last song/riff/rhythm learned?

QUOTE (spitball @ Dec 8 2007, 04:13 PM)
QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Dec 5 2007, 04:57 PM)
Been working on The Camera Eye solo... Not quite as difficult as I expected. But I should shut my mouth. The next part is probably the part that catches me out. laugh.gif

To play The Camera Eye, you need a guitar some serious sustain. I'm referring to the early part of the song where the synth plays the repeating eight notes and Alex strikes a D-flat note or whatever, and it just rings for about four measures without decaying.

That's before the solo yeah?

I usually learn the solos first because they're often the most difficult part and there's nothing worst than spending a week learning a tune in order to find you get to the solo are are blown away. Whereas if the solo is too difficult you can jump ship early and move onto something else without wasting too much time.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bumper.gif

had a go at the emotion detector solo, not the easiest solo by lifeson! he knows (knew?) how to write a complex solo. maybe one of his better solos, at least from the 80s.

still working on the little run at 4:03 till 4:06. my fingers are a bit sore now

QUOTE (mortkort @ Feb 22 2010, 09:28 AM)
bumper.gif

had a go at the emotion detector solo, not the easiest solo by lifeson! he knows (knew?) how to write a complex solo. maybe one of his better solos, at least from the 80s.

still working on the little run at 4:03 till 4:06. my fingers are a bit sore now

LOL, MEGABUMP!! biggrin.gif

Thanks, didn't know this thread even existed!! trink39.gif

Good luck with nailing it smile.gif

Finishing up the NatScience solos AlexFinal.gif

QUOTE (King Rygar @ Dec 8 2007, 11:04 AM)
Well, I just bought my first bass (5-String OLP) about 5 months ago and I just finally mastered "Roll the Bones" and "The Pass" a few days ago. The first song I learned on bass was my most favorite Rush song, "Middletown Dreams"...

I have been playing guitar for 15+ years and just recently picked up a bass. IT"S A BLAST!!!!

Roll the Bones is by far the most fun though, and with a 5-string you can do the low notes during the rap part laugh.gif

My first bass riff was Fly By Night

last thing i worked up was the solo of freewill.

its pretty close, but i usually improvise the fast meedly meedly parts.

today i'm going to work up the last long bass fill in YYZ;

the bassist in my fledgling rush tribute is blind, and can't seem to nail it.

so, i'm going to learn it and help him memorize it. part of his problem is

that he's not playing it in one position, he's trying to play it by switching

positions. i watched some rush video the other day, seems geddy is doing it mostly around the 15th fret.

i'm kinda new around here, so i'll share this lick from several years back. i use a lot of symetrical fingerings, they are easy and help break you out of the same old scales/licks;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/brooks/lick.jpg

ok, for some reason unknown to me,

i worked up wayne krantz' "whippersnapper" this weekend

(strange, as i almost never work up stuff that i'm not gonna play live or record; i'm lazy).

I was actually playing some keyboard parts on my guitar from Steve Hackett's song "Ace Of Wands". Then I learned the last guitar section. The one that goes like:

e|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|-------11--------13~-----16-16-16--13-13-13------------------------|
D|-13-14-----13-14-----------------------------13-13-13--------------|
A|-------------------------------------------------------14-14-14----|
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

QUOTE (Ted Barchetta @ Mar 3 2010, 01:09 AM)
Turn The Page on Bass

alot easier to play than people lead on.

I think what makes that bass line potentially challenging is the prospect of singing THAT vocal part over it. It's a busy and punchy 6/8 bass line with an easy-going legato vocal line over it. Two different feels at the same time. Then again, I'm neither a bassist nor a vocalist, so maybe it's not such a big deal. Just seems like it would take some extra practice to get both parts working together.

QUOTE (Tarkus407 @ Mar 3 2010, 10:14 AM)
The most recent thing I learned was the guitar solo in The Camera Eye

I absolutely love that solo. I know a ton of people for God knows why really don't like that song but it gets the biggest response of all of the songs we play.

Just remember to (assuming you are using a Strat or a copy) start the solo on the neck pickup and as you go through the solo flip it to the bridge pickup. If you listen on the album you'll hear when that happens. Nice trick and sound awesome.

Edited by ChroniclesOfRush

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 3 2010, 12:59 PM)
QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Mar 3 2010, 08:32 AM)
...with some boning up on The Weapon....

Like we REALLY needed to know that? Perv...

tongue.gif

ohmy.gif

Go easy killer. Like you've never used your bone as a Weapon.....all lies.

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Mar 3 2010, 01:45 PM)

I absolutely love that solo. I know a ton of people for God knows why really don't like that song but it gets the biggest response of all of the songs we play.

Just remember to (assuming you are using a Strat or a copy) start the solo on the neck pickup and as you go through the solo flip it to the bridge pickup. If you listen on the album you'll hear when that happens. Nice trick and sound awesome.

I'm usin a Schecter. I never really liked strats. They sound cool but I find them soo uncomfortable to play. Though I've only played a few, the ones I have played had a flat fingerboard and a really chunky neck (I like slim necks) A floyd rose would be a plus, too wink.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus407 @ Mar 3 2010, 04:33 PM)

I'm usin a Schecter. I never really liked strats. They sound cool but I find them soo uncomfortable to play. Though I've only played a few, the ones I have played had a flat fingerboard and a really chunky neck (I like slim necks) A floyd rose would be a plus, too wink.gif

I'm 1000% with you there. I cannot stand Strats. The only good Fender in my opinion is a Tele. Just picked up a 52 re-issue and man that thing is badassed. I use my old 1980 Charvel active for songs of that era. Charvels used to be called the SuperStrat back in the day.

And I really don't care what people say about Shecter guitars. You really can't beat them for the price. Most are 24 frets, comfortable as ten f*****s and come with a pretty slick look. As a lower tier axe you really can't go wrong.

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Mar 3 2010, 06:23 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus407 @ Mar 3 2010, 04:33 PM)

I'm 1000% with you there. I cannot stand Strats. The only good Fender in my opinion is a Tele. Just picked up a 52 re-issue and man that thing is badassed. I use my old 1980 Charvel active for songs of that era. Charvels used to be called the SuperStrat back in the day.

And I really don't care what people say about Shecter guitars. You really can't beat them for the price. Most are 24 frets, comfortable as ten f*****s and come with a pretty slick look. As a lower tier axe you really can't go wrong.

Absolutely, I gotta say I love the way the my schecter looks. It's a black C1-FR with a white border, and I put my own dice knobs on it (im thinkin of decorating it in a Roll the Bones theme)

I'm also thinking someday about putting some different pickups in it, but I haven't figured out what I'm looking for in that area yet. Right now I have the "duncan designed" active pickups. They're not bad, but somehow I feel they were meant for "shredding". Other than that, I'm not too fussy about the Floyd Rose set-up being a mock-up of a real floyd rose. Works the same, anyway.

I mainly bought that guitar to play 80's Rush. I needed it for the Floyd Rose and my buddy was selling it for less than 200 bucks, since it had large chip on the side (like I give a f**k about that laugh.gif )

My other two guitars are fixed bridges. Good for 70's and 90's/00's stuff. The cheapy is a titanium ESP EX-50, and the other is a black Epiphone '58 Explorer. Both guitars are comfortable and sound decent.

Sorry, I love guitars tongue.gif

I just wish I could afford them laugh.gif

I'm working on Bowie's "Starman" ... I have all the parts down, but have to learn to play them all in sequence now. Cool song with a few weird chords (to me anyways) and an abstract strumming pattern.

I am now in the middle of learning the first "Hemispheres" guitar solo.

Pretty easy so far.