The Dark Knight

Batman

From SCI/FI Wire .com

Warner Brothers announced that its upcoming sequel to 2005's hit Batman Begins will be called The Dark Knight and will feature Heath Ledger as the Joker.

Christopher Nolan is set to direct from a script by Jonathan Nolan, based on a story by Christopher Nolan and David Goyer, who both wrote the screenplay for the previous film. Christian Bale, who played Bruce Wayne/Batman in Batman Begins, will again play the Caped Crusader. Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Christopher Nolan will produce.

"I'm excited to continue the story we started with Batman Begins," Christopher Nolan said in a statement. "Our challenge in casting the Joker was to find an actor who is not just extraordinarily talented, but fearless. Watching Heath Ledger's interpretation of this iconic character taking on Christian Bale's Batman is going to be incredible." Production is set to begin on The Dark Knight in early 2007.

The Dark Knight appears to be an allusion to Frank Miller's groundbreaking 1986 graphic novel Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, which redefined the character with a darkly psychological take and paved the way for subsequent comic and film interpretations of him, including Tim Burton's gothic Batman film in 1989.

yes.gif trink39.gif

I am very excited for this one they did such a good job with the first one I have very high expectation for this one.

The only thing I am worried about is Heath Ledger playing the Joker.

And NO ONE ELSE FINDS OUT WHO BATMAN IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (Slime @ Aug 1 2006, 04:51 PM)
Nobody could ever hope to top Jack Nicholson's Joker

You're kidding me right? Jack Nicholson's "Joker" was horrible. All he did in that role was play Jack Nicholson in white face paint and green hair dye. The Joker isn't some loud-laughing freak accident. He's a sadistic psycho who kills and tortures people for his own amusment. We got absolutly none of that out of Nicholson.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Aug 1 2006, 07:46 PM)
QUOTE (Slime @ Aug 1 2006, 04:51 PM)
Nobody could ever hope to top Jack Nicholson's Joker

You're kidding me right? Jack Nicholson's "Joker" was horrible. All he did in that role was play Jack Nicholson in white face paint and green hair dye. The Joker isn't some loud-laughing freak accident. He's a sadistic psycho who kills and tortures people for his own amusment. We got absolutly none of that out of Nicholson.

I concur wholeheartedly. Nicholson was interesting, but he wasn't the Joker.

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Aug 2 2006, 11:51 AM)
i thought Jack Nicholson's Joker was awesome. even if it wasn't quite the right portrayal of the joker, it was still awesome the way it was.

you know i never actually saw Batman Begins but i've always wanted to, i'll hafta rent it sometime soon.

I have to wonder if you READ any Batman? I can't see how ANYONE could call what Jack Nicholson did to the Joker as good. It was pitiful and in a way... SACRILIGIOUS, for lack of a better word. It was like... Okay, we got Jack... so we'll let him do it any way he wants.

I bet Burton wasn't happy with Jack's rendering of Joker. It was disgusting. I really don't like any of the "other" Batman movies. Batman Begins is the first correct portrayal of Bats in my opinion. And trust me, I've read Batman for thirty four years. I think i'm a good enough judge. yes.gif

No actor or any hollywood adaptation of any literary character will be completely true to the original intent, but at least Batman Begins paid homage to what DC has created over the past decades with the Dark Knight.

What Schumacher and company did to Batman in the last two movies was dispicable and I only hope that something like that travesty never occurs again.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 3 2006, 03:03 AM)
QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Aug 2 2006, 11:51 AM)
i thought Jack Nicholson's Joker was awesome. even if it wasn't quite the right portrayal of the joker, it was still awesome the way it was.

you know i never actually saw Batman Begins but i've always wanted to, i'll hafta rent it sometime soon.

I have to wonder if you READ any Batman? I can't see how ANYONE could call what Jack Nicholson did to the Joker as good. It was pitiful and in a way... SACRILIGIOUS, for lack of a better word. It was like... Okay, we got Jack... so we'll let him do it any way he wants.

I bet Burton wasn't happy with Jack's rendering of Joker. It was disgusting. I really don't like any of the "other" Batman movies. Batman Begins is the first correct portrayal of Bats in my opinion. And trust me, I've read Batman for thirty four years. I think i'm a good enough judge. yes.gif

No actor or any hollywood adaptation of any literary character will be completely true to the original intent, but at least Batman Begins paid homage to what DC has created over the past decades with the Dark Knight.

What Schumacher and company did to Batman in the last two movies was dispicable and I only hope that something like that travesty never occurs again.

I'd just guess that Burton hadn't read any Batman comics before making the first films. I like a couple of his flicks but overall Burton's work leaves me unsatisfied. Having said that, his Batman movies were still a million times better than Shumacher's. If I had my way I'd hold Shumacher down as Necro bludgeoned into oblivion.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 2 2006, 07:22 PM)
I'd just guess that Burton hadn't read any Batman comics before making the first films.

Burton actually publicly admitted he never read a comic book in his life.

Oh and for the record, as much as I hate the Shumacher films, I'll actually take Forever over Returns.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Aug 2 2006, 09:34 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 2 2006, 07:22 PM)
I'd just guess that Burton hadn't read any Batman comics before making the first films.

Burton actually publicly admitted he never read a comic book in his life.

Oh and for the record, as much as I hate the Shumacher films, I'll actually take Forever over Returns.

Yes but it still doesn't make up for Batman And Robin!!

Every Role Jack plays he plays as Jack I have to admit I was pleased with Batman just making it to the big screen at the time of the release. Then Return came out and I was like OH No !!

Forever might have been a better movie had Keaton stayed with it and they had a younger Robin.

The only thing about B&R was my seven year old liked it besides that they totally killed everything that was cool about Batman.

Begins is by far the best Superhero movie to date as far as sticking to atleast Basic elements of the comic

I really hope they try and get some of the Detective part of the Character into the story this time around.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 8 2006, 11:17 PM)
There's no way Heath Ledger will outdo Jack as the Joker... no.gif

Bad choice... yes.gif

OY VEY.

Y'know... i know you can't argue OPINIONS, but THIS isn't really an opinionated topic. THE JOKER was played TERRIBLY by Jack Nicholson. That isn't UP FOR DEBATE!!! Anyone who reads any of the Bat titles KNOWS THIS!!! angry.gif

It's like saying that a glass of water was portrayed well by a ROCK!!!

It isn't POSSIBLE!!! Nicholson DESTROYED the character of the Joker. It was a freakin' sin. How can anyone actually say that Jack played JOKER well??? Jack's a great actor... i'll give him that. But he didn't study the character he was playing at ALL. He went with this ridiculous idea of what HE thought was the Joker, and he was f***ing DEAD WRONG.

Heath can not POSSIBLY do any worse.

THIS IS NOT A DEBATE!!! IT'S FACT.

yes.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 10 2006, 12:59 PM)

Bad choice...  yes.gif

OY VEY.

Y'know... i know you can't argue OPINIONS, but THIS isn't really an opinionated topic. THE JOKER was played TERRIBLY by Jack Nicholson. That isn't UP FOR DEBATE!!! Anyone who reads any of the Bat titles KNOWS THIS!!! angry.gif

It isn't POSSIBLE!!! Nicholson DESTROYED the character of the Joker. It was a freakin' sin. How can anyone actually say that Jack played JOKER well??? Jack's a great actor... i'll give him that. But he didn't study the character he was playing at ALL. He went with this ridiculous idea of what HE thought was the Joker, and he was f***ing DEAD WRONG.

yes.gif

goodpost.gif

Take it easy big guy. It's just treeduck's opinion that no one will outdo Jack as Joker. His opinion. Not fact. I remember when we both first got on the board a bit over a year ago...I said something similar to what treeduck's saying now (about the SAME topic) and you nearly ripped my throat out (at least that's what it seemed like). It didn't bother me then or now but it did seem like you were COMING THROUGH the computer ready to mash someone's skull.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 10 2006, 06:48 AM)

Bad choice...  yes.gif

OY VEY.

yes.gif

goodpost.gif

Take it easy big guy. It's just treeduck's opinion that no one will outdo Jack as Joker. His opinion. Not fact. I remember when we both first got on the board a bit over a year ago...I said something similar to what treeduck's saying now (about the SAME topic) and you nearly ripped my throat out (at least that's what it seemed like). It didn't bother me then or now but it did seem like you were COMING THROUGH the computer ready to mash someone's skull.

Yeah???? What R U trying to say???

z7shysterical.gif

I take my Batman very seriously, and SO SHOULD EVERYONE!!!

I mean... no movie can adapt a literary character perfectly, but you just don't have the license to change all that is intrinsic to a character as strong as JOKER.

Joker is twisted. He's off the wall. His mind is CHAOS. No matter how much he horrifies you with what he does, and no matter how many times you wish Bats would just end him permanently... you almost have to forgive him because his mind is just SOOOOOO far beyond insane. Which I believe is why Bats HAS left him live for so long.

I think Cesar Romero played the part better than Jack. He actually captured nuances of Joker that comic fans could grasp. As horrible as that show was, I'll respect Romero over Nicholson any day. yes.gif

Jack's Joker was too clever. Too thought out. Too MEAN. JOKER's atrocities may be horrifying, but when he does them... he laughs. Jack played the character pissed. That doesn't happen often. And when it does... he's more dangerous than anything that Jack could ever come up with.

Well JB... i wound up good friends with you, so maybe Treeduck won't take it too personal. laugh.gif

I just hate the Nicholson Joker.

Eagerly awaiting Ledger's attempt. BUT... also scared. I am hoping for the same thrill I got from the first movie, in that it is done RIGHT. yes.gif

Jack is more a behavourist kind of actor, you know Jack is just, well, Jack...

I wouldn't have picked him to play the Joker in the first place, in fact Michael Keaton would have been more suited to the role...

But Heath Ledger? C'mon there's no way this guy is gonna be any good as Joker... Why pick him of all the actors they could choose? It's almost as bad as picking Keanu Reeves to play Jonathan Harker in BSD...

What does anyone think of Caesar Romero's Joker? The series was a camp joke but Caesar did a good job I would reckon...

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 10 2006, 04:01 PM)

Bad choice...  yes.gif

OY VEY.

yes.gif

goodpost.gif

z7shysterical.gif

I mean... no movie can adapt a literary character perfectly, but you just don't have the license to change all that is intrinsic to a character as strong as JOKER.

Joker is twisted. He's off the wall. His mind is CHAOS. No matter how much he horrifies you with what he does, and no matter how many times you wish Bats would just end him permanently... you almost have to forgive him because his mind is just SOOOOOO far beyond insane. Which I believe is why Bats HAS left him live for so long.

I think Cesar Romero played the part better than Jack. He actually captured nuances of Joker that comic fans could grasp. As horrible as that show was, I'll respect Romero over Nicholson any day. yes.gif

Jack's Joker was too clever. Too thought out. Too MEAN. JOKER's atrocities may be horrifying, but when he does them... he laughs. Jack played the character pissed. That doesn't happen often. And when it does... he's more dangerous than anything that Jack could ever come up with.

Well JB... i wound up good friends with you, so maybe Treeduck won't take it too personal. laugh.gif

Eagerly awaiting Ledger's attempt. BUT... also scared. I am hoping for the same thrill I got from the first movie, in that it is done RIGHT. yes.gif

Oh sorry I missed your bit about Caesar, yeah he was more like a proper Joker than Jack... Jack was too Jack... (as I mentioned above)...

Jack was too...he kind of reverted to his New York/New Jersey upbringing, jack was too Joisey to be the Joker and he was too...Jack

Jack is great though there's no doubting that...

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 11 2006, 06:01 AM)

Bad choice...  yes.gif

OY VEY.

yes.gif

goodpost.gif

z7shysterical.gif

I just imagined the Hulk screaming and smashing things left and right while Rick Jones stands his ground in front of him saying "Take it easy big fella." I'm sure that you understand the analogy. laugh.gif

"Hulk smash anyone that doesn't take Batman seriously or thought Nicholson played a good Joker !!!!" wink.gif

But anyways, your analysis of Jack playing the Joker too pissed when he often isn't that way in the comics seems correct. However, have you ever thought that that's what Tim Burton told him to do? I don't know. It's just an idea. Burton could've have just said, "Okay Jack, just act crazy and pissed." After all, it was Burton's interpretation (which he didn't research in the first place) of the characters. You could say the same thing about Jack but Tim was at the helm.

Have any other villains been mentioned being associated with this movie? I'd guess that there'd be multiple baddies once again for this next one.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 10 2006, 06:16 PM)

But Heath Ledger? C'mon there's no way this guy is gonna be any good as Joker... Why pick him of all the actors they could choose? It's almost as bad as picking Keanu Reeves to play Jonathan Harker in BSD...

That's the thing. People are already saying Ledger isn't going to be a good Joker WHEN THEY HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN WHAT HE CAN DO YET. Ledger's never played this kind of role before so it will be very interesting to see how he approaches the character.

The one thing we do know about this incarnation of the Joker is that Nolan will do it right. We aren't going to get some colorful, laughing, clown, but instead a dark, twisted, psychopath. As previously stated (numerous times that is) Jack Nicholson was no Joker. And also as I previously stated, we haven't even seen what Ledger can do yet, and people are already saying he's a horrible choice.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Aug 10 2006, 09:10 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 10 2006, 06:16 PM)

That's the thing. People are already saying Ledger isn't going to be a good Joker WHEN THEY HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN WHAT HE CAN DO YET. Ledger's never played this kind of role before so it will be very interesting to see how he approaches the character.

The one thing we do know about this incarnation of the Joker is that Nolan will do it right. We aren't going to get some colorful, laughing, clown, but instead a dark, twisted, psychopath. As previously stated (numerous times that is) Jack Nicholson was no Joker. And also as I previously stated, we haven't even seen what Ledger can do yet, and people are already saying he's a horrible choice.

When making films/movies you don't wait till shooting starts to find out what people can do...

Personally for a big picture like this I'd want someone tried and tested in this kind of role, they seem to have picked Ledger on the back of his success in Brokeback Mountain, ie they're more concerned with choosing someone likely to put bums on seats than whether he's the best choice...

Christian Bale has proved how good he is in several types of roles so when they chose him for Batman I had no qualms whatsoever...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 10 2006, 10:17 PM)

When making films/movies you don't wait till shooting starts to find out what people can do...

Personally for a big picture like this I'd want someone tried and tested in this kind of role, they seem to have picked Ledger on the back of his success in Brokeback Mountain, ie they're more concerned with choosing someone likely to put bums on seats than whether he's the best choice...

Not really. Nolan had actually been meeting with Ledger secretly for months about the role. Apparently he saw something in him that nobody else has. Now, I'm not saying Ledger is the best choice for the role (I was actually tossed up on Paul Bettany and Lachy Hulme), but I can't see the point in saying "He's going to be horrible" when there's nothing we can judge him on.

Now... bring on the casting for Harvey Dent.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 12 2006, 02:08 AM)
QUOTE (kazzman @ Aug 11 2006, 11:31 AM)

Now... bring on the casting for Harvey Dent.

Who'd you cast as Dent?

And what other characters have been mentioned as being in this installment?

Liev Schrieber.

Other characters rumored to be in the film are Oswald Cobblepot, aka The Penguin; Roman Sionis aka Black Mask. And there's also been rumors that Rachel Weiss is up for the female lead in the film and there's been a lot of fan speculation that she'll either play Selina Kyle or Talia Al Ghul who's looking for revenge against Batman for the death of her father.

I've also heard that Philip Seymour Hoffman is a favorite for the Penguin.

I'm really looking forward to this.

I remember people getting pissed off that Tobey MacGuire was going to be Spiderman. When the movie came out no one complained anymore.

It's like putting Topher Grace as Eddie brock/Venom. It might not seem like obvious choice, but that is often a good thing.

I imagine Ledger will do a good job. And I've always felt the same way about Jack's performance, overblown.

Edited by Signals1982