What if the truly unthinkable happens?

treeduck

Will you be upset if Rush produce a stinker?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be upset if Rush produce a stinker?

• 1 You Say "ok ok, well I'm still going to see them live"
    • 2 You Say "The NEXT album will see them return to form!!"
    • 3 You dress up in a kimono and commit hari kari
    • 4 You say "f**k you Rushgoober!!! You did this!!"
    • 5 You argue on the board furiously about George Bush
    • 6 You listen to the album over and over saying I love it
    • 7 You run outside and find a graveyard and bury the CD
    • 8 You run to the mirror and kiss your reflection in tears
    • 9 You refuse to believe it's real and try to wake up
    • 10 You shout to the world you're goin to take up accordion

I chose option one. (though I would be tempted to blame RushGoober, but for no particular reason. It just seems like the right thing to do.)

I HAVE TO SEE THEM LIVE. Even if the album is lame, I will go to the concert if it's anywhere within a 300 mile radius.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Oct 19 2006, 04:22 AM)
How about:

You realize that they'll never make another album like those in the late 70s and refuse to vote in this poll.

Oh sad. lol, that's quite depressing.

Treeduck, you still have it. This is a great question.

If Rush's next album is a complete bomb, and theres no way to latch on to it at all, and i'tl never grow on me, like HYF, and it just completely sucks, i'll still see them live.. if they do tour.

I might like one song off of it after a while.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 19 2006, 06:19 AM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Oct 19 2006, 12:17 AM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Oct 17 2006, 04:02 PM)
Well, seeing as they've already produced three stinkers, I wouldn't be too surpised

Which are?

I think he means Vapor Trails, Test for Echo and Roll the Bones...

No,though two,out of thre aint bad..

I mean:

Counterparts

Roll The Bones

Vapour Trails

QUOTE (Grace2Grace @ Oct 19 2006, 02:50 PM)
Counterparts?

x_x

I agree with Fridge a great deal in his opinions, but his hatred for Counterparts I must admit to being continually stumped by. confused13.gif To me, it was by far their best, and only truly great album since HYF, but hey, eveyone's different. yes.gif

QUOTE (searchingforxanadu @ Oct 19 2006, 01:09 PM)
I chose option one. (though I would be tempted to blame RushGoober, but for no particular reason. It just seems like the right thing to do.)

Hey, I'm just glad I was there in your thought processes somehow. unsure.gif

wink.gif

Seriously though, if Rush produced another clunker, it's not my fault! no.gif

tongue.gif

Thinking about it, I can say I honestly didn't like about half their albums the first few listens - one song would grab me, and that would be it. But I always ended up liking the whole thing.

Or almost the whole thing, anyway - jury's still out on "Dog Years." laugh.gif

QUOTE (Slime @ Oct 20 2006, 10:57 PM)
RTB owns your bones!

...and I still hate Red Barchetta cool.gif

i think you're only person who doesn;t like that song, what don't you like about it? The interesting story in the lyrics? The crunching guitar riff? The cool clean chords? The excellent vocal melody? The fab guitar solo?

ohmy.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 20 2006, 07:15 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 20 2006, 10:03 AM)
QUOTE (Finbar @ Oct 20 2006, 12:59 PM)
I think they already did: Roll the Bones.

Nah it's a good album mate...

trink38.gif

Nice comeback. I'm sure he LOVES the album now. sarcasm.gif

tongue.gif

I'm very sure that I've persuaded him to get down and boogie as he "gets busy with the facts."

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 20 2006, 02:43 PM)
QUOTE (Grace2Grace @ Oct 19 2006, 02:50 PM)
Counterparts?

x_x

I agree with Fridge a great deal in his opinions, but his hatred for Counterparts I must admit to being continually stumped by. confused13.gif To me, it was by far their best, and only truly great album since HYF, but hey, eveyone's different. yes.gif

It's quite interesting actually.

it appears that Counterparts is not nearly so popular across the pond as it is in America. Why? Can't really say to be honest, though I do know why I don't like it.

It's just so BLAND...Rush-lite with instantly forgettable humdrum radio friendly elevator music. At a stretch I would say I quite like Animate, and the lyrics to Cold Fire are pretty good (though the music isn't).Apart from that, there is nothing that really grabs the attention except for Nobodys Hero, which quite honestly is one of the most cringeworthy,wince-making moments in musical history. Atrociously clumsy lyrics. The record company should have slapped Neil on the face with a wet fish for even contemplating its release.

As for (Bog) Roll The Bones, it's just ghastly, end of story.

I do think they made a partial recovery with T4E, which although it has it's share of duffers, has a collection of fine tunes on it. Pity they couldn't sustain it for VT, which probably has about three or four decent tracks amid the garbage.

In all honesty, I think that HYF is the last "great" Rush album, with Presto a reasonable effort lifted by two amazing songs (Presto and Available Light)

I went with option 9.. I remember when I first heard VT it was something like "Wait a second.. Am I having a nightmare?" On the other hand when I first heard TFE it was so refreshing. Many people here seem to find many similarities in these albums but I don't. TFE > VT. Period. If the next album ends up being a sixty-minutes 'Sweet Miracle Suite', I'll surely be disappointed and consider the album an ultimate crap. I hate this kind of ballads I call 'for adults'.

QUOTE (Grace2Grace @ Oct 21 2006, 03:38 PM)
I don't see what you hugs see in tht soft hugfest called HYF. A bunch of lame-same sounding songs.

I remember awhile back I was putting together a 3-cd best of Rush set for my own personal use. I was shocked when I chose no less than SIX (count 'em) songs from HYF. As much as I don't dig Tai Shan and High Water, the rest is simply stellar for me, filled with anthemic classics.

All I can say here is to look at the last several posts on this thread. Everyone is different, and while there are definitive trends (a large percentage of people agree Moving Pictures is one of their best, a large percentage of people agree Roll The Bones is one of their worst, etc.), rarely do any two people agree completely on everything. Preferences differ...

Archived