Windows Vista

Tom Sawyer

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just bought a Toshiba A215-S7437 with Vista last week.

I don't think it's so bad.

I had problem was loading Roxio 7. I kept getting errors and I kept trying to force feed the install, the battle ensued, I eventually won... ?? I don't know how, I don't know why, I don't really care, it works. There is a DVD burner program on this PC already, I just like Roxio.

I had XP and it came with a Vista upgrade disc. I used it. Vista was pretty and nice and better then XP, except its so much slower. So after Vista crashed and I lost all my files, it crashed while I was backing up, I reinstalled XP and havent felt the need to get back to the WOW of Vista.

Yes its time to get a Mac. Leopard is so impressive compared to Vista.

I just used Vista to open the PDF files sent fro my tickets for the show. I had to open the files with Adobe 8 which my Vista machine has, but my XP machine doesn't. The other machine is a re-built that I just got so it probably needs all kinds of updates I haven't downloaded and installed yet.

QUOTE (rushringleader @ Feb 22 2008, 03:15 PM)
I had XP and it came with a Vista upgrade disc. I used it. Vista was pretty and nice and better then XP, except its so much slower. So after Vista crashed and I lost all my files, it crashed while I was backing up, I reinstalled XP and havent felt the need to get back to the WOW of Vista.

Yes its time to get a Mac. Leopard is so impressive compared to Vista.

I like XP and I like Leopard, and I HATE Vista. Also, Office 2007/8 is rather annoying.

QUOTE (rushringleader @ Mar 20 2008, 06:47 PM)
Vista service pack one is out. Go get it to improve Pista.

There is a warning about installing this! I was told not to yet!

QUOTE (owlswing @ Mar 20 2008, 07:19 PM)

Link? I've been installing everything I can get I'm liking more and more every time I surf.

I'm not minding it so much thus far. I've had a few small problems but after a quick search found a viable workaround. It seems to me that everything that's being said about Vista was being said about XP when it first came out, but now it seems that the majority opinion is that XP is the best OS ever.

QUOTE (owlswing @ Mar 20 2008, 07:19 PM)

Where? I've installed all updates..........working great here.

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Aug 4 2008, 05:39 PM)
I just got a laptop today.

Unfortunatly It has vista, and a whole bunch of Microsoft programs i need so i can't switch it.

I'll say what i think of it after.

You really should have gotten a Mac, hope you have good luck with Vista, I know I didn't.

QUOTE (rushringleader @ Aug 4 2008, 04:50 PM)

Unfortunatly It has vista, and a whole bunch of Microsoft programs i need so i can't switch it.

You really should have gotten a Mac, hope you have good luck with Vista, I know I didn't.

So far, i don't mind it.

But i've only been setting it up.

And as for macs, i really don't like them, i had them in elementary school, and never liked them.

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Aug 4 2008, 11:03 PM)
QUOTE (rushringleader @ Aug 4 2008, 04:50 PM)

So far, i don't mind it.

But i've only been setting it up.

And as for macs, i really don't like them, i had them in elementary school, and never liked them.

They have come a really long way since then. I was the same way.

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Aug 5 2008, 04:44 PM)
So far vista isn't that bad.
Except for the fact the media player is shit. and it took me 7+ hours to get my music from my mp3 to the computer properly.

Really? I didn't have that problem. I saved all my MP3s from my old computer on a USB drive and they transferred to this one with no trouble at all.

Strangely enough I haven't had any problems with Vista since I don't trust MS enough to apply the stupid updates! After hearing stories of people's machines not booting up and losing everything at random points in time I have NEVER turned on Windows Vista update.

My problem is more with HP. The HP Pavilion laptops have all sorts of problems. Three weeks ago I had a patch downloaded for BIOS update that I didn't click through since Vista usually allows you to manually approves all updates that run. After booting up the damn thing never restarted got stuck in a loop. Called HP tech support they say its a video card problem. Send it into their facility for repair, they change the video card and return it within a week.

Get the laptop back, seems like everything is fine. But now the wireless starts to act up. I'm getting PC modem like speeds when I should be getting faster traffic on a cable modem. Turns out the HP Pavilion DV6000 models have a stupid defect with their wireless adapters that stops working normally after a few months. HP and the adapters manufacturer Broadcom knows about this but they won't tell customers or do a recall. Its more or less try and find out sort of thing. I've had this laptop for 14 months and it was working fine until some tech at HP probably messed with the adapter when they we're installing the new video card. Now, I hear you have to send in the unit to get a brand new motherboard so that the wireless will work properly. That means wiping the entire hard drive and starting from scratch. Good god this is crazy.

I'm deciding to dump this retarded laptop and getting a Dell instead. I bought HP products for a number of years including a desktop for about 2 years before it crapped out. But now, forget them they can go suck eggs for all I care.

Well, I bought a Sony Viao back in May, and it has Vista on it. It was taking me forever to get used to Vista, as I rarely use the laptop (mostly while traveling), so I decided to upgrade my desktop from XP Pro SP3 to Vista Business Edition SP1 to force myself onto the new OS...

Well, my motherboard, video card, etc. are four years old, so there are some hardware devices that have no Vista Drivers... the midi connection, for one, is not supported, neither is the TV Tuner on the ATI Radeon A-I-W card. Nice. Plus, some of the programs I had, were not Vista compatible, so I had to upgrade those. The applications that I had bundled with my All In One Printer, are not Vista compatible, and HP does not offer an updated version...

Also, Vista seems to use more resources than XP Pro did... but, I think some of resource hogging going on is attributed to the latest Version of Zonealarm Internet Security Suite I am running. My CPU usage (Pentium 4 3.0GHZ Socket 478) at times will be 100% and stay there for a good while... frustrating!

Also, I now have occassional program lockups (internet explorer, as well as others)... this occurs daily... sometimes, you can't even close the programs with task manager - you are forced to reboot after the program quits responding... it's a lot of fun, I tell you!

FYI, I did do a clean Vista install, and keep it up-to-date with all the hotfixes / Windows updates. And no, I do not have any viruses, worms, malware, etc. wink.gif My home network hardware firewall is set super tight, as well as the software firewall, and I run an updated anti-virus always.

And even my laptop has issues... after a certain point with the updates awhile back, I no longer have any sound... cannot get this fixed either! I have tried reloading the drivers, but to no avail... fun!

Needless to say, I am not impressed with Vista... but suffering through it... hopefully things will be fixed soon.

I still have my hard drive with XP Pro, which I switch to and use for certain applications, like recording guitar tracks through the computer. I mainly upgraded, again, to get more familiar with Vista, and to not be two O/S's behind, once Windows 7 comes along... by then, I will upgrade my hardware to a newer 64 bit machine.

QUOTE (rushbass @ Nov 23 2008, 04:50 PM)
Well, I bought a Sony Viao back in May, and it has Vista on it. It was taking me forever to get used to Vista, as I rarely use the laptop (mostly while traveling), so I decided to upgrade my desktop from XP Pro SP3 to Vista Business Edition SP1 to force myself onto the new OS...

Well, my motherboard, video card, etc. are four years old, so there are some hardware devices that have no Vista Drivers... the midi connection, for one, is not supported, neither is the TV Tuner on the ATI Radeon A-I-W card. Nice. Plus, some of the programs I had, were not Vista compatible, so I had to upgrade those. The applications that I had bundled with my All In One Printer, are not Vista compatible, and HP does not offer an updated version...

Also, Vista seems to use more resources than XP Pro did... but, I think some of resource hogging going on is attributed to the latest Version of Zonealarm Internet Security Suite I am running. My CPU usage (Pentium 4 3.0GHZ Socket 478) at times will be 100% and stay there for a good while... frustrating!

Also, I now have occassional program lockups (internet explorer, as well as others)... this occurs daily... sometimes, you can't even close the programs with task manager - you are forced to reboot after the program quits responding... it's a lot of fun, I tell you!

FYI, I did do a clean Vista install, and keep it up-to-date with all the hotfixes / Windows updates. And no, I do not have any viruses, worms, malware, etc. wink.gif My home network hardware firewall is set super tight, as well as the software firewall, and I run an updated anti-virus always.

And even my laptop has issues... after a certain point with the updates awhile back, I no longer have any sound... cannot get this fixed either! I have tried reloading the drivers, but to no avail... fun!

Needless to say, I am not impressed with Vista... but suffering through it... hopefully things will be fixed soon.

I still have my hard drive with XP Pro, which I switch to and use for certain applications, like recording guitar tracks through the computer. I mainly upgraded, again, to get more familiar with Vista, and to not be two O/S's behind, once Windows 7 comes along... by then, I will upgrade my hardware to a newer 64 bit machine.

See, your first mistake was thinking Vista was an upgrade from XP. Vista is a bag of hurt. If Windows 7 doesn't match up with Snow Leopard, then Microsoft is in more trouble then it already is.

Everyone is after Microsoft at this point, even Google. This week Google said that they are going to start talking to OEMs to include Chrome with computers once it is out of beta in January. This is going to force Microsoft to make a good IE because right now, its only popular because of the apathetic user base.

Archived