Christmas specials

Slime

Here's my basic four categories of movies/shows/whatever that are generally called "Christmas specials". Whether an episode of a tv show or a movie, I think the four general categories are as follows.

1) Stone cold classics/essential Christmastime viewing - The top of the pile stuff. Shows or movies that have pretty much become synonymous WITH the holiday itself.

2) Stuff that is pretty darn good - Not necessarily a classic, but a show or movie that is still great, with just a few elements missing that keep it from becoming ingrained into the holiday itself

3) Forgettable specials - Nothing to have cardiac arrest from, but specials or shows that are so lame your life would not be affected if they disappeared from existence

4) Insults to the holiday - Christmas specials that are so bad you actually feel that the person making said work hates the holiday season and should change their name to Grinchy McScrooge.

Having said this, I'd like you TRFers to list your favourite holiday/Christmas (call it what you like) specials and put them into the above four categories. Either list them one at a time or compile a BIG list. You can even come up with your own categories if you feel that I've missed some ground. If you are currently celebrating some other holiday and you feel that a show or special deserves mentioning, by all means list it with the above. I'll get the festivities started.

1) Stone cold classic - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (1964)

2) Pretty good - A Muppet Christmas Carol

That's all I've got for now. The rest of you, fill in the rest of the list!

For the FIRST TIER:

A Christmas Story

Santa Claus is Comin' to Town

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

Frosty the Snowman

A Charlie Brown Christmas

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animated, original)

For the SECOND TIER:

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Scrooged

Die Hard

It's a Wonderful Life

A Christmas Carol (any version, I'm not particular)

Miracle on 34th Street (I like the 70s version with Sebastian Cabot, not the original, and not the 90s remake)

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 11 2006, 04:50 PM)
For the FIRST TIER:
A Christmas Story
Frosty the Snowman
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animated, original)

For the SECOND TIER:
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Scrooged
Die Hard
It's a Wonderful Life
A Christmas Carol (any version, I'm not particular)
Miracle on 34th Street (I like the 70s version with Sebastian Cabot, not the original, and not the 90s remake)

yes.gif

Top Tier

It's a Wonderful Life

Frosty

A Year without a Santa

Grinch cartoon

Christmas Vacation

Second Tier

Scrooged

A Muppet Christmas

Christmas Story

White Christmas

QUOTE (Batman @ Dec 11 2006, 03:06 PM)
Top Tier

It's a Wonderful Life
Frosty
A Year without a Santa
Grinch cartoon
Christmas Vacation

Second Tier

Scrooged
A Muppet Christmas
Christmas Story
White Christmas

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif trink39.gif

I've been kind of a scrooge this year so far, not having watched one Christmas special, and being annoyed that they're pre-empting regular programming.

The only X-mas thing I've watched this season and really enjoyed was Will Ferrell in Elf. What I like most about it is not that it's an enjoyable movie, but that I haven't seen it 9 quadrillion times.

Yes, A Christmas Story is a classic, but I've seen it way too many times...

"How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (animated) was on last night, followed by a half-hour "making of" segment. I already knew it was Boris Karloff's voice, and that Albert Hague (Mr. Shorofsky from "Fame") was the composer, but it was still a good special.

I've never seen the Jim Carey live action version of "The Grinch," but I know Geddy Lee is a big fan. Is it any good?

I've been kind of a scrooge this year so far, not having watched one Christmas special, and being annoyed that they're pre-empting regular programming.

The only X-mas thing I've watched this season and really enjoyed was Will Ferrell in Elf. What I like most about it is not that it's an enjoyable movie, but that I haven't seen it 9 quadrillion times.

Yes, A Christmas Story is a classic, but I've seen it way too many times...

i'm with ya there goober! except that i haven't watched ANY X mas specials...

i own elf, and christmas story, so those are available whenever we want to see them...

"How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (animated) was on last night, followed by a half-hour "making of" segment. I already knew it was Boris Karloff's voice, and that Albert Hague (Mr. Shorofsky from "Fame") was the composer, but it was still a good special.

I've never seen the Jim Carey live action version of "The Grinch," but I know Geddy Lee is a big fan. Is it any good?

i have both versions of this movie too.... the animated classic, and Jim carey's adaptaion. both are good... jim carey does a good job portraying the Grinch, but the animated classic is MY personal fav....