Rocky Balboa

vital signz

I hear this is not that bad....Ebert and Roeper both liked it....previews seem rather interesting and Stallone seems humble with the role and emotional....kinda reminiscent of Rocky instead of cocky in later movies....I might have to check this out. It started yesterday here in Ohio

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Antonio Tarver is the bad guy/opponent. The bad news for the Stalone was Tarver got his ass kicked severely by Bernard Hopkins in the summer so I think that took a bit of the gloss off Antonio before release date, but I suppose it was long enough ago that it doesn't matter. And most Rocky fans are not hardcore boxing fanatics anyway so they probably don't even know who Tarver is. They probably think he's just an unknown actor or someone off the contender instead of being World champion boxer and Roy Jones Jnr's nemesis...

I'll probably see it. I like the series, even though it's sometimes cliche, sometimes unrealistic, and sometimes just a long MTV video.

There's nothing like the first one; it was so artfully made. It totally deserved its Best Picture win that year, and none of the others deserved (or received) even a nomination. Hopefully the new one can recapture some of the first film's aestetic beauty.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Dec 25 2006, 09:36 AM)
I saw this the other day. I was really surprised that it was GOOD. yes.gif

What's antonio Tarver like as an actor? I heard he wasn't able to perform choreographed action sequences so they just went at it more or less for real and Stalone said that a lot of his knock downs were real ones and he felt he was gonna die in there at one point... (probably just Hollywood hype)...

eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 26 2006, 02:28 AM)
I saw this the other day.  I was really surprised that it was GOOD.  yes.gif

What's antonio Tarver like as an actor? I heard he wasn't able to perform choreographed action sequences so they just went at it more or less for real and Stalone said that a lot of his knock downs were real ones and he felt he was gonna die in there at one point... (probably just Hollywood hype)...

eyesre4.gif

He didn't embarass himself like Tommy Morrison did in Rocky 5. That's good enough for me.

Also, as fun as Rocky 3 was for me, those boxing scenes were a joke.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Dec 25 2006, 02:46 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 26 2006, 02:28 AM)
I saw this the other day.  I was really surprised that it was GOOD.  yes.gif

eyesre4.gif

He didn't embarass himself like Tommy Morrison did in Rocky 5. That's good enough for me.

Also, as fun as Rocky 3 was for me, those boxing scenes were a joke.

Yeah if those fights had been real the ref would have stopped it after about 30 seconds...

But Mr T made that film though on his own...he don't hate balboa but he do pity the fool!!!

http://www.ateamshrine.co.uk/gallery/rocky1.jpg

"Hey, Woman. Hey, Woman! Listen here. Since your old man ain't got no heart, maybe you like to see a real man. I bet you stay up late every night dreamin' you had a real man, don't ya? I'll tell you what. Bring your pretty little self over to my apartment tonight, and I'll show you a real man. I want Balboa! I want Balboa! You hear that, Old Man? You tell Balboa to come here! Nobody can beat me! You tell him what I said! And he's NEXT! I'm gonna kill him! Nobody can stop me! You tell Balboa that! I'M COMING AFTER HIM! YOU TELL HIM!"

http://www.ateamshrine.co.uk/gallery/rocky4.jpg

"Get out of my face! I don't need no has-beens in my corner. And you better get that look off your face before I knock it off! What's the matter, Creed? You want some of this? Come on!"

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Dec 25 2006, 03:11 PM)
rofl3.gif
Too right. Mr. T was perfect. I just saw Rocky 3 2 days ago with family and friends. The bros and I were rattling off the script verbatim. No one seemed to think it was funny except us. Screw 'em eh? laugh.gif

yeah it cracks me up every time and it's right on the money, I don't know if you follow boxing but there's a guy called James Toney and he's just like Clubber Lang without the mohawk and chains...

http://www.braggingrightscorner.com/toneyweigh031706_cf.jpg

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39414000/jpg/_39414468_holyfieldwobbleap.jpg

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 26 2006, 05:20 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Dec 25 2006, 03:11 PM)
rofl3.gif
Too right.  Mr. T was perfect.  I just saw Rocky 3 2 days ago with family and friends.  The bros and I were rattling off the script verbatim.  No one seemed to think it was funny except us.  Screw 'em eh?  laugh.gif

yeah it cracks me up every time and it's right on the money, I don't know if you follow boxing but there's a guy called James Toney and he's just like Clubber Lang without the mohawk and chains...

http://www.braggingrightscorner.com/toneyweigh031706_cf.jpg

Holy shit. That guy looks like The Fantastic 4's The Thing!

Just saw it. AWESOME is all i have to say. He picked up with the seriousness that the original had. It had some humor, but it also made a lump in my throat that was just huge. I think the people who think Stallone can't act don't know what they are talking about. He was really good in this one. yes.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 25 2006, 09:59 PM)
Im going to see it this week, Im off for a whole week common001.gif

Stallone can act, when he wants to (ever see Copland?). Of course with outings like "Rhinestone" and some other klunkers, hard to take him seriously.

Yeah I saw Copland the other night in fact, pretty good...great cast too...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 25 2006, 10:00 PM)
Im going to see it this week, Im off for a whole week  common001.gif

Stallone can act, when he wants to (ever see Copland?).  Of course with outings like "Rhinestone" and some other klunkers, hard to take him seriously.

Yes - great film I thought, with very good cast.

Hello Everybody!

I went to see Rocky Balboa early Sunday evening; $8.50 to get in and $10.00 for Coke & popcorn = worth every penny and then some.

I've been a Rocky fan for 20 + years; having the series on VHS & on now on DVD, except for the 5th film...I think the weakest link in the chain.

For those of us who are Rocky fans, the music by Bill Conti, and the works of Vince DiCola from the 4th film, is just overwhelming powerful.

I'm not talking about "Gonna Fly Now", but "Going the Distance" is amongst the most special & sacred music in my life.

With that said, and with our beloved Toronto Trio in mind, if I had to choose my 3 favorite movies, it would be Caddyshack, Die Hard and Rocky being my all-time favorite.

Being the Christmas Holiday Season and the 14th without my Mom, knowing how much she loved these Rocky films, I did get small bites of emotion Sunday evening...thankful & grateful.

Take care my friends.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 25 2006, 10:00 PM)
Im going to see it this week, Im off for a whole week  common001.gif

Stallone can act, when he wants to (ever see Copland?).  Of course with outings like "Rhinestone" and some other klunkers, hard to take him seriously.

Copland is one of my all time faves. Totally love that movie. I was just telling CeeJ about that last night. She's never seen that yet. Maybe this week we'll get it. yes.gif

Right on! With this latest resurgence of Rocky.....maybe another three or four movies are in the works. Hypothetically, there could be a total of 10 Rocky movies, heck it could even get up to Rocky XXII. Sly is going to ca$h in on this bigtime. I already can see a spike in Rocky memorabilia and merchandise sales, everything from t-shirts to video games to thermoses. There is definitely another Rocky craze coming our way.

I would even say the band Survivor will reform and put out a few hits.