Frank Zappa discussing censorship

Slime

I haven't heard a note of his music, which is probably the wrong thing to say around these parts wink.gif. I'd like to, but where would I start with a guy who has released at least sixty albums?

He does have way too many albums...some of his most accessible, and therefore best places to start:

Freak Out

We're Only in It for the Money

Hot Rats

Joe's Garage

Apostrophe'

But his music is seriously all over the place. Probably the only musician of the rock era who truly, unquestionably, legitemately deserves the title of "genius."

And his book, "The Real Frank Zappa Book," should be required reading for anybody interested in music.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jul 24 2006, 05:15 PM)
He does have way too many albums...some of his most accessible, and therefore best places to start:

Freak Out
Hot Rats
Joe's Garage
Apostrophe'

But his music is seriously all over the place. Probably the only musician of the rock era who truly, unquestionably, legitemately deserves the title of "genius."

And his book, "The Real Frank Zappa Book," should be required reading for anybody interested in music.

PuppetKing, I did not know you were a Zappa fan.

Anyway, I have 3 out of the 5 you mentioned, I need Apostrophe & Joe's Garage. I would definitely recommend Hot Rats as a starting point. I've heard some tunes from Joe's Garage but a newcomer may be turned off by the dirty lyrics, but I personally find them to be funny, probably because I'm younger than most people here. I also agree that he deserves the title of genius. How he created all of that music blows my mind. I still need more than half of his albums on CD.

QUOTE (Rush! @ Jul 24 2006, 04:40 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jul 24 2006, 05:15 PM)

Freak Out
Hot Rats
Joe's Garage
Apostrophe'

PuppetKing, I did not know you were a Zappa fan.

Anyway, I have 3 out of the 5 you mentioned, I need Apostrophe & Joe's Garage. I would definitely recommend Hot Rats as a starting point. I've heard some tunes from Joe's Garage but a newcomer may be turned off by the dirty lyrics, but I personally find them to be funny, probably because I'm younger than most people here. I also agree that he deserves the title of genius. How he created all of that music blows my mind. I still need more than half of his albums on CD.

You shuold see if they have "The Real Frank Zappa Book" at the library too.

Even people who don't like Zappa should read that.

I own one Zappa album "Zootallures"

Disturbing(The torture never stops) Humorous (Miss Pinky) of course that could be considered disturbing as well! laugh.gif And really rocks The instrumental Black Napkins.

Archived