Arctic Monkeys wil Mercury Prize

madra sneachta

So despite a strong groundswell of support for fellow Sheffield native Richard Hawley (ex Pulp), Arctic Monkeys have won the Mercury Prize for "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not".

My mopney was on Hawley for "Cole's Corner", but this year the pattern of comercially sucessful album one year, cult album the next was maintained.

Expect a suitably obscure album beloved of critics and arty types but ignored by the music buying masses to win in 2007!!!.

I like the Arctic Monkeys album, but because I love the Jam, the Kinks, Wire and Gang of Four, I find it derivative.

My nephew, who is 17, loves the Arctic Monkeys and wouldn't know the above mentioned 4 acts if they hit him in the nuts with a frying pan. He also thinks I'm a muppet.

So there you go.

I was hoping Hawley would win too, his albums are always excellent.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Sep 6 2006, 02:21 PM)
So despite a strong groundswell of support for fellow Sheffield native Richard Hawley (ex Pulp), Arctic Monkeys have won the Mercury Prize for "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not".

My mopney was on Hawley for "Cole's Corner", but this year the pattern of comercially sucessful album one year, cult album the next was maintained.

Expect a suitably obscure album beloved of critics and arty types but ignored by the music buying masses to win in 2007!!!.

Now, how did that not suprise me sarcasm.gif

I really do worry for the British Music Industry sometimes....

I think they have something.

True, the musicianship is a bit iffy, but they have a certain X factor which separates them from the rest of the indie crowd. They are quite derivative though, as has been mentioned above

I thought they were a quite fun band to watch, having seen them twice earlier this year. I personally dont understand just why they had gotten as popular so fast as they did. They have interesting lyrics that dont really say anything and some ballsy riffs, but truthfully it isnt anything terribly new. I guess thats why the hype surrounding them seems to have faded so fast. Maybe it was more of a snowball effect that everyone was hearing how great they were and were buying into the hype without actually deciding if they liked it or not. Ha, I dont think I very much helped with that hype either as I was part of that crowd.

Oh well though, they were fun while they were here, and if they came around again I'm probably sure I would go just because a lot of my friends are fans.

Archived