Buy multiple copies on release day?

cygnify

I inevitably end up giving Rush CDs/DVDs as gifts to some of my friends that are more casual Rush fans. It struck me that usually the best prices are on release day, so this time, I'm considering buying a few copies on May 1. Saves me a couple bucks in the long run and pumps up Rush's release day sales. Anyone else?

2.gif

QUOTE (cygnify @ Feb 27 2007, 11:43 AM)
I inevitably end up giving Rush CDs/DVDs as gifts to some of my friends that are more casual Rush fans. It struck me that usually the best prices are on release day, so this time, I'm considering buying a few copies on May 1. Saves me a couple bucks in the long run and pumps up Rush's release day sales. Anyone else?

2.gif

Where are you buying your CDs? They are as expensive as they will ever be on release day here.

I would buy extras if I knew some intelligent people to give them to. I don't know any intelligent people though so I will just buy one copy.

Best Buy and Circuit City always and sometimes Target have special prices for new releases for the first week after release. This is especially true for DVDs or boxes (which S&A may be available as.) Typically the new CDs are on special for $9.99 to $11.99 - the following week, the same CD will be $12.99 to $14.99. It's just a few bucks, but if you're going to buy 3 or 4 copies anyway it's like getting a freebie.

An example is the new Nine Inch Nails DVD on sale for $11.99 this week of it's release. It's list price is $19.99. Next week it will be $17.99 to $19.99. Best Buy has had similar promotions for all the Rush DVD releases (in fact I recall getting the R30 deluxe for a ridiculously low price...)

This is a national pricing policy for their stores (see the best buy or CC web sites) and should be available near you (Maryland?)

Geez, didn't mean to sound like a commercial smile.gif , but I'm surprised you weren't aware of that.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Feb 28 2007, 04:13 AM)
QUOTE (cygnify @ Feb 27 2007, 11:43 AM)
I inevitably end up giving Rush CDs/DVDs as gifts to some of my friends that are more casual Rush fans.  It struck me that usually the best prices are on release day, so this time, I'm considering buying a few copies on May 1.  Saves me a couple bucks in the long run and pumps up Rush's release day sales.  Anyone else?

2.gif

Where are you buying your CDs? They are as expensive as they will ever be on release day here.

I would buy extras if I knew some intelligent people to give them to. I don't know any intelligent people though so I will just buy one copy.

laugh.gif You just found one, and needy as well rofl3.gif 2.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 1 2007, 07:15 AM)
If it's released here as a cd/dvd box then I'm going to have to pay a lot of money for it. For 2.gif I'll do it but for anyone else I'd have to think about it

Are you in Japan? You could look at the positives, you get all those releases with the bonus tracks... (like Different Stages with Force Ten?)

QUOTE (cygnify @ Mar 1 2007, 10:53 PM)
If it's released here as a cd/dvd box then I'm going to have to pay a lot of money for it.  For  2.gif  I'll do it but for anyone else I'd have to think about it

Are you in Japan? You could look at the positives, you get all those releases with the bonus tracks... (like Different Stages with Force Ten?)

Yes I am. I've seen many Rush discs in the stores here but never any bonus tracks listed. I bought VT out here and nope, nothing, no extras. I saw Different Stages out here a couple of times and nope, nothing, no extras. The only 'extra' that I've seen was the EXIT...STAGE LEFT dvd that I bought from a Tower Records here about 5 years ago. I guess it was just a Japanese release (at that time)? Same tracks, etc.

QUOTE (cygnify @ Feb 27 2007, 04:29 PM)
Best Buy and Circuit City always and sometimes Target have special prices for new releases for the first week after release. This is especially true for DVDs or boxes (which S&A may be available as.) Typically the new CDs are on special for $9.99 to $11.99 - the following week, the same CD will be $12.99 to $14.99. It's just a few bucks, but if you're going to buy 3 or 4 copies anyway it's like getting a freebie.

An example is the new Nine Inch Nails DVD on sale for $11.99 this week of it's release. It's list price is $19.99. Next week it will be $17.99 to $19.99. Best Buy has had similar promotions for all the Rush DVD releases (in fact I recall getting the R30 deluxe for a ridiculously low price...)

This is a national pricing policy for their stores (see the best buy or CC web sites) and should be available near you (Maryland?)

Geez, didn't mean to sound like a commercial smile.gif , but I'm surprised you weren't aware of that.

Where do you live?? Most new releases here go for $18-$22. If you wanted to buy fly by night or another classic you might get it for $11 or $12 but not a new release. Unless you wait a few weeks and get a second hand one.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Mar 1 2007, 09:54 AM)
Where do you live?? Most new releases here go for $18-$22. If you wanted to buy fly by night or another classic you might get it for $11 or $12 but not a new release. Unless you wait a few weeks and get a second hand one.

In the United States. Check Bestbuy.com or CircuitCity.com or even Amazon.com. For the retail stores, these prices are standard (web & retail) across the country. New releases are always on special the week of release - typically between $9.99 and $11.99 after which they go up.

$18 to $22 is outrageous. Are you in a very rural area? If so, I'd suggest pre-ordering online from one of the above. If you want a couple other discs, shipping is sometimes free.

QUOTE (cygnify @ Mar 1 2007, 11:09 AM)
Where do you live??  Most new releases here go for $18-$22.  If you wanted to buy fly by night or another classic you might get it for $11 or $12 but not a new release.  Unless you wait a few weeks and get a second hand one.

In the United States. Check Bestbuy.com or CircuitCity.com or even Amazon.com. For the retail stores, these prices are standard (web & retail) across the country. New releases are always on special the week of release - typically between $9.99 and $11.99 after which they go up.

$18 to $22 is outrageous. Are you in a very rural area? If so, I'd suggest pre-ordering online from one of the above. If you want a couple other discs, shipping is sometimes free.

I just checked and your right.

I think vapour trails was the last cd I bought and I dont remember what I paid for it, but I was in the mall last week and so I thought I would check the record store to see if they had any info about the new record(they didn't). Everything on the new release rack was $18.99-$22.99. I just assumed that this is how much the cost had inflated.

QUOTE (cygnify @ Mar 1 2007, 10:09 AM)
Where do you live??  Most new releases here go for $18-$22.  If you wanted to buy fly by night or another classic you might get it for $11 or $12 but not a new release.  Unless you wait a few weeks and get a second hand one.

This is true. I rarely spend more than $11 for a new release IF you get it the week it comes out...and often for $9.99! That's the key...not waiting.

1022.gif

Might be a little higher with the bonus DVD, but not much. Last year's Maiden album had a DVD too. Seemed that was normally priced.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 1 2007, 01:14 PM)

This is true. I rarely spend more than $11 for a new release IF you get it the week it comes out...and often for $9.99! That's the key...not waiting.

1022.gif

Might be a little higher with the bonus DVD, but not much. Last year's Maiden album had a DVD too. Seemed that was normally priced.

That's why I suggested buying multiple copies - if you can afford it and wanted to give some as gifts later. I always end up buying CDs for friend's birthdays, Christmas, etc. A more casual fan might not have the new disc yet and at release time is the way to get them cheaper (and boost Rush's opening day sales figures! smile.gif )

If the Rush release has the making of DVD (as indicated by Alex) I would expect the double disc set to be no more than $14.99 the week of release.

I recall the R30 deluxe edition DVDs were more than 50% off the list price for that first week at BB.

QUOTE (cygnify @ Mar 1 2007, 01:33 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 1 2007, 01:14 PM)

This is true.  I rarely spend more than $11 for a new release IF you get it the week it comes out...and often for $9.99!  That's the key...not waiting.

1022.gif

Might be a little higher with the bonus DVD, but not much.  Last year's Maiden album had a DVD too.  Seemed that was normally priced.

That's why I suggested buying multiple copies - if you can afford it and wanted to give some as gifts later. I always end up buying CDs for friend's birthdays, Christmas, etc. A more casual fan might not have the new disc yet and at release time is the way to get them cheaper (and boost Rush's opening day sales figures! smile.gif )

True. You're unlikely to get it new from a store cheaper than that first week, so it's definitely worth it to buy multiples sooner than later. Perfect logic.

(Or just dub it and give your friends a cheap-ass copy). biggrin.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 1 2007, 06:14 AM)
If it's released here as a cd/dvd box then I'm going to have to pay a lot of money for it.  For  2.gif  I'll do it but for anyone else I'd have to think about it

Yes I am. I've seen many Rush discs in the stores here but never any bonus tracks listed. I bought VT out here and nope, nothing, no extras. I saw Different Stages out here a couple of times and nope, nothing, no extras. The only 'extra' that I've seen was the EXIT...STAGE LEFT dvd that I bought from a Tower Records here about 5 years ago. I guess it was just a Japanese release (at that time)? Same tracks, etc.

Hey JB!!

I am addicted to Japanese pressings!

I usually buy two Japanese pressings of each new Rush release. One to open and play. The other one I keep sealed. These pressing go out of print very fast!

The Japanese pressing of "Different Stages" does have a bonus track!! "FORCE TEN!"

Also the first Japanese pressing of "Different Stages" has bigger packaging and comes with a "Test For Echo" mini tour book as well as a mini "A Farewell To Kings" tour book! The thing is SWEET!!!!

The Japanese version of "Feedback" is housed in a larger cardboard sleeve than the UK and US versions. All around better quality too. Sound quality is another positive for the Japanese pressing. I guess you need a high end audiophile stereo system to tell. But seriously I can tell. Japanese pressing have a bit more thump in them. The quality blows away the American pressing.

Also "The Spirit Of Radio: Rush: Greatest Hits" Japanese pressing comes with a big booklet in an extra large jewel case and a bonus cd containing two bonus tracks. Don't worry folks they are repeat tracks. You all have them. One track I think is "Passage" live. Can't think of the other track. I'm at work right now.

My fingers have been crossed for many years for Japan to reissue and remaster the RUSH stuff again and put them into the mini cardboard lp sleeves like they do with a plethora of other artist's music. These pressings are high end collectibles with a sweet ass obi strip. Japan shops even make promo boxes to store your cardboard sleeves in. I can only imagine Japan doing the Mercury Rush records in lp sleeves and then you can put them in a "2112" art work promo box.

Hey I can dream can't I?

2.gif RULES!!

Earl "Obi" Wan Ben Kenobi

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Mar 2 2007, 07:31 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 1 2007, 06:14 AM)

Hey JB!!

I am addicted to Japanese pressings!

I usually buy two Japanese pressings of each new Rush release. One to open and play. The other one I keep sealed. These pressing go out of print very fast!

The Japanese pressing of "Different Stages" does have a bonus track!! "FORCE TEN!"

Also the first Japanese pressing of "Different Stages" has bigger packaging and comes with a "Test For Echo" mini tour book as well as a mini "A Farewell To Kings" tour book! The thing is SWEET!!!!

The Japanese version of "Feedback" is housed in a larger cardboard sleeve than the UK and US versions. All around better quality too. Sound quality is another positive for the Japanese pressing. I guess you need a high end audiophile stereo system to tell. But seriously I can tell. Japanese pressing have a bit more thump in them. The quality blows away the American pressing.

Also "The Spirit Of Radio: Rush: Greatest Hits" Japanese pressing comes with a big booklet in an extra large jewel case and a bonus cd containing two bonus tracks. Don't worry folks they are repeat tracks. You all have them. One track I think is "Passage" live. Can't think of the other track. I'm at work right now.

My fingers have been crossed for many years for Japan to reissue and remaster the RUSH stuff again and put them into the mini cardboard lp sleeves like they do with a plethora of other artist's music. These pressings are high end collectibles with a sweet ass obi strip. Japan shops even make promo boxes to store your cardboard sleeves in. I can only imagine Japan doing the Mercury Rush records in lp sleeves and then you can put them in a "2112" art work promo box.

Hey I can dream can't I?

2.gif RULES!!

Earl "Obi" Wan Ben Kenobi

All I can say is that I've been here for more than 5 years, went to many record shops here and NEVER saw these things of which you speak. I've been to the mega stores like Tower Records out here (which are often 3 or more stories high) and still ZIP. That's good you have them though.

Dude!

That is crazy!! I can't believe that you could not find those over there.

They must go out of print really fast. I can only imagine that when "Different Stages" came out over there maybe Tower only got a few in of the limited runs.

If you want to open up the wallet I am sure you can find one on eBay.

Those mini tour books inside are the real deal. I mean they fit in the palm of your hand but all the photos and stuff are just like the real authentic ones!!

Everything has a price!!

RUSH ON!!

Archived