What is your most hated movie?

The Owl

QUOTE (The Owl @ Apr 15 2007, 02:03 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 15 2007, 11:49 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 15 2007, 07:00 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 15 2007, 10:22 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 15 2007, 02:58 AM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ Apr 15 2007, 12:13 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 14 2007, 07:03 AM)
QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Apr 13 2007, 10:04 PM)
well, I'll post this knowing before hand I'm going to get ripped to shreds for it, but among my most hated films ever are two recent trilogies, that seemingly everyone else in America thought were great.  I of course speak of The Matrix and Lord of the Rings trilogies.  The one film from each trilogy that I had the misfortune of seeing were so bad they put me to sleep.  The Matrix while I was in the theater.  On a good note, I didn't have to pay for the ticket, and I got a good two and a half hour nap out of it.  Just horrible movies.  And with the Matrix, what else could you expect, it starred Keanu Reeves, who's only good films were The Devil's Advocate (because of Pacino) and the Replacements (because of Gene Hackman and the actor who played the kicker).

ohmy.gif

The 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies were ok. Certainly not a great way to end the story, but at least it was pretty to look at. The first Matrix, on the other hand, was an absolute masterpiece.

The LOTR trilogy to me is one of the finest creations, even works of art, ever produced in cinema as far as I'm concerned. An absolute phenomenal achievement on every level, and one that will undoubtedly stand the test of time, continuing to give great enjoyment to hundreds of millions for decades to come.

Some of the worst movies of all time??? fing.gif

So how was that for ripping you to shreds? wink.gif

Meh, it's all opinions. You know I still like you regardless doubled_mystic, bad taste in movies and all. tongue.gif trink39.gif

Yeah i don't understand the LOTR's in the most hated category. He is certainly one of the group of about a hundred people in the world confused13.gif that feel that way - But that's His opinion -

I wouldn't put The Matrix or LOTR movies as my most hated BUT I don't like them AT ALL. Matrix 1 and 2 and LOTR 1 & 3 put me to sleep (I didn't see Matrix 3 or LOTR 2...and 'NO' I wasn't tired or sleepy when I saw those flicks). I tried watching LOTR 1 twice because everyone seemed to have a hard on for it. I thought I might've been missing some classic movie. Well, I fell asleep both times. And the same thing happened with Matrix 1...tried to see it twice and fell asleep both times. I'll admit that Matrix and LOTR are visually cool but that's where it ends for me.

Do you not like sci-fi and fantasy in general? As far as I'm concerned, the 1st Matrix and the LOTR trilogy is about as good as it gets in the sci-fi and fantasy arena...

Yes I like sci-fi and fantasy. I liked the original Star Wars movies, some of the Star Trek movies, Terminator, Alien, many superhero movies (which could be be categorized in sci-fi and/or fantasy), etc. I just didn't like the Matrix and LOTR movies. I strongly disagree that they're as good as it gets in that arena as you stated.

Well, in terms of sci-fi, The Matrix is somewhat non-traditional - it's not an outer space epic, but it is sci-fi. There are a LOT of great sci-fi movies that have been made, including many of the ones you've mentioned.

The Lord of the Rings movies, on the other hand - to me they have no equal in the world of fantasy movies, not even close. To me it would be like comparing an 8-year old's art with Monet or Picasso or whatever someone's favorite artist are. They are absolute masterworks.

Of course you're netitled to your opinion, but I'm just puzzled to no end when people don't like those movies, much less hate them. My wife and I have the extended versions of all three and we've watched them countless times. Pure art of the highest order.

Then again, people can't understand my loathing of VT and insist that's high art too, so I guess there's no accounting for taste. wacko.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dZUJj2DSc8

Ok I am a fan of LOTR, but Randall makes some good points against LOTR. And you can't compare The Rings to the Star Wars saga. The Force will always hold true. (and that includes the prequel trilogy as well)

OMG!!!

Are we in a Kevin Smith movie here? People are actually ARGUING over which mindless drivel is BETTER??? LOTR or Star Wars??? WHO THE f**k CARES??? :sheesh:

My CHILDREN have more intelligent arguments.

moon.gif

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 15 2007, 02:36 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 15 2007, 11:01 AM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ Apr 14 2007, 11:13 AM)
well, I'll post this knowing before hand I'm going to get ripped to shreds for it, but among my most hated films ever are two recent trilogies, that seemingly everyone else in America thought were great.  I of course speak of The Matrix and Lord of the Rings trilogies.  The one film from each trilogy that I had the misfortune of seeing were so bad they put me to sleep.  The Matrix while I was in the theater.  On a good note, I didn't have to pay for the ticket, and I got a good two and a half hour nap out of it.  Just horrible movies.  And with the Matrix, what else could you expect, it starred Keanu Reeves, who's only good films were The Devil's Advocate (because of Pacino) and the Replacements (because of Gene Hackman and the actor who played the kicker).

ohmy.gif

The 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies were ok. Certainly not a great way to end the story, but at least it was pretty to look at. The first Matrix, on the other hand, was an absolute masterpiece.

The LOTR trilogy to me is one of the finest creations, even works of art, ever produced in cinema as far as I'm concerned. An absolute phenomenal achievement on every level, and one that will undoubtedly stand the test of time, continuing to give great enjoyment to hundreds of millions for decades to come.

Meh, it's all opinions. You know I still like you regardless doubled_mystic, bad taste in movies and all. tongue.gif trink39.gif

Yeah i don't understand the LOTR's in the most hated category. He is certainly one of the group of about a hundred people in the world confused13.gif that feel that way - But that's His opinion -

WRONG!!! There are just as many people who HATE LOTR as there is that enjoy it. Even more, cuz usually the people who loved it... GROW UP and realize what a horrible piece of shit it is. Those who don't grow up... well.. they just have no taste in movies to begin with I guess.

I agree that the Matrix sequels blew also. The first was okay, but nothing worth spawning such a frenzied fan following. Just more proof that the masses are sheep that will follow anything that is forced down their throats.

ART??? My god... does it ever stop??? Do you type that shit with a straight face Goobs? Seriously? ART??? z7shysterical.gif

Great, you found this thread. sarcasm.gif

One of the most stupdendous artistic creations ever made in cinema, and in the world of fantasy, head and shoulders above the rest. An astounding mindboggling creation of genius.

Absolutely straight face.

I found it a long time ago. Just most people know how much I can't stand these two "movies". So i had no reason to post. But your constant defense of them, mixed with unrealistic praise just sets me off. I mean... most people would be embarrassed to admit their love of something this stupid. Maybe call it a guilty pleasure or something, but you actually seem convinced that the rest of us are MISSING something by not being fascinated by muppets and CG shit combined with WEAK stories that are either OLD (LOTR), or ripped off from another creator (Star Wars).

I understand opinions and how everyone is entitled to them, but when you post with this attitude that how you see it is THE way to see it... then I have to finally jump in.

Oh... that and the fact that I read posts and threads that my friends are involved in too. tongue.gif Cuz even if i don't agree with something, I like to see what my friends are up to. I understand that YOU are above that though. moon.gif

Bye. Go watch your dumb movies another thousand times. Maybe I'll agree with you in fifty years. tongue.gif

Lord of the Rings?

I didn't even bother watching the trailers...

I never liked Star wars, even Alec Guiness thought those films were crap...

From IMDB:

Reportedly hated working on Star Wars (1977) so much, Guinness claims that Obi-Wan's death was his idea as a means to limit his involvement in the film. Guinness also claims to throw away all Star Wars related fan mail without even opening it.

Reportedly answered one "Star Wars" fan's boast that he'd seen the first movie over a hundred times, with a nod and the words "Promise me you'll never watch it again." The boy was stunned, but his mother thanked Guinness.

[On how much he disliked working on Star Wars (1977) and his attempts to encourage George Lucas to kill off Obi-Wan Kenobi]: And he agreed with me. What I didn't tell him was that I just couldn't go on speaking those bloody awful, banal lines. I'd had enough of the mumbo jumbo.

[during filming of Star Wars (1977)]: Apart from the money, I regret having embarked on the film. I like them well enough, but it's not an acting job, the dialogue - which is lamentable - keeps being changed and only slightly improved...

laugh.gif

Necro, dude, the LOTR trilogy is an iconic landmark in cinema history. Whether they are to your taste or not is another matter, but they are, surely, undeniably great films.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 15 2007, 02:50 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 15 2007, 01:36 PM)

ohmy.gif

WRONG!!! There are just as many people who HATE LOTR as there is that enjoy it. Even more, cuz usually the people who loved it... GROW UP and realize what a horrible piece of shit it is. Those who don't grow up... well.. they just have no taste in movies to begin with I guess.

I agree that the Matrix sequels blew also. The first was okay, but nothing worth spawning such a frenzied fan following. Just more proof that the masses are sheep that will follow anything that is forced down their throats.

ART??? My god... does it ever stop??? Do you type that shit with a straight face Goobs? Seriously? ART??? z7shysterical.gif

One of the most stupdendous artistic creations ever made in cinema, and in the world of fantasy, head and shoulders above the rest. An astounding mindboggling creation of genius.

... much more so than the latest batch of Green Lantern comics.

Have you noticed that some of the BEST movies are comic book adaptations? No... probably not, cuz you're a fan of drivel like Star Wars and LOTR too. yes.gif

Almost every movie that comes out that is based on a comic shoots to number one. Why is that? Hmmm... maybe that there's a MASSIVE fan base in comic books AND the stories appeal to people that DON'T read comics as well. I'm sure the millions of people that saw 300 or V for Vendetta didn't even know that they were comic book adaptations.

Oh... i'm not a fan of Green Lantern much, by the way. Do some research before you attempt to slay ME. moon.gif

one of the worst movies of all time has to be the one with travolta in it, battlefield earth, its unwatchable ! 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Disco @ Apr 15 2007, 03:16 PM)
Necro, dude, the LOTR trilogy is an iconic landmark in cinema history. Whether they are to your taste or not is another matter, but they are, surely, undeniably great films.

Undeniably by WHO? I deny that they are great. So do millions of other people who have taste. I won't deny that they are HUGE money making ventures, but THAT does not make them GREAT FILMS. Please.

I think TreeDuck's previous post about the feelings that Alec Guinnes had on being involved in them speaks volumes about the type of movies they are. DRIVEL. I honestly think that people who like them are fine. That's not a big deal. Like I said... a guilty pleasure. We all have them. But this "defend to the death" crap that I see Goobs and others go off on just kill me. I truley believe there is a slight sickness involved in fanaticism of any kind. Especially in fanaticism over ridiculous crap like movies. And then fanaticism over BAD movies like these two??? That's just insane, in my opinion.

The fact that I continually bag on these movies and people continually freak out and get all incensed over my comments just PROVES my theory of insanity on their part. yes.gif

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Disco @ Apr 15 2007, 03:21 PM)
Yeah, like that Judge Dredd film......

bolt.gif

laugh.gif

Yeah... there's been a few stinkers. Captain America was horrible too. But that was before Hollywood took comics seriously. Even the early Supermans were horrible. Comic companies were too eager to sign a movie deal that they relinquished too much control over creative license. Now they retain most of the control, or in Marvel's case... become the actual movie maker themselves.

I doubt there will be any that are of the caliber of Dredd or Captain America or the first version of The Punisher ever again.

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 15 2007, 09:23 PM)
one of the worst movies of all time has to be the one with travolta in it, battlefield earth, its unwatchable ! 062802puke_prv.gif

For sure. There is something, literally, repulsive about it. It was on telly a couple of years back and, having heard it was truly awful, sat down to watch it, in the way you can sometimes enjoy a film being bad.

But I just couldn't do it. Within moments I was so utterly bored, so completely disengaged. It wasn't just the walk-thru style acting, the gibberish of the dialogue, there was something deeply and profoundly dull about it. And to think that rubbish nonsense of this magnitude had prentensions to meaning. I lasted 10 minutes.

Really, it's not even worth a look as a laugh.

Disco

Have you noticed that some of the BEST movies are comic book adaptations?  Almost every movie that comes out that is based on a comic shoots to number one. Why is that?

Because nobody ever said the general public had taste, and nobody ever went broke by under-estimating the intelligence of the masses. Professional wrestling and Nascar are popular, too. Mechanical bulls used to be all the rage.

But I digress. Are you saying that The Hulk, The Fantastic Four, the Batman francise (post-Tim Burton), Catwoman, Daredevil, Elektra, Red Sonja, Superman 3-5, etc. are all better and more artistic than "Star Wars" and LotR? rofl3.gif

I truly believe there is a slight sickness involved in fanaticism of any kind. Especially in fanaticism over ridiculous crap like movies.

It's much better to be fanatical (and "defend to the death") comic books.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 15 2007, 09:26 PM)

Undeniably by WHO? I deny that they are great. So do millions of other people who have taste. I won't deny that they are HUGE money making ventures, but THAT does not make them GREAT FILMS. Please.

Undeniable by you cos I say so. tongue.gif

thread renamed "necro vs. geddyrulz."

bolt.gif

Edited by tick

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 15 2007, 03:38 PM)
Have you noticed that some of the BEST movies are comic book adaptations?  Almost every movie that comes out that is based on a comic shoots to number one. Why is that?

Because nobody ever said the general public had taste, and nobody ever went broke by under-estimating the masses.

But I digress. Are you saying that The Hulk, The Fantastic Four, the Batman francise (post-Tim Burton), Catwoman, Daredevil, Elektra, Red Sonja, Superman 3-5, etc. are all better and more artistic than "Star Wars" and LotR? rofl3.gif

Yep.

I don't particularly like every one that you just mentioned, but just on their originality they get more respect from me than LOTR and Star Wars.

If I took a bunch of CG effects and jazzed up ANY old novel, I'm sure it would be huge. Beowulf for instance. The book sucks, but if you CG it up... WOW... the masses will flock to it. And as far as Lucas did... he found a very good Japanese Feudalism movie and changed the setting from feudal Japan to outer space. Wow... that was creative originality at it's best. Kinda like if I took a story of three guys and three girls and moved them from a coffee shop and put them in a book store instead. I'll call it BUDS and I'm sure it will make millions, cuz it has an already proven formula and the GENERAL PUBLIC is so stupid, they won't even realize they are being ripped off.

Listen. I don't deny having my guilty pleasures as well. But i'm not gonna act like a buffoon and argue to the death that some of the stupid shit I like is a TIMELESS CLASSIC. I'm just not that much of an ass, no matter what the general opinion is. laugh.gif

Because nobody ever said the general public had taste, and nobody ever went broke by under-estimating the intelligence of the masses.

I truly believe there is a slight sickness involved in fanaticism of any kind. Especially in fanaticism over ridiculous crap like movies.

It's much better to be fanatical (and "defend to the death") comic books.

I don't defend to the death anything about comic books. If someone doesn't like them... fine. I'm pretty okay with less people liking the stuff I like. I kinda hate it when the stuff I love goes all mainstream. That's probably why I've been a 2.gif fan all my life.

If everyone loved comics, i'd stop. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 15 2007, 02:44 PM)

Because nobody ever said the general public had taste, and nobody ever went broke by under-estimating the masses.

Yep.

I don't particularly like every one that you just mentioned, but just on their originality they get more respect from me than LOTR and Star Wars.

If I took a bunch of CG effects and jazzed up ANY old novel, I'm sure it would be huge. Beowulf for instance. The book sucks, but if you CG it up... WOW... the masses will flock to it. And as far as Lucas did... he found a very good Japanese Feudalism movie and changed the setting from feudal Japan to outer space. Wow... that was creative originality at it's best. Kinda like if I took a story of three guys and three girls and moved them from a coffee shop and put them in a book store instead. I'll call it BUDS and I'm sure it will make millions, cuz it has an already proven formula and the GENERAL PUBLIC is so stupid, they won't even realize they are being ripped off.

Listen. I don't deny having my guilty pleasures as well. But i'm not gonna act like a buffoon and argue to the death that some of the stupid shit I like is a TIMELESS CLASSIC. I'm just not that much of an ass, no matter what the general opinion is. laugh.gif

C'mon you've got to admit, Necro proves with post after post that he's nowhere near as dumb as he looks...

laugh.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 15 2007, 03:50 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 15 2007, 02:44 PM)

Yep.

C'mon you've got to admit, Necro proves with post after post that he's nowhere near as dumb as he looks...

laugh.gif wink.gif

Yeah!!!

confused13.gif

Wait a second... was that a veiled insult??? z7shysterical.gif

PUNK!!!

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 15 2007, 02:46 PM)
If someone doesn't like them... fine. I'm pretty okay with less people liking the stuff I like. I kinda hate it when the stuff I love goes all mainstream. That's probably why I've been a 2.gif fan all my life.

If everyone loved comics, i'd stop. laugh.gif

You know in way this comment gives you something in common with Goobs and his hippy/underground prog musical taste...

I bet if all Goober's favourite psychedelic bands were household names he'd have rejected them and have found some other shit to get into and drone on about on a net radio show...

Listen. I don't deny having my guilty pleasures as well. But i'm not gonna act like a buffoon and argue to the death that some of the stupid shit I like is a TIMELESS CLASSIC. I'm just not that much of an ass, no matter what the general opinion is.

Fair enough.

At least you recognize that comics are a "guilty pleasure" and "stupid shit."

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 15 2007, 03:55 PM)
If someone doesn't like them... fine.  I'm pretty okay with less people liking the stuff I like.  I kinda hate it when the stuff I love goes all mainstream.  That's probably why I've been a 2.gif fan all my life. 

If everyone loved comics, i'd stop.  laugh.gif

You know in way this comment gives you something in common with Goobs and his hippy/underground prog musical taste...

I bet if all Goober's favourite psychedelic bands were household names he'd have rejected them and have found some other shit to get into and drone on about on a net radio show...

Nah. Goobs just hates stuff that is good. Unfortunately BAD stuff also gets published or released on albums. If for some reason his prog/indy shit got popular, he'd be in heaven. He loves being a part of the masses. Look at his love of Star Wars and LotR. That's an obvious trait of his. Not only does he love it, but he feverishly tries to get everyone else to see his love of things, thereby proving he wants mass acceptance of anything he finds to be good. Almost admirable, except for the fact that while he pushes HIS loves down your throats, he is unable to open his own mind to see what YOU might have to say about something. I listen to his show, and I've downloaded stuff he has recommended before condemning any of it, or actually accepting that it was good. Goober won't take the time of day to even bother listening to something I might recommend. This is the problem.

So i'd appreciate that you really look over what you're posting about and realize there is about NO comparisons to me and Goober. no.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 15 2007, 03:55 PM)
Listen. I don't deny having my guilty pleasures as well. But i'm not gonna act like a buffoon and argue to the death that some of the stupid shit I like is a TIMELESS CLASSIC. I'm just not that much of an ass, no matter what the general opinion is.

Fair enough.

At least you recognize that comics are a "guilty pleasure" and "stupid shit."

You are just proving your ignorance. The comic book medium is far from "stupid shit". I wasn't referring to comics as stupid shit. I may not have been specific enough, but that wasn't what I was inferring. Your penchant for misquoting people had reared its ugly head again, and this is why even playful banter with you is so displeasurable.

As I said... i don't try to force anyone to like what I like, but you'd be in for a pleasant surprise if you picked up some quality graphic novels. I have found that a large amount of people that don't like comics have never even given them a chance. Or... they couldn't "follow" the story. I guess following the panels from left to right, top to bottom, can be just too much for some. tongue.gif

Holy crap, I just realized something! You're from Pennsylvania???

I was driving through Pennsylvania last weekend, and I saw a guy that looked like you... but I figured it wasn't. Did you eat at Wendy's last weekend, wearing a Slayer t-shirt? Seriously. It was Easter Sunday.

We may have been in the same restaurant at the same time and not known it.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 15 2007, 03:09 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 15 2007, 03:55 PM)
If someone doesn't like them... fine.  I'm pretty okay with less people liking the stuff I like.  I kinda hate it when the stuff I love goes all mainstream.  That's probably why I've been a 2.gif fan all my life. 

If everyone loved comics, i'd stop.  laugh.gif

Nah. Goobs just hates stuff that is good. Unfortunately BAD stuff also gets published or released on albums. If for some reason his prog/indy shit got popular, he'd be in heaven. He loves being a part of the masses. Look at his love of Star Wars and LotR. That's an obvious trait of his. Not only does he love it, but he feverishly tries to get everyone else to see his love of things, thereby proving he wants mass acceptance of anything he finds to be good. Almost admirable, except for the fact that while he pushes HIS loves down your throats, he is unable to open his own mind to see what YOU might have to say about something. I listen to his show, and I've downloaded stuff he has recommended before condemning any of it, or actually accepting that it was good. Goober won't take the time of day to even bother listening to something I might recommend. This is the problem.

So i'd appreciate that you really look over what you're posting about and realize there is about NO comparisons to me and Goober. no.gif

Yeah and to sum it up, Goobs is a shameless old whore who's too worn out-looking to attract any tricks anymore, so will go to any lengths to get that attention he used to get...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 15 2007, 12:08 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 15 2007, 02:36 PM)

ohmy.gif

Absolutely straight face.

I found it a long time ago. Just most people know how much I can't stand these two "movies". So i had no reason to post. But your constant defense of them, mixed with unrealistic praise just sets me off. I mean... most people would be embarrassed to admit their love of something this stupid. Maybe call it a guilty pleasure or something, but you actually seem convinced that the rest of us are MISSING something by not being fascinated by muppets and CG shit combined with WEAK stories that are either OLD (LOTR), or ripped off from another creator (Star Wars).

I understand opinions and how everyone is entitled to them, but when you post with this attitude that how you see it is THE way to see it... then I have to finally jump in.

Oh... that and the fact that I read posts and threads that my friends are involved in too. tongue.gif Cuz even if i don't agree with something, I like to see what my friends are up to. I understand that YOU are above that though. moon.gif

Bye. Go watch your dumb movies another thousand times. Maybe I'll agree with you in fifty years. tongue.gif

I guess you're right. I mean, they hardly match the artistry of say COMIC BOOKS. sarcasm.gif