Geddy's Fender bass tone

treeduck

QUOTE (Grace2Grace @ Oct 16 2006, 11:56 PM)
The bass he used on ESL was perfect!

Sorry can't agree there.

I think ESL was an unqualified mess of a recording with a horrible mix....pity because it was a blinding set list at the time

On dvd's. The point of the dvd isn't to JUST show 2.gif play their tunes. The producers and other people that are part of the artistic creation of the DVD are trying to capture a moment in time and a FEEL. Most of us here have heard 2.gif live and know what we like and which show may have sounded better than another. THAT particular night, in Rio, THE CROWD was a major part of THAT MOMENT IN TIME. It wasn't like every other show they play. So the band and producers, i'm sure, felt it wouldn't do the DVD justice to just have ANOTHER live recording of the band from stage view and crowd mixed out.

If the point was just to do that, then it might as well be a lip synched, no crowd show. Know what I mean? I look at DVD concerts as almost a movie. The Rio dvd and R30 have two distinctly different feels and are shot completely different. DVD's are NOT all about the sound, but more the feeling of that particular moment in time.

IMO

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Oct 16 2006, 08:28 PM)
On dvd's. The point of the dvd isn't to JUST show 2.gif play their tunes. The producers and other people that are part of the artistic creation of the DVD are trying to capture a moment in time and a FEEL. Most of us here have heard 2.gif live and know what we like and which show may have sounded better than another. THAT particular night, in Rio, THE CROWD was a major part of THAT MOMENT IN TIME. It wasn't like every other show they play. So the band and producers, i'm sure, felt it wouldn't do the DVD justice to just have ANOTHER live recording of the band from stage view and crowd mixed out.

If the point was just to do that, then it might as well be a lip synched, no crowd show. Know what I mean? I look at DVD concerts as almost a movie. The Rio dvd and R30 have two distinctly different feels and are shot completely different. DVD's are NOT all about the sound, but more the feeling of that particular moment in time.

IMO

actually, you watch a music dvd to hear and watch the music from the albums be performed, not to watch 60,000 people jump up and down like they're on crack. No, its not their fault for having that energy, they kicked ass and I wish I was Rush to experience that......however, That is for them to experience, I don't like that, I purchase music to listen to IT, not the crowd. If they SLIGHTLY, NOT COMPLETELY cut out the crowd a bit more.....the mix coulda been perfect and we would have had an excellent DVD that gave you that warm feeling as if you were there, yet, a feeling that, this is great, I can still hear the band playing unimpeded by loud people.

Fridge,

I agree to an extent. I don't find it egotistical to take credit for hard work. I walk the walk. Talk is cheap. If I go into an audition no matter what the format, I walk in there to get the job, and you know what? 9 outta 10 times that job is mine as soon as I plug in because I do possess the chops to hang with anyone on the planet, but I also have instilled in me by a great mentor, teacher, and friend (that will tell me my shit still stinks if need be), the wisdom to know when its not in context and to lay off. You are only as good as the band you play in and if you try to outshine, then its too much, whereas your job in a team should be to do your best to make others look good first and foremost.

I'm a chopsmonster, however, I get misinterpreted from my conversations as someone who thinks chops only applies. That's not the case. Just like when I mention Dream Theater, automatically people who don't know much except for maybe "Pull Me Under" jump right on the bandwagon of ignorance and call Petrucci a shredder only, and the bassist overplays and the drummer is an egotistical asshole, and the singer doesn't know how to sing.......

If those same people took the time to buy or download each song ever written post '92, they would be enlightened to see that their music has been ecclectic and not all shred, not feelingless and uninspiring.....

Same with my playing. I have worked in a ton of bands and in different stylings, I go with the flow but I always make the music my own with my phrasing or fills that I seem to love to work in.

Geddy's melodies made me fall in love with his bass playing and I am forever indebted to his influence, as it is one of the reasons I am so good at what I do. He opened doors to my perception in my approach to playing bass guitar.

I don't care if I ever make a living off of music, my dream would be to have touched people the way he has and knowing I had part of shaping someone elses passion. That's a very powerful and priceless thing especially between strangers that will never meet. I had a kid approach me that I didn't even know when I was 22 who saw me gigging when I was 18 and I didn't know him from Jack and he said, "you're the reason I started playing bass after seeing what you did on bass that night"

That's awesome. I was only an extension of what Geddy and so many other greats have given me. What a gift!

See, I think his studio sound minus Moving Pictures when there was no bass on YYZ cause it sounded like a guitar with have distortion on......sounds good. But you don't take the engineer on the road with you so having your sound clean in the studio versus on the road can be two separate things. Geddy just hears what he hears. Everyone hears what they want. That guy in Korn thinks he has a good tone. I'd rather pound pencils into my eardrums and then chop my arms off and then feed myself to a pool of hungry alligators than play a bass like that guy with no technique, no tone, no purpose, and look like a total douche.

But Geddy has some clean sounds. What I would have given to have heard a beefed up and more present, not thin, Wal sound like Presto but not pussed out like it was mixed in Presto on the Moving Pictures cd.

QUOTE (melodic777 @ Oct 16 2006, 09:41 PM)
See, I think his studio sound minus Moving Pictures when there was no bass on YYZ cause it sounded like a guitar with have distortion on......sounds good. But you don't take the engineer on the road with you so having your sound clean in the studio versus on the road can be two separate things. Geddy just hears what he hears. Everyone hears what they want. That guy in Korn thinks he has a good tone. I'd rather pound pencils into my eardrums and then chop my arms off and then feed myself to a pool of hungry alligators than play a bass like that guy with no technique, no tone, no purpose, and look like a total douche.

But Geddy has some clean sounds. What I would have given to have heard a beefed up and more present, not thin, Wal sound like Presto but not pussed out like it was mixed in Presto on the Moving Pictures cd.

and that is the producer and engineers fault. BUt again, Geddy has a say in his tone. Roll the Bones was the least present bass I've ever heard and that goes for bass drum as well. The whole spectrum was between 400hz and 10khz

There was no bottom end, terrible sound and what a great album

QUOTE (melodic777 @ Oct 16 2006, 09:26 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Oct 16 2006, 08:28 PM)
On dvd's.  The point of the dvd isn't to JUST show 2.gif  play their tunes.  The producers and other people that are part of the artistic creation of the DVD are trying to capture a moment in time and a FEEL.  Most of us here have heard 2.gif live and know what we like and which show may have sounded better than another.  THAT particular night, in Rio, THE CROWD was a major part of THAT MOMENT IN TIME.  It wasn't like every other show they play.  So the band and producers, i'm sure, felt it wouldn't do the DVD justice to just have ANOTHER live recording of the band from stage view and crowd mixed out. 

If the point was just to do that, then it might as well be a lip synched, no crowd show.  Know what I mean?  I look at DVD concerts as almost a movie.  The Rio dvd and R30 have two distinctly different feels and are shot completely different.  DVD's are NOT all about the sound, but more the feeling of that particular moment in time. 

IMO

actually, you watch a music dvd to hear and watch the music from the albums be performed, not to watch 60,000 people jump up and down like they're on crack. No, its not their fault for having that energy, they kicked ass and I wish I was Rush to experience that......however, That is for them to experience, I don't like that, I purchase music to listen to IT, not the crowd. If they SLIGHTLY, NOT COMPLETELY cut out the crowd a bit more.....the mix coulda been perfect and we would have had an excellent DVD that gave you that warm feeling as if you were there, yet, a feeling that, this is great, I can still hear the band playing unimpeded by loud people.

Okay, i understand what you or even I bought the dvd for. What I'm saying is that the people who made it have a creative and artistic influence in what you bought and they were going for the feel of the night and how the audience was so much a part of it. While I liked the feel of it, I totally see that it does somewhat inhibit the sound. So if I want to just hear those songs without the crowd, I have all the cds anyway. When it comes to concert movies, it's all about the visuals for me anyway. Sometimes the creative team gets a bit too artsy, but all in all I thought RinR was a very good solid MOVIE/DvD.

I saw a Genesis concert just recently on my cable provider that was total crap. I almost didn't realize they were playing live. The audience was almost completely out of the show and when they did show them, they were sitting down and showing NO emotion. It really looked more like a video with a few hundred extras thrown into the front section of a hall. Because of the way THIS movie/concert dvd was shot, I turned it off. Like I said, if you don't want the live feel of the particular night captured, you might as well just have them lip synch the show under the stage lights and have no crowd. Like the old Billy Squier videos. laugh.gif

Edited by Necromancer

In a general sense, I concur with Melodic. The sound on RiR is terrible, and the 5.1 mix is unlistenable. Not only becuase of the mixing of the crowd level, but more importantly for the terrible job of the mix of the instruments. Many times some intstruments fade out altogether. You can't hear Peart's Toms most of the time, and the rear speakers have an annoying delayed effect for most of the concert. It was terrible.

However, the performance itself was unfuckingbelievable. It was so good, in fact, that I'd rather watch RiR in Stereo (with pro logic II) than watch any other Rush concert DVD that has been made (including boots).

QUOTE (CeeJ @ Oct 18 2006, 12:36 PM)

When I go to concerts I NEVER just sit still. no.gif

I don't see how that would be possible when the music
is so energetic. confused13.gif[/b][/i][/color]

Yeah me neither. I go to shows to have a great time yes.gif

How many real bass tones can there be

you have to be kidding!

listen to Territories, La Villa Strangiato, and Animate...then, if you can still ask that question, you don't know what you're talking about.

( I realize that those are only 3 different bass tones, but there are thousands more)