The KISS Solo Albums of 1978!

RUSHHEAD666

Which is your favorite 1978 KISS Solo Album?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite 1978 KISS Solo Album?

• ACE
    • GENE
    • PAUL
    • PETER

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 10 2006, 12:31 AM)
I decided about the solo Kiss albums 3 years before I even heard of Rush.

I thought it was pretty much general consensus all over the place that Ace's was the best? confused13.gif

What you think it's like a clan thing and everyone comes together in stone temple in a secret underground cavern on the first Friday of the month dressed in a cowl and robe and all agree that this album or that album is the sacred one and all must abide by this...??

laugh.gif

Of course "New York Groove" was the most popular of all the solo works as disco was still holding on. I remember seeing KISS during the Dynasty tour and they played "NYG" only song they played from solo albums. Horrible era for KISS caught up in the Disco sh*t "I was made for loving you" 062802puke_prv.gif

Only other song I remember being played on radio from solo's was Gene's "Living in sin at the Holiday Inn" I believe his gal at the time Cher had guest vocals on that gem. laugh.gif

Others who added back vocals beside Cher on Gene's album.

Helen Reddy

Bob Seger

Donna Summer

Janis Ian

Kate Sagal ( Yes from Married with children,Futurama)

Also Joe Perry and Rick Nielsen, (Skunk Baxter from Doobie Brothers) played on album. Leave it to Simmons to indulge this extreme and it still was mediocre.

Did anyone buy his last album "A**HOLE" title seems to fit!! laugh.gif

Heard it was pretty bad.

QUOTE (daveyt @ Oct 9 2006, 08:42 PM)
to say we voted on ACE because alex and ace hung out it STOOPID!!!! & if one person did that makes them STOOPIDER!!!!

Sorry to beathorse.gif but that is very interesting.

I just got my nuts handed to me because I made a comment where I stated that "I like Tim Alexander better than Mike Portony and even Neil would agree."

I said that in jest because I know that Tim and Neil hung out a lot on the "Roll the Bones" Tour. Those two guys totally bonded and had a great tour together. They actually became friends.

Then there is the Mystic Mike Portony. Mr. Business. He must be related to Lars Ulrich. Mike the "Bar Musician" who finally after many moons got his shot to hang with Neil and then talked about a bunch of rumors about DT and Rush touring together. Lame.

I am not voting for that either. It's "An Evening With Rush!" At this point DT could simply stand for "Detonate Today!" Die Hard Dream Theater Fans should just stay on their own site. I sure as hell do not lurk over there!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

On a positive KISS note however I listened to the GENE solo album tonight and it wasn't that good at all. The only cool thing was when Gene started to sing "Wish Upon A Star." My little 5 year old daughter ran out to the living room and thought she was listening to a Disneyland song. I told her, that it was Gene Simmons from KISS and she looked confused. She knows all about KISS thanks to me and she couldn't relate to the Demon with the long tongue to singing a Disney tune.

Classic!!

QUOTE (softfilter @ Oct 10 2006, 02:29 AM)
Helen Reddy
Bob Seger
Donna Summer
Janis Ian
Also Joe Perry and Rick Nielsen, (Skunk Baxter from Doobie Brothers) played on album. Leave it to Simmons to indulge this extreme and it still was mediocre.
Did anyone buy his last album "A**HOLE" title seems to fit!! laugh.gif
Heard it was pretty bad.

Yeah I'm sure they hung out witht Donna Summer too much around 78-79, then their popularity dwindled with a pop album and a concept album, Peter supposedly was on Unmasked but it was future David Letterman drummer Anton Fig who played on it. Later when they got their act together with Creatures of the Night Ace was supposed to be on that but it was Vinnie Vincent...Downward spiral really from their 77/78 peak...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 9 2006, 10:05 PM)

I thought it was pretty much general consensus all over the place that Ace's was the best?  confused13.gif

What you think it's like a clan thing and everyone comes together in stone temple in a secret underground cavern on the first Friday of the month dressed in a cowl and robe and all agree that this album or that album is the sacred one and all must abide by this...??

laugh.gif

I'm just saying that if you use this poll result as even a minor barometer, you can see that Ace is WELL in the lead, and every time I've ever heard of Kiss fans talking about the solo albums in various arenas, people almost always agree that Ace's is the best. Obviously it's a lot of subjective opinions, but the general consensus is that Ace's is the best. Obviously you are free to disagree all you want, but that's what the majority of people think, and the results here have nothing to do with Ace's connection to Alex. I can't imagine anyone voting for him for that reason.

Ace's was my favorite of the four. I still like 'New York Groove'.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 10 2006, 11:19 AM)

I thought it was pretty much general consensus all over the place that Ace's was the best?  confused13.gif

laugh.gif

I'm just saying that if you use this poll result as even a minor barometer, you can see that Ace is WELL in the lead, and every time I've ever heard of Kiss fans talking about the solo albums in various arenas, people almost always agree that Ace's is the best. Obviously it's a lot of subjective opinions, but the general consensus is that Ace's is the best. Obviously you are free to disagree all you want, but that's what the majority of people think, and the results here have nothing to do with Ace's connection to Alex. I can't imagine anyone voting for him for that reason.

This Ace / Alex connection never once entered my mind until it appeared in this thread. And personally, I don't get it.

I voted Ace, but I think Paul's album is awesome. I pretty much consider it as good. But a vote was called for, and I voted Ace. It's that simple.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 10 2006, 11:19 AM)

laugh.gif

The reviews at the time of the album's releases also said that Ace's was the best.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 10 2006, 05:21 AM)
Helen Reddy
Bob Seger
Donna Summer
Janis Ian
Did anyone buy his last album "A**HOLE"  title seems to fit!!  laugh.gif
  Heard it was pretty bad.

Yeah I'm sure they hung out witht Donna Summer too much around 78-79, then their popularity dwindled with a pop album and a concept album, Peter supposedly was on Unmasked but it was future David Letterman drummer Anton Fig who played on it. Later when they got their act together with Creatures of the Night Ace was supposed to be on that but it was Vinnie Vincent...Downward spiral really from their 77/78 peak...

I remember the interview where Gene admitted to begging Ace to appear for the cover of Creatures, even though it was Vinnie Vincent playing. They knew after Peter's departure being so recent, the band would not survive the blow of Ace leaving so soon afterward.

Creatures, btw, is a KICK ASS album. They evolved just fine.

edited to type out Vinnie Vincent's full name. I just did two V's and it looked like a W. VV W VV W. laugh.gif

Edited by paganoman

I've seen two different album covers of "Creatures..." and the one I remember is the dark blue one with all members having glowing eyes. And yes, they are in make-up. Wasn't Ace in the band for this album? Or was someone wearing "space" makeup in his place?

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Oct 10 2006, 11:50 AM)
I've seen two different album covers of "Creatures..." and the one I remember is the dark blue one with all members having glowing eyes. And yes, they are in make-up. Wasn't Ace in the band for this album? Or was someone wearing "space" makeup in his place?

That is Ace on the cover (the make-up one). Vinnie plays guitar on the album though. Ace had ceased doing anything musically with the band the year before but didn't officially leave the band until after Creatures was released.

And yes Pags Creatures is definitely a kick-ass, heavy album 1022.gif Very underrated. It was a return to the hard rock sound which made Kiss big in the first place yes.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Oct 10 2006, 11:58 AM)

That is Ace on the cover (the make-up one). Vinnie plays guitar on the album though. Ace had ceased doing anything musically with the band the year before but didn't officially leave the band until after Creatures was released.

And yes Pags Creatures is definitely a kick-ass, heavy album 1022.gif Very underrated. It was a return to the hard rock sound which made Kiss big in the first place yes.gif

It's funny also that Ace appears in the "I Love It Loud" video.....and Paul is "playing" the solo even though it is Vinnie's solo on the song itself laugh.gif

Ace was on the original cover for Creatures (the dim blue cover), but he didn't play on the album. By that point he was gone and Vinnie Vincent was brought on board. Vinnie would appear on the album's cover (Lick It Up) when they took the makup off.

When the Creatures CD was first released several years later, they took a new picture for the cover - this time featuring Bruce Kulick and the funny thing is, he never played on the album laugh.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Oct 10 2006, 11:58 AM)

OMG I f'ing LOVE that album. There is not a bad song on it.

653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Oct 10 2006, 12:09 PM)

When the Creatures CD was first released several years later, they took a new picture for the cover - this time featuring Bruce Kulick and the funny thing is, he never played on the album laugh.gif

Actually Bruce did play lead and rhythm guitars on the song "Danger" (Like Vinnie he was not credited)

But still...that was too much to have him on the cover laugh.gif

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

QUOTE (paganoman @ Oct 10 2006, 10:42 AM)
Helen Reddy
Bob Seger
Donna Summer
Janis Ian
  Heard it was pretty bad.

I remember the interview where Gene admitted to begging Ace to appear for the cover of Creatures, even though it was VV playing. They knew after Peter's departure being so recent, the band would not survive the blow of Ace leaving so soon afterward.

Also a frequent awol Ace the starman had to be replaced on the set of that cinematic masterpiece "KISS Meets The Phantom of the park" by a African American gentleman who put on the starman makeup.

Seen Creatures tour also, remember stage being a large tank thats all I remember man was I stoned that night!!! cool10.gif

Also didn't Vinnie Vincent recently lost in his court bid for royalties on the KISS albums he appeared on?

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Oct 10 2006, 12:13 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Oct 10 2006, 12:09 PM)

Actually Bruce did play lead and rhythm guitars on the song "Danger" (Like Vinnie he was not credited)

But still...that was too much to have him on the cover laugh.gif

Bruce played on Danger? Cool. I didn't know that. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I remember "I Love It Loud" video coming out aroung the same time as "Subdivisions" on MTV. I haven't heard that song in a long, long time, but I remember liking it.

"I Was Made for Loving You, baby, you were made for lovin' me...."

My sister once told me way back when we were kids that KISS used to wash their forks and spoons with piss.

I guess that was one in a million rumours about the band.

Another was that Gene Simmon's dragon platform shoes would fly out into the audience at concerts.

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 10 2006, 10:19 AM)

laugh.gif

It's not a case of disagreeing, it just is what it is, you see in Duckworld Stanley's is the best...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Oct 10 2006, 10:42 AM)
Helen Reddy
Bob Seger
Donna Summer
Janis Ian
  Heard it was pretty bad.

I remember the interview where Gene admitted to begging Ace to appear for the cover of Creatures, even though it was Vinnie Vincent playing. They knew after Peter's departure being so recent, the band would not survive the blow of Ace leaving so soon afterward.

edited to type out Vinnie Vincent's full name. I just did two V's and it looked like a W. VV W VV W. laugh.gif

Oh yeah Creatures is one of their best albums, a real return to form it was...

Kind of embarrassing now though that Bryan Adams wrote some of the songs (not the better ones btw).

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Oct 10 2006, 10:50 AM)

Ace was on the cover but he didn't play on the album...

More KISSTORY!

So then, what do some of you think about that so-called comeback Kiss album called "PSYCHO CIRCUS?"

Crap or Cream?

I thought it was just average. I heard that Ace only plays guitar on a few tracks. Same with Peter. Weak.

Also what about that last KISS album that was shelved for a few years called "Carnival of Souls?" That one featured Bruce and Eric Singer. I read that Bruce was really pissed that the record was put on hold so Paul and Gene could do the reunion thing.

I thought the record was actually quite heavy for a KISS record. I liked it.

One more quick KISS question. Would you go to a KISS KONCERT with today's line up?? Tommy Thayer from the great underrated band "Black N Blue" and of course the excellent Eric Singer on drums.

I would go!

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 10 2006, 09:35 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 10 2006, 10:19 AM)

laugh.gif

It's not a case of disagreeing, it just is what it is, you see in Duckworld Stanley's is the best...

laugh.gif

So what you're saying is you like Paul Stanley's solo album the best??? ohmy.gif

See, I hadn't picked up on that before. no.gif

sarcasm.gif

doh.gif

tongue.gif

trink39.gif