewpoint at the same time.

Seems like so many people these days are not only convinced that they alone are right, but also want to ram their beliefs down everyone else's throat.

Edited by PariahDog

Neil has been a moderate, liberal-leaning libertarian agnostic/atheist for decades. He's also been directly critical of the religious right many times.

amalignantfarcry, your statement, "Deep inside I get the feeling he holds such great anger towards a higher power for ripping his wife and child from him" doesn't make any sense as Peart has never believed in any higher power to get angry at (at least for as long as he's been with Rush). It's obvious from his lyrics, books, articles, and interviews.

I also don't understand your statement that Fear has become a big issue with Neil. It's a topic he's touched on many times over the decades.

As far your assertion that Neil is "starting to rail on like a liberal", you can go back to Counterparts and find lyrics that advocate social equality for women and gays (Nobody's Hero, Alien Shore). Go back to Presto and P/G for lyrics about environmental problems (Red Tide, DEW). Go back to Power Windows for lyrics against hunger, war, and nationalism (Territories).

That he's also written lyrics promoting individualism (Roll the Bones, Tom Sawyer, Freewill, The Trees, etc) doesn't change that he leans liberal on some issues. And many of those same songs about individualism also promoted atheism/agnostism... given who his influences were (like Ayn Rand), this shouldn't be surprising.

Part of the argument here may be more about the definition of liberal and libertarian and whether or not those terms conflict. For the purposes of this discussion, I'll refer to liberal in the commonly used sense (as opposed to one of the traditional definitions of embracing change).

Some conservatives say that liberal and libertarian are opposites and it's true that several liberal positions are associated with authoritarianism (such as gun control, affirmative action, and economic regulations). However, on many topics liberalism is closer to libertarianism, especially when it comes to social issues. For example:

• I'm sure all of us will agree that anyone under the influence of drugs (alcohol, pot, etc) should never be in positions where they could cause harm (driver, air traffic controller, operator of machinery, etc) but it's both liberal and libertarian to believe that what drugs people do on their own time is not the government's business.
  • It's both liberal and libertarian to believe that it isn't the government's place to regulate birth control or gay marriage/civil unions.
  • It's both liberal and libertarian to believe that children should not be indoctrinated into religion by public schools and that religion should be a personal decision.
There are obviously other topics where people of many ideologies cross-over (abortion, military spending, foreign policy), but that's another topic.

QUOTE (deslock @ Apr 13 2007, 04:23 PM)
Neil has been a moderate, liberal-leaning libertarian agnostic/atheist for decades. He's also been directly critical of the religious right many times.

amalignantfarcry, your statement, "Deep inside I get the feeling he holds such great anger towards a higher power for ripping his wife and child from him" doesn't make any sense as Peart has never believed in any higher power to get angry at (at least for as long as he's been with Rush). It's obvious from his lyrics, books, articles, and interviews.

I also don't understand your statement that Fear has become a big issue with Neil. It's a topic he's touched on many times over the decades.

As far your assertion that Neil is "starting to rail on like a liberal", you can go back to Counterparts and find lyrics that advocate social equality for women and gays (Nobody's Hero, Alien Shore). Go back to Presto and P/G for lyrics about environmental problems (Red Tide, DEW). Go back to Power Windows for lyrics against hunger, war, and nationalism (Territories).

That he's also written lyrics promoting individualism (Roll the Bones, Tom Sawyer, Freewill, The Trees, etc) doesn't change that he leans liberal on some issues. And many of those same songs about individualism also promoted atheism/agnostism... given who his influences were (like Ayn Rand), this shouldn't be surprising.

Part of the argument here may be more about the definition of liberal and libertarian and whether or not those terms conflict. For the purposes of this discussion, I'll refer to liberal in the commonly used sense (as opposed to one of the traditional definitions of embracing change).

Some conservatives say that liberal and libertarian are opposites and it's true that several liberal positions are associated with authoritarianism (such as gun control, affirmative action, and economic regulations). However, on many topics liberalism is closer to libertarianism, especially when it comes to social issues. For example:
  • I'm sure all of us will agree that anyone under the influence of drugs (alcohol, pot, etc) should never be in positions where they could cause harm (driver, air traffic controller, operator of machinery, etc) but it's both liberal and libertarian to believe that what drugs people do on their own time is not the government's business.
  • It's both liberal and libertarian to believe that it isn't the government's place to regulate birth control or gay marriage/civil unions.
  • It's both liberal and libertarian to believe that children should not be indoctrinated into religion by public schools and that religion should be a personal decision.
There are obviously other topics where people of many ideologies cross-over (abortion, military spending, foreign policy), but that's another topic.

I feel like a dumbass.

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Apr 13 2007, 05:53 PM)
QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Apr 13 2007, 01:57 PM)
I believe that Peart's lyrics are engaging, even when I believe his philosophies are misguided or wrong.  It is his message to speak, and I believe he does it with creativity and honesty.  I don't have to agree to be a huge fan, and I am.

SlyJeff,

Thanks for a much more reasonable take on a Christian listener's response to Neil's lyrics.

It's nice to know that there are still some who can disagree with but still appreciate another's viewpoint at the same time.

Seems like so many poeple these days are not only convinced that they alone are right, but also want to ram their beliefs down everyone else's throat.

In mild defense of the Christians, is it possible that they feel that is exactly what Neil is doing? bolt.gif

• Like 1

Yes, 311 very different. They have there "Tom Sawyers" on the radio, but some of there B SIDE shit simply kicks ass. .... in that it is very simple from RUSH, but it....kicks ass. Saw the drum solo and looked at my buddy from high school and said, " how much of that was influenced by Neil's Rythm METHOD". We both smiled realizing even at a 311 show, with a bunch of young kids,,,, RUSH had absolutely made an influence on this band. I have been to about 8 311 shows, but triple the rush shows.

SPINDRIFT.......

reminds me of the eeriness I felt the first time I heard WITCH HUNT.......25 years ago.

Hey Im new to all this shit, how do you get the smiley guy icons over here.