Hypotheticical Hyperspace II

treeduck

Which of them would have had the more successful solo career?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which of them would have had the more successful solo career?

• 1 Neil
    • 2 Alex
    • 3 Geddy
    • 4 John Rutsey returnes and blows them all away
    • 5 Terry Brown

I know what you're thinking, did he fire six bullets or only five...well in all this excitement I- errrrr oops that's not right. Hmmm ok try that again...

I know what you're thinking, at a glance it looks like a two horse race, Geddy or Alex, well yes, but...think about it, Neil can write songs, well lyrics and drummers do front bands (from the back though), for example Don Henley and Phil Collins, Bruford, Weckl etc. Portnoy is sort of Dream Theater's "leader" or close to it, so drummers can lead bands. All Neil would need is someone to team up with and bam!!! In 1984, cast adrift, he'd still be hungry...still restless, still have a lot to say... Neil has enough to challenge the other two in the solo artist stakes...

So now that I've put the case for Neil and got three fairly even contestants for the hypothetical-best-post-Rush solo career, who would it be for you: Alex, Geddy or Neil - [or Rutsey eyesre4.gif ]

Btw the Terry Brown option is the one you pick if you think none of them would have made it...

Interesting poll - I guess all the normal polls have been done to death so now we're left with the really obscure ones.

The key to this poll is how you define success. I'll assume you meant pure sales.

I'm saying Geddy by a hair (not a nose, too cliche). But not necessarily due to talent or marketing, but because most of us still jonesing for Rush would buy Geddy's stuff because it would be the closest thing we could come to the real thing, similar to Sting and The Police.

Neil certainly would continue to work, but he probably wouldn't care if it was popular. As long as he felt content with what he was producing he'd likely be happy. This sentiment could (but not necessarily) lead to him getting involved in a band/project that never got a mass following.

Alex. Who knows. Anything could happen to Alex in this situation. I think he would be the one most likely to take a long vacation from music, as circa 1984 he seemed to be getting frustrated with aspects of the band. But he'd certainly be back.

This poll brings up an interesting question. There are numerous examples of lead singers going on to more successful careers after already being in a successful band that happpened to break up.

Are there examples of guitarists or drummers who can say the same thing? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Jimmy Page of The Yardbirds maybe? Steve Howe and Asia? (I think I'm stretching here)

I considered Eddie Van Halen. The "Sammy Era" was at least as successful if not more so than the "David Era". But I really don't think that situation counts, as it's not an example of a COMPLETE band break-up (which this poll is referring to), but one where one band member left and was replaced and the band name was kept.

This brings to mind another question. If this actually happened, and Alex joined and/or formed another band, and his Rush background brought prestige to the band that it might not normally have had, BUT the band was not named after Alex himself..

.. would this new band be part of Alex's "solo career"? Or would it simply be an extension of his "career"?

Ok, now that I've fully exhausted this poll far beyond what the original poster had intended, I will take my leave.

Cheers,

Schro

I think the crucial missing word here is 'commercial'.

Going by solo projects, Geddy is the one most likely to forge a commercial career, sell albums and venues and forge the traditional path through the music industry.

Neil would have become the world's most in demand session drummer while forging a primary career as an author IMO, while Alex would become involved in a myriad of side projects, but not a succesful solo career.

Then again, if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.......

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Aug 31 2006, 05:09 AM)

Going by solo projects, Geddy is the one most likely to forge a commercial career, sell albums and venues and forge the traditional path through the music industry.

Neil would have become the world's most in demand session drummer while forging a primary career as an author IMO, while Alex would become involved in a myriad of side projects, but not a succesful solo career.

goodpost.gif

The only thing I'd add is that Alex might have wound up being very successful on what came to be called "alternative" - i.e., college radio, that sort of thing. (Rush was the only "mainstream" band the local college station played.)

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Aug 31 2006, 06:09 AM)

I'd probably say the same.

Geddy a sucessfull solo artist, Neil a writer, and Alex might have joined another band.

Geddy without a doubt.

He probably could have formed a band with almost anyone in Canada or the world for that matter.

Possibly could have worked with Kim Mitchell or perhaps Myles Goodwyn or Brian Greenway of April Wine.

I am just glad this poll is make believe! smile.gif

QUOTE (Maddy @ Sep 1 2006, 09:13 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 1 2006, 01:04 AM)
What no vote for Rutsey???

rofl3.gif

Poor John Rutsey. Talk about getting no respect... rofl3.gif Music's Rodney Dangerfield...

Well, Alex said one time that he stopped playing shortly after leaving, so he couldnt come back.

QUOTE (Schro @ Aug 31 2006, 05:27 AM)

Are there examples of guitarists or drummers who can say the same thing? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Jimmy Page of The Yardbirds maybe? Steve Howe and Asia? (I think I'm stretching here)

Eric Clapton, for one.

Paul Weller (writer and Guitarist, for The Jam, Style Council and solo)

Dave Alvin (writer and guitarist for the Blasters, X, solo)

I think Alex would have been more successful, as he seems more malleable than N or G....

Archived