What is your most hated movie?

The Owl

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 15 2007, 12:38 PM)
Have you noticed that some of the BEST movies are comic book adaptations?  Almost every movie that comes out that is based on a comic shoots to number one. Why is that?

Because nobody ever said the general public had taste, and nobody ever went broke by under-estimating the intelligence of the masses. Professional wrestling and Nascar are popular, too. Mechanical bulls used to be all the rage.

But I digress. Are you saying that The Hulk, The Fantastic Four, the Batman francise (post-Tim Burton), Catwoman, Daredevil, Elektra, Red Sonja, Superman 3-5, etc. are all better and more artistic than "Star Wars" and LotR? rofl3.gif

I couldn't agree more. smile.gif

The only comic book movies I've seen that I think were TRULY great were the first two X-Men and the first two Spiderman movies. Those were all stupendous movies IMHO. Batman Begins I saw, but I didn't immediately get what everyone else saw in it. I'll need to see that one again - I can barely remember it. I didn't dislike it at all, it just kind of passed me by somehow...

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... most people would be embarrassed to admit their love of something this stupid.

Can you see now our comparison to your beloved comic books?

For the record, though... I have read a graphic novel or two in my time. Have you read any novels without pictures?

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 15 2007, 01:09 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 15 2007, 03:55 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 15 2007, 02:46 PM)
If someone doesn't like them... fine.  I'm pretty okay with less people liking the stuff I like.  I kinda hate it when the stuff I love goes all mainstream.  That's probably why I've been a 2.gif fan all my life. 

If everyone loved comics, i'd stop.  laugh.gif

You know in way this comment gives you something in common with Goobs and his hippy/underground prog musical taste...

I bet if all Goober's favourite psychedelic bands were household names he'd have rejected them and have found some other shit to get into and drone on about on a net radio show...

Nah. Goobs just hates stuff that is good. Unfortunately BAD stuff also gets published or released on albums. If for some reason his prog/indy shit got popular, he'd be in heaven. He loves being a part of the masses. Look at his love of Star Wars and LotR. That's an obvious trait of his. Not only does he love it, but he feverishly tries to get everyone else to see his love of things, thereby proving he wants mass acceptance of anything he finds to be good. Almost admirable, except for the fact that while he pushes HIS loves down your throats, he is unable to open his own mind to see what YOU might have to say about something. I listen to his show, and I've downloaded stuff he has recommended before condemning any of it, or actually accepting that it was good. Goober won't take the time of day to even bother listening to something I might recommend. This is the problem.

So i'd appreciate that you really look over what you're posting about and realize there is about NO comparisons to me and Goober. no.gif

You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all... etc.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 15 2007, 04:22 PM)
Holy crap, I just realized something! You're from Pennsylvania???

I was driving through Pennsylvania last weekend, and I saw a guy that looked like you... but I figured it wasn't. Did you eat at Wendy's last weekend, wearing a Slayer t-shirt? Seriously. It was Easter Sunday.

We may have been in the same restaurant at the same time and not known it.

No. I don't eat at Wendy's nor do i own any band related t-shirts. I only have one 2.gif t-shirt and that's only cuz it was bought as a gift for me. Otherwise... no band related t's. So it couldn't have been me. What part of Pa. was it?

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 15 2007, 01:13 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 15 2007, 03:55 PM)
Listen. I don't deny having my guilty pleasures as well. But i'm not gonna act like a buffoon and argue to the death that some of the stupid shit I like is a TIMELESS CLASSIC. I'm just not that much of an ass, no matter what the general opinion is.

Fair enough.

At least you recognize that comics are a "guilty pleasure" and "stupid shit."

You are just proving your ignorance. The comic book medium is far from "stupid shit". I wasn't referring to comics as stupid shit. I may not have been specific enough, but that wasn't what I was inferring. Your penchant for misquoting people had reared its ugly head again, and this is why even playful banter with you is so displeasurable.

As I said... i don't try to force anyone to like what I like, but you'd be in for a pleasant surprise if you picked up some quality graphic novels. I have found that a large amount of people that don't like comics have never even given them a chance. Or... they couldn't "follow" the story. I guess following the panels from left to right, top to bottom, can be just too much for some. tongue.gif

I liked comic books when I was a kid. My brother still loves them. He's kind of addicted. One time when I was visiting him he gave me this series of graphic novels to read. I read two or three of them when I was there. They were good and kind of interesting, but I didn't take them home with me or bother to continue with the series. I don't know, they were just "comic books", ya know? I just didn't see the point. I'm glad he enjoys them though.

Give me a good quality science-fiction book and I'll love it to death, but I kind of grew out of books with pictures around adolescence. I can respect the artistry of the images, and I'm sure there are good stories, but meh.

BTW, GeddyRulz, I love you, dude. Keep sticking it to the man! wink.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 15 2007, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 15 2007, 03:09 PM)
If someone doesn't like them... fine.  I'm pretty okay with less people liking the stuff I like.  I kinda hate it when the stuff I love goes all mainstream.  That's probably why I've been a 2.gif fan all my life. 

You know in way this comment gives you something in common with Goobs and his hippy/underground prog musical taste...

I bet if all Goober's favourite psychedelic bands were household names he'd have rejected them and have found some other shit to get into and drone on about on a net radio show...

Nah. Goobs just hates stuff that is good. Unfortunately BAD stuff also gets published or released on albums. If for some reason his prog/indy shit got popular, he'd be in heaven. He loves being a part of the masses. Look at his love of Star Wars and LotR. That's an obvious trait of his. Not only does he love it, but he feverishly tries to get everyone else to see his love of things, thereby proving he wants mass acceptance of anything he finds to be good. Almost admirable, except for the fact that while he pushes HIS loves down your throats, he is unable to open his own mind to see what YOU might have to say about something. I listen to his show, and I've downloaded stuff he has recommended before condemning any of it, or actually accepting that it was good. Goober won't take the time of day to even bother listening to something I might recommend. This is the problem.

So i'd appreciate that you really look over what you're posting about and realize there is about NO comparisons to me and Goober. no.gif

Yeah and to sum it up, Goobs is a shameless old whore who's too worn out-looking to attract any tricks anymore, so will go to any lengths to get that attention he used to get...

laugh.gif

Um, yeah... wacko.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 15 2007, 03:45 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 15 2007, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 15 2007, 03:09 PM)

Yeah and to sum it up, Goobs is a shameless old whore who's too worn out-looking to attract any tricks anymore, so will go to any lengths to get that attention he used to get...

laugh.gif

Um, yeah... wacko.gif

Good to see you finally admit it, even as confused as you are about it...

wink.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 15 2007, 03:42 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 15 2007, 04:22 PM)
Holy crap, I just realized something!  You're from Pennsylvania???

I was driving through Pennsylvania last weekend, and I saw a guy that looked like you... but I figured it wasn't.  Did you eat at Wendy's last weekend, wearing a Slayer t-shirt?  Seriously.  It was Easter Sunday.

We may have been in the same restaurant at the same time and not known it.

No. I don't eat at Wendy's nor do i own any band related t-shirts. I only have one 2.gif t-shirt and that's only cuz it was bought as a gift for me. Otherwise... no band related t's. So it couldn't have been me. What part of Pa. was it?

I don't remember. Long car ride from D.C. to Albany.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 15 2007, 04:37 PM)
... most people would be embarrassed to admit their love of something this stupid.

Can you see now our comparison to your beloved comic books?

For the record, though... I have read a graphic novel or two in my time. Have you read any novels without pictures?

Of course I read regular novels also. I just don't feel the need to discuss everything I read. If it moves me, I may be interested in other's opinions, but usually I could care less what others think of what I like. If it pleases me, that's usually all i need. Occassionally I'll recommend something because I think others would benefit from what I found to be great, like I did with 300. And if I think something is ridiculous drivel, like LOTR or Star Wars...then i'll post that too. If people would stop trying to hammer it down my throat with comparisons of it to ART and TIMELESS CLASSICS... i wouldn't feel so moved to reply. I understand people liking them, but i don't understand blind devotion to anything. Especially something so trivial as a sci-fi movie.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 15 2007, 04:44 PM)
Listen. I don't deny having my guilty pleasures as well. But i'm not gonna act like a buffoon and argue to the death that some of the stupid shit I like is a TIMELESS CLASSIC. I'm just not that much of an ass, no matter what the general opinion is.

Fair enough.

You are just proving your ignorance. The comic book medium is far from "stupid shit". I wasn't referring to comics as stupid shit. I may not have been specific enough, but that wasn't what I was inferring. Your penchant for misquoting people had reared its ugly head again, and this is why even playful banter with you is so displeasurable.

As I said... i don't try to force anyone to like what I like, but you'd be in for a pleasant surprise if you picked up some quality graphic novels. I have found that a large amount of people that don't like comics have never even given them a chance. Or... they couldn't "follow" the story. I guess following the panels from left to right, top to bottom, can be just too much for some. tongue.gif

I liked comic books when I was a kid. My brother still loves them. He's kind of addicted. One time when I was visiting him he gave me this series of graphic novels to read. I read two or three of them when I was there. They were good and kind of interesting, but I didn't take them home with me or bother to continue with the series. I don't know, they were just "comic books", ya know? I just didn't see the point. I'm glad he enjoys them though.

Give me a good quality science-fiction book and I'll love it to death, but I kind of grew out of books with pictures around adolescence. I can respect the artistry of the images, and I'm sure there are good stories, but meh.

BTW, GeddyRulz, I love you, dude. Keep sticking it to the man! wink.gif tongue.gif

Am i supposed to take the adolescence dig seriously? You worship YODA for Christ's sake. You get all hard over three gay trolls with hairy feet and yet you think your dig about comics and adolescence has MERIT. A "DIG" must have some kind of one-uppance Goobs. You are so buried in being a YODA groupie and whacking it to HOBBITS that your digs on me liking comics fall far short of the mark. Sorry bro. moon.gif

Oh... and I'll give credit where it's due. At least GR has the balls to "keep giving it to the man". He hasn't quit any sub-forums or stopped posting in threads no matter how he's been jumped on. Kudos to you Rulz for at leat that. trink39.gif

If he's confronted with something, he doesn't run from it. Not like some who deflect any chance of explaining themselves or answering direct questions with stupidity. Oh, in case you don't get it... there's FAR more than my hatred of stupid movies involved here.

But then again... since you don't have the time to be bothered with your so-called friends... it won't matter to you, will it?

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 15 2007, 01:56 PM)

Fair enough.

Am i supposed to take the adolescence dig seriously? You worship YODA for Christ's sake. You get all hard over three gay trolls with hairy feet and yet you think your dig about comics and adolescence has MERIT. A "DIG" must have some kind of one-uppance Goobs. You are so buried in being a YODA groupie and whacking it to HOBBITS that your digs on me liking comics fall far short of the mark. Sorry bro. moon.gif

Oh... and I'll give credit where it's due. At least GR has the balls to "keep giving it to the man". He hasn't quit any sub-forums or stopped posting in threads no matter how he's been jumped on. Kudos to you Rulz for at leat that. trink39.gif

If he's confronted with something, he doesn't run from it. Not like some who deflect any chance of explaining themselves or answering direct questions with stupidity. Oh, in case you don't get it... there's FAR more than my hatred of stupid movies involved here.

But then again... since you don't have the time to be bothered with your so-called friends... it won't matter to you, will it?

*sigh*

I'd comment more I guess, but you and Treeduck have me so figured out that it's hardly necessary. What more would I have to add? confused13.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 15 2007, 04:00 PM)

Fair enough.

*sigh*

I'd comment more I guess, but you and Treeduck have me so figured out that it's hardly necessary. What more would I have to add? confused13.gif

Well said Goobs, good to see you take it on the chin...

And no I don't accept this comment as sarcasm you're not capable of even the lowest form of wit I'm afraid...you need to work on that...

tongue.gif

My main point was: people who read comic books into their 30s have no place trashing "Star Wars" the way Necro has.

That's all. And may the Force be with him. tongue.gif

Edited by GeddyRulz

I thought this was an interesting find. It's of course in no way related to any previous posts in this thread. wink.gif

In the Internet Movie Database (IMDB), where people can vote on movies and give them a 1-10 rating, I found the following in the list of their top 250 rated films of all time (link):

8. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

9. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

12. Star Wars (1977)

15. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

24. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

33. The Matrix

I THINK all of the ones on the bottom were adapted from comic books, though I'm not positive:

69. Sin City

92. Batman Begins

126. V For Vendetta

Anyway, that was all I could find on the top #250 list related to comic book movies. I'm not trying to illustrate any kind of point here or anything, I'm just saying. tongue.gif

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober6/foto.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 15 2007, 02:03 PM)

Fair enough.

*sigh*

And no I don't accept this comment as sarcasm you're not capable of even the lowest form of wit I'm afraid...you need to work on that...

tongue.gif

Thanks, I'll get right on that. unsure.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 15 2007, 05:00 PM)

Fair enough.

*sigh*

See what i mean?

I had about six more paragraphs here, but figured it's not worth my time wondering WHY anymore. no.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 15 2007, 04:15 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 15 2007, 02:03 PM)

Fair enough.

*sigh*

tongue.gif

Thanks, I'll get right on that. unsure.gif

Just do your best Goobs, no one exepcts anything much from you...

smile.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 15 2007, 04:15 PM)

Fair enough.

*sigh*

See what i mean?

I had about six more paragraphs here, but figured it's not worth my time wondering WHY anymore. no.gif

If Goobs has no answer or argument, he ignores your points and just posts some weak attempt at a sarcastic agreement, instead of just leaving it with no answer...

I'm not sure why he thinks this is a good idea...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 15 2007, 05:14 PM)
I thought this was an interesting find. It's of course in no way related to any previous posts in this thread. wink.gif

In the Internet Movie Database (IMDB), where people can vote on movies and give them a 1-10 rating, I found the following in the list of their top 250 rated films of all time (link):

8. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
9. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
12. Star Wars (1977)
15. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
24. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
33. The Matrix

I THINK all of the ones on the bottom were adapted from comic books, though I'm not positive:

69. Sin City
92. Batman Begins
126. V For Vendetta

Anyway, that was all I could find on the top #250 list related to comic book movies. I'm not trying to illustrate any kind of point here or anything, I'm just saying. tongue.gif

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober6/foto.gif

Hmmm... a database where you can vote repeatedly on the geekiest movie of your choice??? Wow... that holds a TON of credit in my book.

Again... i don't dispute the insane popularity of these movies. It's a well known fact that Americans are sheep and have no minds of their own. So when you get hit over the head with HUGE media campaigns for this shit, of course the lowest forms will come out and spend their hard earned money watching something OVER AND OVER. Never once have I debated this. I mean... you're talking about the KINGS of GEEKDOM. Of course they are camped in front of their computers voting repeatedly on LOTR and STAR WARS. When they're not, they are getting dressed up in their Han Solo and Slave Girl Leia outfits.

LOSERS!!!

z7shysterical.gif

I guess now isn't the time to being up the Star Wars comic I had as a kid, it was great.

Disco

PS I was at a fancy dress party recently where our hostess was in her 'Slave Girl Leia outfit', believe me there's nothing geeky there. It was all good, as were Barberella and Catgirl.

Edited by Disco

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 15 2007, 05:19 PM)

Fair enough.

*sigh*

See what i mean?

If Goobs has no answer or argument, he ignores your points and just posts some weak attempt at a sarcastic agreement, instead of just leaving it with no answer...

cuz then it makes the conflict go away he thinks.

Back in the old days, he'd stand toe to toe with anyone who bashed him. I respected the Old Goobs. Even if he was ridiculously wrong, he would fight to the death for his convictions. Now, he just ignores friends and acts all uppity about what is good and what is worthy of his discussion. It's gotten very old, hasn't it?

What do you think Tree? Will this be ignored or smart ass comment? I doubt that an actual answer to my accusations should be included as a choice. Do you?

unsure.gif

QUOTE (Disco @ Apr 15 2007, 05:20 PM)
I guess now isn't the time to being up the Star Wars comic I had as a kid, it was great.

Disco

PS I was at a fancy dress party recently where our hostess was in her 'Slave Girl Leia outfit', believe me there's nothing geeky there. It was all good, as were Barberella and Catgirl.

Yeah... me and CeeJ don our Batman and Catwoman outfits regularly too.

no.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 15 2007, 04:24 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 15 2007, 05:19 PM)

Fair enough.

*sigh*

See what i mean?

cuz then it makes the conflict go away he thinks.

Back in the old days, he'd stand toe to toe with anyone who bashed him. I respected the Old Goobs. Even if he was ridiculously wrong, he would fight to the death for his convictions. Now, he just ignores friends and acts all uppity about what is good and what is worthy of his discussion. It's gotten very old, hasn't it?

What do you think Tree? Will this be ignored or smart ass comment? I doubt that an actual answer to my accusations should be included as a choice. Do you?

unsure.gif

He'll either ignore it, as he ignored the Alec Guiness Star Wars quotes, or he'll put something like this...

"Yes ummmm, of course, treeduck and Necro, right on the money as usual, yeah right ha ha, suuuuure. Aren't I sarcastic and amazingly supercilious, even though I'm hardly saying anything as usual?"