Frickin' finally!

Jack Aubrey

I also popped in the ol' VHS copy, inspired by this thread. It's such a great movie.

I remember watching it in the theater when it came out, with a group of friends from work. We were howling, and a girl I worked with smacked my knee at one point. The scenes that elicited the most hysterics from the audience: the deaths of the three doggies (and Ken's horrored reaction to each), and Otto ("Mr. Manfredjensendren") speaking to Wendy Leach after she came home early from the opera. The audience was laughing so hard, we missed some of the dialogue.

QUOTE (TheTrinity @ Jun 7 2006, 02:29 AM)
I think laughing at people with stutters is just so wrong. *sniff* biggrin.gif

I guess no one here has friends or family afflicted with stuttering, so no ones gonna post anything bad about this thread.

Whoever said the internet had balance or made sense? confused13.gif

Most people arent even aware of their own hypocrisy. wacko.gif

...... damned funny movie though scared.gif wait... can I say that here?

QUOTE (CellarTroll @ Jun 8 2006, 03:16 AM)
QUOTE (TheTrinity @ Jun 7 2006, 02:29 AM)
I think laughing at people with stutters is just so wrong. *sniff* biggrin.gif

I guess no one here has friends or family afflicted with stuttering, so no ones gonna post anything bad about this thread.

Whoever said the internet had balance or made sense? confused13.gif

Most people arent even aware of their own hypocrisy. wacko.gif

...... damned funny movie though scared.gif wait... can I say that here?

Obviously this is aimed at me because of the Tourette's thread sarcasm.gif

...Michael Palin was playing a character who happens to stutter...he was not a real stutterer (Palin's father was though)...People aren't laughing at him because he was a stutterer...rather people are laughing at the stuttering in context of the movie( a fictional movie no less)...It also helped to make Kline's character despicible more than he is...SATIRE

You TheTrinity on the other hand stated you thought the condition of Tourette's was funny in of itself...you think it is great to laugh at real people with the condition just because they have that condition. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Due to this movie Michael Palin opened a clinic to help kids with stuttering issues....His father was a stutterer as I mentioned before....I also believe though it is a comedy Palin shows how frustrating such a condition can be and how people can be such assholes(Kline's character) when they get on their case about it...SATIRE

I guarantee the people who brought up the stuttering scenes in this thread would never say they would laugh at a REAL person who stutters...

Many disablilites (as well as race and sexual orientation) have been displayed in comedies in a satirical way to explain how ugly and stupid ignorance really is...for example Blazing Saddles(racism)...Ringer (mentally disabled people)..Even to a certain extent Forrest Gump...many other examples

Once again there is a huge difference between satirical portrayal of disablities in movies and actually laughing at people just because they have that disability.

I have a physical disability myself (which I choose to keep personal and no it's not Tourette's) and I have seen it portrayed in comedies and I didn't have a problem with it....I do however have issues with people who merely laugh at my condition just because they think it is funny in of itself. Believe me I've dealt with my share of ignorant assholes.

This is the last thing I'm saying anything about this because the Tourette's thread was closed and it was pointless to drag it over here.

1) I never posted in that thread. You damned liar.

2) I am NOT The Trinity..you damned liar.

Sorry, but to me, your points are now invalid because you just proved you'll say anything to come out on top. dazed025.gif

See ya in pm's.

QUOTE (CellarTroll @ Jun 8 2006, 11:29 PM)

Sorry, but to me, your points are now invalid because you just proved you'll say anything to come out on top. dazed025.gif

See ya in pm's.

Where did Test say either of those things to YOU?

I really love this movie....I think he part that Kevin Kline plays was written by John Cleese? Some of the mannerism, I thought, were in Fawlty Towers. Anyway, I'm glad this came out & I'm surprised at how many people really like it.... laugh.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 8 2006, 10:27 PM)
1)  I never posted in that thread.  You damned liar.
2)  I am NOT The Trinity..you damned liar.

Sorry, but to me, your points are now invalid because you just proved you'll say anything to come out on top.    dazed025.gif

See ya in pm's.

*sigh...*

You TheTrinity on the other hand stated you thought the condition of Tourette's was funny in of itself...you think it is great to laugh at real people with the condition just because they have that condition. BIG DIFFERENCE.

***edit.... usually when somone quotes you, they are talking to you. He did NOT quote Trin , but me. Lets not be confused here..... he qouted me and said "YOU THE TRINITY." I qouted Trin. Either he was talking to me or he should lay of the booze.

This is the last post i will make about this.... if you want to discuss it pm me.

Edited by CellarTroll

So, when this comes out, how many people are going to get it...wish I could sad.gif

See ya in pm's.

Never said you posted in that thread and I never said you were TheTrinity...I was merely pointing out the differnce between laughing at something in a movie and laughing at a real person..of course IMO.

Also not once in this thread did I refer to the stuttering scenes though it is obvious TheTrinity was trying to pull the hypocrisy angle on me. That is why I posted what I did.

Thanks for the ranting PM but you got me all figured wrong.

QUOTE (CellarTroll @ Jun 9 2006, 02:34 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 8 2006, 10:27 PM)
1)  I never posted in that thread.  You damned liar.
2)  I am NOT The Trinity..you damned liar.

Sorry, but to me, your points are now invalid because you just proved you'll say anything to come out on top.    dazed025.gif

See ya in pm's.

*sigh...*

***edit.... usually when somone quotes you, they are talking to you. He did NOT quote Trin , but me. Lets not be confused here..... he qouted me and said "YOU THE TRINITY." I qouted Trin. Either he was talking to me or he should lay of the booze.

This is the last post i will make about this.... if you want to discuss it pm me.

WRONG

Maybe I should've directly quoted TheTrinity but the fact of the matter is both posts were dealing with the same thing and thus both were quoted....Therefore I responded accordingly...If I meant that statement for you as well I would have typed your name but alas I didn't so RELAX. You would think by typing TheTrinity's name that you would see I was addressing him and not you...

You've completely misunderstood and the booze comment is pretty lame..

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

MY apologies, but it sure as hell looked to me like you were callin me out as an alter. I guess my assumption was that someone with near 18,000 posts could figure out how to quote properly, or speak clearly.

Also, I would assume that a sincere pm would be considered a good faith gesture despite the content... I never called you names nor was an ass, ..got you all wrong wtf ? I only gave my explaination & my opinion on the subject at hand, & I could have easily posted it, but i was under the impression you were "done here". Sorry for trying to tone it down on the board. And thank you so much for responding to my pm in public.

You are a credit to your board.

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 9 2006, 12:46 AM)
So, when this comes out, how many people are going to get it...wish I could sad.gif

I will definately buy a copy !

1022.gif common001.gif 1022.gif

Wow. Can we get back to talking about this amazingly funny movie again?

I probably won't buy it on the release date, but will try to remember to put it on my Christmas list.

I think the part that Kevin Kline plays was written by John Cleese? Some of the mannerisms, I thought, were in Fawlty Towers.

Cleese certainly wrote the dialogue, but I think a lot of the mannerisms were added by Kline himself... particularly that unexplained thing he has about sniffing his armpit! (What was that about??) LOL. Kline probably added a lot to the role, including the delivery of Cleese's written lines, and he (Kline) won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for the part.

QUOTE (CellarTroll @ Jun 9 2006, 05:12 AM)
MY apologies, but it sure as hell looked to me like you were callin me out as an alter. I guess my assumption was that someone with near 18,000 posts could figure out how to quote properly, or speak clearly.

Also, I would assume that a sincere pm would be considered a good faith gesture despite the content... I never called you names nor was an ass, ..got you all wrong wtf ? I only gave my explaination & my opinion on the subject at hand, & I could have easily posted it, but i was under the impression you were "done here". Sorry for trying to tone it down on the board. And thank you so much for responding to my pm in public.

You are a credit to your board.

Where the hell did I reply to your pm here???? I was replying to your posts! wacko.gif

Who called me a "damned liar"? Who made a comment about "laying off the booze"?

And now you are saying I don't quote right or speak clearly??? I mean apology accepted but is it really an apology when you throw that stuff in???

You know I could easily post your pm here but that is very frowned upon on here and I wouldn't stoop to that level..No u didn't call me names but you accused me of some things which are absolutely NOT true.

nice try....an "apology" yet added insults to throw my way sarcasm.gif

I haven't had a chance to reply to your pm as you wrote a frigging novel and need time to think of a proper response. Again I say where did I reply to your pm? All I said was you got me all figured wrong because bottom line, you do not know me at all.

As far as being a credit to this board; I'm not perfect but my reputation speaks for itself.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 9 2006, 06:09 AM)
Wow. Can we get back to talking about this amazingly funny movie again?

I probably won't buy it on the release date, but will try to remember to put it on my Christmas list.

I think the part that Kevin Kline plays was written by John Cleese? Some of the mannerisms, I thought, were in Fawlty Towers.

Cleese certainly wrote the dialogue, but I think a lot of the mannerisms were added by Kline himself... particularly that unexplained thing he has about sniffing his armpit! (What was that about??) LOL. Kline probably added a lot to the role, including the delivery of Cleese's written lines, and he (Kline) won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for the part.

He deserved the award! Kline is a great actor...the sniffing the armpit, every so often I'll do that to catch friends off guard rofl3.gif

Over all the movie was funny as hell!! It just seemed like Cleese might have had some input to the character....Although, Archie was 100% Cleese!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/B000IONJJ2.jpg

In 15 days the lo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ng wait will finally be over!