Alex Lifesons Rig

defrushfan01

I was watching the Radio City Music Hall show, and i was thinking to my self, where are the Mics on Lifesons cabs? does anybody know if hes going direct into his rack then going into the pa system or is he playing threw a rack into his amps? please let me know!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/DefRushFan/rush1.jpg

The Hughes and Kettners have mic level speaker simulated (modeled really) outputs. No need to mic them.

Same reason Geddy has no amps on stage, he plays through Palmer speaker simulators.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Dec 13 2006, 03:21 PM)
The Hughes and Kettners have mic level speaker simulated (modeled really) outputs. No need to mic them.

Same reason Geddy has no amps on stage, he plays through Palmer speaker simulators.

Ok, i knew geddys reason for not having any amps on stage, but i was too involved on watching the performance to notice that Alex didnt have any mics on his rig. i was like.. um where are the mics.. Thanks dude!

Edit: so if the AMPS have simulated outputs are the Cabs live then? or are they just props? b/c on one video i saw from the R30 tour he was getting feed back from the cabs...so the cabs must be live and the sound is sent threw the line outs to the pa..

Edited by defrushfan01

They are indeed live. I was in the 5th row in SD and the front row of Vegas and they were f***ing loud! In fact one of my complaints about Geddy not having amps on stage was that the overall on stage volume was lop sided. I was closer to Alex in SD and could not hear Neil's drums directly, whereas I was center stage in Vegas and could hear Neil's kit just over Alex (just barely).

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Dec 13 2006, 09:48 PM)
They are indeed live. I was in the 5th row in SD and the front row of Vegas and they were f***ing loud! In fact one of my complaints about Geddy not having amps on stage was that the overall on stage volume was lop sided. I was closer to Alex in SD and could not hear Neil's drums directly, whereas I was center stage in Vegas and could hear Neil's kit just over Alex (just barely).

Wow thats just crazy! I was looking at his sig amp on line earler today and they are so nice! If i sold everything i have (Guitar and Amp wise) i could afford the Amp and Cab, and i might have a guitar to play it threw. Now with his amp set up is that 2 sig amps and just 2 triamps?

I think his live rig for VT and R30 were Tri-Amps and Zenteras. The signature amps were shown at NAMM earlier this year, which generally means they are new for the year.

Alex has a miced cabinet in a sound proofed box. It's usually beneath or behind the stage. That cabinet can be cranked much louder than the stage cabinets so it drives the speakers more. I remember reading about it a year or so ago. It's a fairly common practice nowadays.

FYI his current stage setup is two H&K Triamp heads into four 4x12 cabinets and two H&K zenTera heads into two 4x12 cabinets.

The Alex Lifeson Signature head is identical to the Triamp with only a couple differences, purple vs. blue lighting and the tolex covering has a crocodile type grain.

Edited by _pete_

QUOTE (_pete_ @ Dec 14 2006, 10:04 PM)
Alex has a miced cabinet in a sound proofed box. It's usually beneath or behind the stage. That cabinet can be cranked much louder than the stage cabinets so it drives the speakers more. I remember reading about it a year or so ago. It's a fairly common practice nowadays.

FYI his current stage setup is two H&K Triamp heads into four 4x12 cabinets and two H&K zenTera heads into two 4x12 cabinets.
The Alex Lifeson Signature head is identical to the Triamp with only a couple differences, purple vs. blue lighting and the tolex covering has a crocodile type grain.

Thanks for setting the record straight, Pete. You beat me to posting this info also. Good job! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Jon @ Dec 23 2006, 04:55 PM)
Even sillier then, that Geddy's dryers have mics on them!

Well sure! We mic our dryer too! You get that warm, clean sound that way.

http://www.counterparts.us/images/20060623/crw_1235.jpg

QUOTE (_pete_ @ Dec 24 2006, 01:32 PM)

biggrin.gif

You guys need to come down south a bit so I can catch a show!

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Dec 24 2006, 02:20 PM)
QUOTE (_pete_ @ Dec 24 2006, 01:32 PM)

biggrin.gif

You guys need to come down south a bit so I can catch a show!

Where down south? The band is based in Nashville, Tennessee.

QUOTE (_pete_ @ Dec 24 2006, 05:32 PM)

Nice dryer. I knew my rig was missing something wink.gif .