Jon and Vangelis

Finbar

My friend Ares is a huge Vangelis fan. He used to bring Nucleogenesis Part Two to school and play it for everybody, and he got a whole little mini-following for that song around the high school. He did the morning announcements and would sometimes play it in the morning as kids arrived early for school. And he would take it into the student council office at lunch and turn off whatever was being played and play that song, and we would all dance to it. (We were huge dorks.)

And I am a huge Yes fan.

Imagine our delight when we found out the connection between the two artists: "Jon and Vangelis." Whenever I buy my first album by that side project, I plan to show Ares and see what he thinks. Where should I start?

• Like 1

Go for the early stuff like "Friends Of Mr. Cairo", "Private Collections" and "Short Stories". Or the late '80's compilation "Best of", which has State of Independence, I'll Find My Way Home and I Hear You Now.

Avoid 1994's Page Of Life, an awful mish-mash of leftover ABWH2 tracks, new-age noodlings and cheese, lots of cheese. A great track from the ABWH2 sessions, Is It Love is covered in so much AOR frosting it has been rendered unlistenable.

Do not expect the Vangelis of Blade Runner, more Chariots Of Fire, but blander.

QUOTE (Echnaton @ Mar 22 2007, 09:56 AM)
I no great fan of Best Of-Compilations but if you want a record to start with go for the Best Of which includes most of the essential work to get into the sound of J&V...

I'd sooner download music before I buy a best of, 'cause I think it amounts to the same thing, hearing the songs out of context. Only one's free.

Only I'm not gonna download music 'cause I'm scared of LimeWire spyware and all that crap.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 22 2007, 02:43 PM)
Vangelis almost joined Yes after Rick Wakeman left the first time. Obviously, Patrick Moraz joined instead.

And damn good thing he did!

http://www.rogerdean.com/upclose/relayer.jpg

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Wow, I haven't listened to Jon and Vangelis in a LOOOOONG time. I might even have some of their stuff on cassette somewhere around here. unsure.gif

I do remember it being very patchy stuff, like when it worked it was really good, but when it didn't it was really bad. I'll see if I can dig some out and revisit it at some point to give a better opinion.

Let me take a moment here to say though that for Yes fans who have NOT heard Jon Anderson's first solo album Olias of Sunhillow (1976), it's AMAZING. Also, Vangelis produced some great electronic work as well like Spiral, Albedo 0.39 and Blade Runner to name a few...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 23 2007, 01:04 PM)
Wow, I haven't listened to Jon and Vangelis in a LOOOOONG time. I might even have some of their stuff on cassette somewhere around here. unsure.gif

I do remember it being very patchy stuff, like when it worked it was really good, but when it didn't it was really bad. I'll see if I can dig some out and revisit it at some point to give a better opinion.

Let me take a moment here to say though that for Yes fans who have NOT heard Jon Anderson's first solo album Olias of Sunhillow (1976), it's AMAZING. Also, Vangelis produced some great electronic work as well like Spiral, Albedo 0.39 and Blade Runner to name a few...

Olias is good, but it needs remastering. The vinyl sounds great. Song of Seven isn't bad either.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Mar 23 2007, 06:56 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 23 2007, 01:04 PM)
Wow, I haven't listened to Jon and Vangelis in a LOOOOONG time.  I might even have some of their stuff on cassette somewhere around here. unsure.gif

I do remember it being very patchy stuff, like when it worked it was really good, but when it didn't it was really bad.  I'll see if I can dig some out and revisit it at some point to give a better opinion.

Let me take a moment here to say though that for Yes fans who have NOT heard Jon Anderson's first solo album Olias of Sunhillow (1976), it's AMAZING.  Also, Vangelis produced some great electronic work as well like Spiral, Albedo 0.39 and Blade Runner to name a few...

Olias is good, but it needs remastering. The vinyl sounds great. Song of Seven isn't bad either.

I have the original Japanese import cd of Olias (before it was available in the U.S. domestically) and it sounds pretty damn great to me...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 23 2007, 08:04 AM)

That's what I think about Rick Wakeman's The Six Wives of Henry VIII. And I paid too much for it too. Like, $30 online, then I saw it for $6 at Sam's a week after it arrived.

I think the medley on Yessongs, both the DVD and album, trims the fat and gives you all the good progginess of the album. One of the few times you'll hear me praising a medley.