I need new music!

Slime

QUOTE (Slime @ Jun 20 2006, 12:34 PM)
30 seconds to mars - 30 seconds to mars
the postal service - give up

sweet smile.gif hope you enjoy them. they're very different sonically, and stylistically, but great. and kiss me, kiss me, kiss me is probably up your alley, if you like disintegration

if you're looking for samples:

30 seconds to mars

give up

ETA: damnit, now i have why can't i be you stuck in my head fing.gif

In case you can't find any of them, there's a band called Coheed and Cambria that is quite good. The singer sounds quite similar to Geddy Lee and they have quite a progressive streak in them. I'd recommend buying an album called In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 first. It has a song called 21:13, and when they wrote, they apparently hadn't heard of Rush z7shysterical.gif I really don't believe that...

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jun 20 2006, 04:38 PM)
In case you can't find any of them, there's a band called Coheed and Cambria that is quite good. The singer sounds quite similar to Geddy Lee and they have quite a progressive streak in them. I'd recommend buying an album called In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 first. It has a song called 21:13, and when they wrote, they apparently hadn't heard of Rush z7shysterical.gif I really don't believe that...

Check these guys out too/

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 20 2006, 04:45 PM)
QUOTE (Slime @ Jun 20 2006, 11:34 AM)

good choice!

Yea, plus with jared Leto as lead singer you cant go wrong! YUM!

I hate Coheed and Cambria! Cant stand them! My kid makes me listen all the time, UGH!

QUOTE (pixey @ Jun 20 2006, 09:13 PM)

good choice!

shhhhhhhhhhhhh, i was going to spring that on him after he listened to the album joker.gif

seriously, i heard the album before i knew that leto was the frontman and i was stunned at the news... i had no idea he was that talented. i've seen them live a few times and they put on an amazing show. i even have an autographed "mars army girl" shirt. leto is a surprisingly nice guy for all of his fame and he was very cool talking with the fans.

QUOTE (pixey @ Jun 20 2006, 08:13 PM)

good choice!

I hate Coheed and Cambria! Cant stand them! My kid makes me listen all the time, UGH!

Dude, you can stand Geddy's voice, but not Claudio's? confused13.gif

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jun 20 2006, 08:47 PM)
QUOTE (pixey @ Jun 20 2006, 08:13 PM)

good choice!

Dude, you can stand Geddy's voice, but not Claudio's? confused13.gif

Claudio's is much, much whinier and emo-ish than Geddy's. Geddy's is more natural.

Agreed Puppet. They sound as if they arent sure if they want to be Prog, metal or emo. They combination is one that I just dont like. Plus I just dont like the way they sound, good musicians but I dont like their music.

Love - Forever Changes (1967)

This is quite simply my favorite album of all time. I came out the psychedelic era, my favorite genre of all.

The first thing that struck me about this album was the great instrumentation and production, and that the lyrics were a bit odd, sometimes seemingly bordering on silly in places. In actuality, the lyrics are brilliant and have a LOT to say, but they are very deceptive. What the lyrics seem to be on the surface and what they are when you really think about it are often very different. They are actually incredibly deep and meaningful. I read that Arthur Lee, the leader of the group, was convinced he was soon going to die (he's still alive 39 years later laugh.gif ) and wanted to say everything he possibly could in one album. Fortunately he was a genius and had a lot of great things to say.

This album is fairly heavily produced with strings and even some brass. Normally I find this can often be a deterrent, trying to cover up mediocre material with a lot of fanfare to make it seem more than it is. This is not the case here. Everything added on in the production just adds to the brilliance of this album, and since the music and lyrics at the core underneath it is so great, it holds up. This is not to say the music is fluffy in any way, as it still rocks hard in places and the electric guitar is killer and used to great effect.

It's also an album that has aged very, very well. While it speaks to the time it was recorded, the themes are universal enough that they still speak to me today. Songs simply do NOT get better than Alone Again Or, The Red Telephone or You Set The Scene.

The available cd has some great bonus tracks too (and usually I find bonus tracks annoying) including their INCREDIBLE post-Forever Changes single (Your Mind And We Belong Together / Laughing Stock).

You can't go wrong with this album. Genius. yes.gif

of course i decided to read the entire thread AFTER my post, so i see i'm already too late? unsure.gif sad.gif

still, get the above mentioned album ANYWAY, even if it takes you awhile to get around to it and please let me know what you think of it. yes.gif smile.gif

QUOTE (pixey @ Jun 21 2006, 08:32 AM)
Agreed Puppet. They sound as if they arent sure if they want to be Prog, metal or emo. They combination is one that I just dont like. Plus I just dont like the way they sound, good musicians but I dont like their music.

They are definitely not emo. All their albums are based on a storyline about a post-apocalyptic world and the guy that is the main character for a while (Coheed) has a virus called the Monstar that would've been activated at a certain point when he looked at his wife, Cambria. They were ordered to kill their 4 children named Josephine, Claudio, Matthew, and Maria because they had a more serious form of the virus called the Sinstar. They got Josephine, Matthew, and Maria, but Claudio was not killed. Coheed and Cambria were killed, which made Claudio a sort of messiah. The people that ordered Coheed and Cambria to kill their children were actually evil and wanted to invade the world. It's really complicated, you have to read the comics and listen to the albums.

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jun 21 2006, 12:10 PM)

They are definitely not emo. All their albums are based on a storyline about a post-apocalyptic world and the guy that is the main character for a while (Coheed) has a virus called the Monstar that would've been activated at a certain point when he looked at his wife, Cambria. They were ordered to kill their 4 children named Josephine, Claudio, Matthew, and Maria because they had a more serious form of the virus called the Sinstar. They got Josephine, Matthew, and Maria, but Claudio was not killed. Coheed and Cambria were killed, which made Claudio a sort of messiah. The people that ordered Coheed and Cambria to kill their children were actually evil and wanted to invade the world. It's really complicated, you have to read the comics and listen to the albums.

I'm not going to read a f***ing comic book to try to get into a band.

I'll add some stuff thats definitely obscure for this forum:

Any Dave Alvin Album...An American Masterpiece, he is. One of those songwriters and musicians that other songwriters and musicians talk about.Try "Ashgrove" or "BlackJack David". Also any of the Blasters stuff that he is involved with, great rockabilly, not the fake Stray Cats crap.

The Chameleons, a great underappreciated 80's band from Manchester. The only thing really readily available is "Strange Times". With their most well known song "Swamp Thing".

Tindersticks: Lush, dark and humorous, mix Nick Cave with Belle and Sebastian. Either of the first two albums (Both called "Tindersticks")

Someone already mentioned New Model Army, but Justin Sullivan's(The lead singer and songwriter) solo album is great IMHO. Its called "Navigating by the Stars"

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jun 21 2006, 03:10 PM)

whatever. I just listen to the music, not the storyline.

Archived