"Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" video

GeddyRulz

Alright, I know this one may not be as popular with y'all as "Charlie Brown Christmas," but it was always MY favorite Christmas special: "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town." It features Fred Astaire as the voice of the narrator and Mickey Rooney as the voice of Kris Kringle.

What makes this holiday special so... well, special? Two things: it explains the "origins" of Santa, his gift-giving ways, the flying reindeer, why he uses the chimney, why he leaves gifts in stockings, etc., AND the songs are great! Who can forget tunes like "Put One Foot in Front of the Other" and "It's a Difficult Responsibility"?

Burgermeister Meisterburger! The Winter Warlock, who turns kind when Santa gives him a choo-choo train! The beautiful red-haired Jessica, who becomes Mrs. Claus! I love this one; I've got it on VHS, and it's time to break it out and expose the kids to it.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 4 2006, 09:04 AM)
Alright, I know this one may not be as popular with y'all as "Charlie Brown Christmas," but it was always MY favorite Christmas special: "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town." It features Fred Astaire as the voice of the narrator and Mickey Rooney as the voice of Kris Kringle.

What makes this holiday special so... well, special? Two things: it explains the "origins" of Santa, his gift-giving ways, the flying reindeer, why he uses the chimney, why he leaves gifts in stockings, etc., AND the songs are great! Who can forget tunes like "Put One Foot in Front of the Other" and "It's a Difficult Responsibility"?

Burgermeister Meisterburger! The Winter Warlock, who turns kind when Santa gives him a choo-choo train! The beautiful red-haired Jessica, who becomes Mrs. Claus! I love this one; I've got it on VHS, and it's time to break it out and expose the kids to it.

wow funny i should read this while my daughter is watching it.

Yes, I plan on watching it. I haven't seen it in so long. I was just reading about it the TV guide that I have. It states that the "narrator" resembles Fred Astaire?

Which one is it that has the land of the misfit toys?

A classic...I never miss it.

I just got finished watching A Year Without a Santa Claus. I love Snow Mizer & Heat Mizer.

It makes my daughter mad when I sing & dance with them. laugh.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 4 2006, 06:28 PM)
Yes, I plan on watching it. I haven't seen it in so long. I was just reading about it the TV guide that I have. It states that the "narrator" resembles Fred Astaire?

The narrator is voiced by Fred Astaire, and kinda resembles him in his younger days.

Which one is it that has the land of the misfit toys?

Rudolph.

I collect all those Bass Rankin Jr specials SC is comin to town one of the best, The year without a Santa Claus(Mickey Rooney) is a good one also.

Always liked The LittleDrummer Boy but that faded from rotation on t.v.

Another obscure one that didn't catch on in popularity I have is Nestor The Long eared Christmas donkey,Narrator Roger Miller(King of the road) with Brenda Vaccaro. And Rudolph with Holly Jolly Christmas Burl Ives is still the best of the lot. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

It was on last night. That original Kringle family (man would I love to go by Jingle Kringle).

And what a little communist the Burgermeister Meisterburger was pffff.

http://www.teako170.com/shame1.gif

Edited by lerxt1990

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 6 2006, 05:31 PM)
It was on last night.  That original Kringle family (man would I love to go by Jingle Kringle).

Yeah, I caught it last night. I noticed that they cut Jessica's sappy song about "my world is beginning today..." Good choice for an edit; it's the weakest part of the show. (Or maybe it aired and I missed it somehow?)

Burgermeister a communist? I don't think so; he's more like a fascist dictator - which is fitting, since he's German.

As always, I loved watching the show; it takes me back to my youth. I dig watching the nuanced and sometimes silly movements of the characters, and I love the songs "Difficult Responsibility" and "Put One Foot in Front of the Other."

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 6 2006, 05:39 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 6 2006, 05:31 PM)
It was on last night.  That original Kringle family (man would I love to go by Jingle Kringle).

Yeah, I caught it last night. I noticed that they cut Jessica's sappy song about "my world is beginning today..." Good choice for an edit; it's the weakest part of the show. (Or maybe it aired and I missed it somehow?)

Burgermeister a communist? I don't think so; he's more like a fascist dictator - which is fitting, since he's German.

As always, I loved watching the show; it takes me back to my youth. I dig watching the nuanced and sometimes silly movements of the characters, and I love the songs "Difficult Responsibility" and "Put One Foot in Front of the Other."

I stand corrected! Yes - those little ditties really bring back the memories. When are the heat and cold misers on??? smile.gif

The beautiful red-haired Jessica, who becomes Mrs. Claus!

Um, dude, it's a puppet.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 6 2006, 06:24 PM)

Um, dude, it's a puppet.

I never let such little things stop my libido. We've got just as much chance with a puppet as we do with Pam Anderson, and I think we've all drooled over her.

A red-haired babe is a red-haired babe, whether animated or otherwise. You can't tell me Jessica Rabbit in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" isn't sexy! And the lack of REAL female body parts doesn't stand in the way of auto-eroticism. tongue.gif

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 7 2006, 09:22 AM)

Um, dude, it's a puppet.

I never let such little things stop my libido. We've got just as much chance with a puppet as we do with Pam Anderson.

A red-haired babe is a red-haired babe, whether animated or otherwise. You can't tell me Jessica Rabbit in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" isn't sexy! And the lack of REAL female body parts doesn't stand in the way of auto-eroticism. tongue.gif

Oooookay. I'm, uh, I'm gonna go stand over there now.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 7 2006, 08:24 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 7 2006, 09:22 AM)

Um, dude, it's a puppet.

I never let such little things stop my libido. We've got just as much chance with a puppet as we do with Pam Anderson.

Oooookay. I'm, uh, I'm gonna go stand over there now.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I thought she sang some sort of song, and wondered what happened to it. When I was younger, she reminded me of our elementary school librarian. In looking back, I don't know why.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 7 2006, 08:32 AM)
I thought she sang some sort of song, and wondered what happened to it.

Then it wasn't just me!

I thought maybe I was out of the room and missed it, but I guess not. She sang a sappy song about her real life just beginning - "my world is beginning today..." - now that she realized her life in Sombertown was empty, and she belonged with Kris. I guess ABC cut it out; a good decision.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 7 2006, 08:38 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 7 2006, 08:32 AM)
I thought she sang some sort of song, and wondered what happened to it.

Then it wasn't just me!

I thought maybe I was out of the room and missed it, but I guess not. She sang a sappy song about her real life just beginning - "my world is beginning today..." - now that she realized her life in Sombertown was empty, and she belonged with Kris. I guess ABC cut it out; a good decision.

I wish they didn't though. I was cleaning up the kitchen and was waiting for it to play. That's the part that reminded me of the librarian. Silly, yes, but I was just a youngin'.

For some reason I kept remember something that Ava Gardner said about Mickey while they were married and that was just how horny he always was. Hard to believe that the voice of Kringle was this same person. rofl3.gif

"Rudolph" and "Frosty" are on tonight (Friday).

"Rudolph" was created in 1964 using figurines and stop-motion animation, just as "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" was in 1970. "Frosty" is another Rankin-Bass production, but entirely animated. These are two of the holiday specials we all grew up with.

I'll be missing these this evening. John and I are going to Duke University's Baldwin Auditorium to hear Louis Bellson play the drums.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 8 2006, 06:10 AM)
"Rudolph" and "Frosty" are on tonight (Friday).

"Rudolph" was created in 1964 using figurines and stop-motion animation, just as "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" was in 1970. "Frosty" is another Rankin-Bass production, but entirely animated. These are two of the holiday specials we all grew up with.

applaudit.gif I love both of these! I'll have to watch, or record if I'm not here yes.gif

CT, have a GREAT time tonight! smile.gif

I love them ALL. I can practically recite the scripts. As I'm typing this, coincidentally, my daughter is home sick from school today and is watching Year Without A Santa Claus on VHS. I'll be hearing songs like I Believe In Santa Claus, Blue Christmas, and of course the Snow Miser and Heat Miser numbers.

Another Rankin Bass animated Christmas classic is Twas The Night Before Christmas. Doesn't anyone remember Kerplunk Kerplooey?? laugh.gif

----------------------

CT - enjoy Bellson you lucky shit. He's amazing!!

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 8 2006, 09:23 AM)
I'll be missing these this evening. John and I are going to Duke University's Baldwin Auditorium to hear Louis Bellson play the drums.

COOL!