How were you first introduced to Rush?

furie

I heard Rush for the very first time on on organised Hardrock Day in 1979.

You could watch bands on a large fims screen, could buy stuff and there were stands of fan-clubs etc.

I was talking with some people, with my back to the screen, and suddenly I heard a voice, so special, and I was as struck by lightning, I turned around and saw on that large screen Geddy walking around with that long hair, and a long white blouse and that voice!! I couldn't say anything anymore just listen and look and the song... Closer to the heart. I became a member of the fan-club because I wanted to know all about these guys!

Since then I am addicted, and had the honour to meet the guys in 1983!

So that's my story.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And... Welcome furie!! I don't know if I've properly done that yet. trink39.gif

I was first introduced to Rush when I was 8-9 yrs. old, I think '91-'93, my father started listening to them. He listened to them a lot, so I was influenced by that music quite early, even though it's in the latest years my enthusiasm for Rush has increased. It was when i finished school I really started listening to them, so I've been doing that for about 2 years now. I got my first bass 6 months ago, and I play some Rush songs now, so they're my greatest musical inspiration. biggrin.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (DoubleAgent420 @ Nov 27 2004, 10:30 PM)
Hello to all! I'm new to this board, this seems like a good topic to start with. I was introduced to Rush by my drum teacher. (I'm a drummer, Neil Peart is my idol!) He wanted me to learn "Tom Sawyer" on the drums and told me to buy the CD "Moving Pictures". I bought it, but I was so young that I couldn't really appreciate anything but "Tom Sawyer" and "YYZ". I wasn't into them much at all. Several years later, my drum teacher wanted me to learn "Freeze" off of Rush's new CD (at the time) "Vapor Trails". I picked that up and really got into several of the songs on it. I started to listen to "Moving Pictures" a little more and then at some point picked up "Hemispheres" to learn "La Villa Strangiato" on drums (that was hard to do, might I add). That did it for me. I started to get really into them and now they're my favorite band ever. I own all 17 studio albums and a couple of live albums. Rush has also inspired me very much as a musician, my music (I picked up guitar last spring) has become more difficult and intricate. My drumming is constantly improving, and it all started with trying to learn "Tom Sawyer". Rush is simply an amazing band and a very important part of my life.

Awesome!!! Welcome to the board. I think you've stumbled on the right place!

goodpost.gif

I saw Distant Early Warning on MTV when I was about 9...in the summer of 1984. I loved the drumming! My mom got me Grace Under Pressure that year for Christmas and only listened to three songs on it...D.E.W., Afterimage and Body Electric. You know how kids are...they seem to only listen to the first few tunes and play them like hell over and over, but it was a serious building block for me learning how to play drums.

Saw Big Money the following year, but sort of lost interest in the band for a few years...saw Marathon from Show Of Hands on MTV in 1989 in the 8th grade, and went and got the album (2 record set) After Presto came out late that year, I was a dyed in the wool fan. Bought nothing but Rush on vinyl because Rush's packaging wasn't something you wanted on tape and not everyone had CD players back then. I'd say Losing It became my fav during that time because of the electric violin and the drumming on that from Signals.

Listening to Rush carried me through the late 80's hair band and sappy clickety clack music of that time until Nirvana came along and rescued us all! But still kept into the Rush!

Been listening ever since and have every Rush album except Caress Of Steel.

On that note, I will have to say that COS was my first Rush album! After hearing ATWAS at a friends, I went to the record store looking for it, but they were all out. Since Bastille Day was the greatest rocker ever, I settled for COS, or was that because that was the only Rush album they had confused13.gif Anyway , that was around 1976 or 77. and I was 14 or 15ys old.

When I was 13 I was just starting to listen to rock music...I bought this cassette tape from K-Tel(remember them?). It was a compilation tape of Canadian bands and I'm pretty sure it was called "Electric North"...had a picture of an ice cube with headphones on the cover...anyways the last song on it was New World Man and it rocked my world....soon afterwards I listened to MP and then the rest of Signals..over the years I discovered different kinds of music and sort of drifted away from Rush...i Still liked Rush but was into other bands for awhile..then an old girlfriend got me into classic rock and discovered some more older Rush...I didn't become a die hard huge fan until 2002 when a co-worker (a major fan) convinced me to tag along with him and his buddies to the VT tour...when I saw them live, and that was it....I became A Rushian! 1022.gif 2.gif

Very cool ?...Me it was funny..1976....My friend from down stairs in the building we lived in at the time..He was a KISS knuckle head rofl3.gif He ask me if i wanted to go to the concert with him...We were 12 years old at the time... 2.gif OPENNED UP!!! Best decision i ever made...We"re still friends ...COOL HUH!!

My oldest sister had MP on vinyl and I got first copy on cassette in 1984. However, I was a casual fan and liked AFtK(I got on cassette legitimately in May of 1988), MP(upgraded in August of 1988) and had heard half of ATWaS.

Then in May of 1990, I heard ESL on radio and taped half of the album off the radio YYZ, APtB, CttH, Beneath, JL, Broon's, The Trees and Xanadu.

Then, a month later in June of 1990 I got in touch with my old friend Jason Keith whom was a Rush fanatic and had not spoken to since falling out at end of 5th grade in 1987. He asked me if I was a New Kids fans I was like "are you f**king blind man they suck" and I was like do you and he replied with "f**k you". Then I told him I was a Floydian and he asked me if I liked Rush and I said they were OK and he said "dude, Rush are the greatest f**king band on the planet" and cos of him I pulled my copies of AFtK and MP from the vaults and re-listened and then got PWaves and then subsequently every album following that and would update catalog once a new album came out. I am trying to locate the dude as I haven't seen or talked to him since he moved back to Tennessee in August of 1990.

When I first heard their debut album in 1974 I was addicted right from the start. Need I say more..... 2.gif applaudit.gif

My first "exposure" to 2.gif was in 1981 around the time that MOVING PICTURES was released. I had an English girlfriend at the time who wanted me to listen to something "huge" and I listened to THE SPIRIT OF RADIO. I was completely blown away by the music and the way the guitar bass and drums were all playing the same melody lines I quickly got into PERMANENT WAVES and have been a huge fan ever since 2.gif

I first got into 2.gif when my best friend who lives over the Atlantic from me in the USA (now IN, but was GA at the time) played me extracts from Live In Rio.

The first song which made me sit up and listen that I heard was YYZ. trink39.gif

In like 1980 I used to sleep with the radio on......one night I heard this song in my sleep. I woke up the next morning wondering if I dreamed it or if it was real. I did not remember much....but I did remember something about "working man". Took me a while to figure it out......but in the mean time......I heard this song(I had heard before) called 2112...and then I heard Freewill.......then I heard Tom Sawyer. By 81.....I figured out who was Rush was....and also...who played the mystery song.....and then it was done. Rush Freak For Life

Oh yeah....this reminded of the fact I was getting ready to go to school.....and my mother had already left for work....I had 2112 CRANKED.....playing air guitar and mom had came back home cause she forgot something. This was the 1st time my speakers were taken away from me........

Boy.....she sure showed me...OH MOMMY.....I AM STILL LISTENING TO RUSH>>>>>>>AND REALLY LOUD TOO!!!! 1022.gif

By my best friend, who heard about them from our last year's World Geography teacher. Originally, I told her they sucked, and kept that attitude for roughly a year. I don't know why, as at that point, I hadn't even really listened to them. I was just a pissed off teenager. tongue.gif

So I really "discovered" them a few months ago. Still from my best friend, haha. And I love them. Go Rush. smile.gif

I remember my had these huge old magnetic tapes.. One of them had 'Moving Pictures' on Side A and 'Signals' on Side B recorded. I remember I enjoyed these albums very much. Especially the beginning of 'Side B': ta-da-da, ta-da-da, ta-da-da, ta-da-da.. wink.gif I was only like 5-7 years old at that time (around 89-91).

Around 95-96 we bought the 'Counterparts' cassette.. AFtK followed and I got addicted smile.gif

My dad an his sister even called me 'Rushist' sometimes 'cause of my addiction smile.gif

heard them in freshman year in high school, like them. continued to hear their music thru school and always liked them. when permanent waves came out i really got into them and started going back and getting all of their albums. by the time moving pictures came out, they were my fav band by then and have been hardcore ever since.

QUOTE (kooma @ Feb 2 2006, 02:32 AM)
When I first heard their debut album in 1974 I was addicted right from the start. Need I say more..... 2.gif  applaudit.gif

That's me too! Happenstance (being in the right house at the right time) has led to me to realize that I've listened to everything they've ever done, but all in order, and for the past 30+ years. WOW, what a ride... Keep it up boys! 2.gif

I can honestly say that I have no recollection whatsoever about my first experience with Rush. I can remember the point at which I realized I hadn't heard a Rush song I didn't like. I can remember the point at which I got 2112 and got into them a lot. I can remember the point at which I decided they were my favorite band. I can remember my first show. I remember a lot of the highlights of my life experience with the band, but the first time I heard a Rush song? Nope. No memory of it. By the time I got Chronicles, I knew a few of the songs on it already, so I apparently had enough prior experience with them.

Archived