No new Rush this year

Presto-digitation

QUOTE (R.G @ May 23 2006, 07:10 AM)
sad.gif not such good news. I'm just worried that the long they leave it the more problems they might have performing due to age etc.

no.gif They are all fit and to my eyes, look great for their age. No worries about performing from them even if the tour doesn't start until next spring. That would put them all at 53!! Geez, I'm only 15 years off from that age and I don't plan on being in a walker then!!! 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Rushgirl @ May 23 2006, 10:13 PM)
QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ May 23 2006, 06:00 AM)
Ya know, somebody's gotta say it: Rush apparently cares more about money than they do entertaining their fans. Not that it; a bad cause, but why don't they earn those tens of millions in revenue by doing another album and a tour? They aren't getting any younger, either...

I'd have to totally disagree with this. RUSH are doing a new album and tour, but in their own time. They have always done it this way and won't change now. Why does not churning out a new album in FAN time standards make them care more about money??? If they did care more about money than creative integrity, they would churn out a sub-standard release every year, tour for long periods and burn themselves out - they don't!!

They are in their early 50's now and seem to be enjoying a more relaxing way of life, enjoying their families, friends, hobbies and pursuits and for my .02 worth, as long as there is a new album and tour in the works, I'm VERY happy with that.

I agree with Rushgirl on this one. They always seemed to have made an album on their own terms (with excellent results). I have no problems with this formula.

QUOTE (Rushgirl @ May 23 2006, 08:15 AM)

I'm only 15 years off from that age and I don't plan on being in a walker then!!! 1022.gif 2.gif

No, Rushgirl will not be with a walker then, but lets peer into the future.....

http://sentinel.phpwebhosting.com/old%20lady.jpg

See she was right! No walker!!! But she is still hot in 15 years.

QUOTE (ouchithurts @ May 23 2006, 08:26 AM)

I'm only 15 years off from that age and I don't plan on being in a walker then!!! 1022.gif  2.gif

Geez, ouchie I don't even have on my R-30 jacket!!! I must have forgot my RUSH kercheif too!!! Plus I don't see a Sleeman's in my hand!!

I'm glad they're coming up with a new album at some point, but I must say I miss the days of an album every year or year and a half. I can understand why so long (6 years) between T4E and VT with all the tragedies, but 5 more years for another one is a LONG wait. I know they did Feedback, and R30 and all kinds of live stuff, but an album of original material is what I and many others have been waiting for.

I guess they're just getting older, slowing down, don't feel like they have anything to prove, don't need the money, etc. That's great for them, but it kind of sucks for the fans. In their first 17 years they released 13 studio albums, and in their second 17, the new one will make 5 studio albums of original material.

I guess we should be grateful for what we can get. They're interested in making new albums when they feel like it. Unfortunately, they only feel like it every 5 years or so. sad.gif

This could very well be their last album too, or if there's another one, it'll be several years on down the road...

QUOTE (Rushgirl @ May 23 2006, 08:29 AM)
QUOTE (ouchithurts @ May 23 2006, 08:26 AM)

I'm only 15 years off from that age and I don't plan on being in a walker then!!! 1022.gif  2.gif

Geez, ouchie I don't even have on my R-30 jacket!!! I must have forgot my RUSH kercheif too!!! Plus I don't see a Sleeman's in my hand!!

Yeah but you have bloomers with an R45 logo on the crotch and a drool cup with the 2.gif on it.

I think at this stage we're all very lucky they're still making music and touring at all....ESPECIALLY given that Neil's heartbreaking circumstances could've easily ended the band altogether.

Perspective people. smile.gif It's easy to become spoiled by that yearly or every two year cycle, which does indeed slow down for almost ALL bands with time. Most bands create madly in their prime...then that becomes every other year...and then every few years.

Believe me, it's even tougher being a Kiss fan right now...where the band just won't record new music together at all. '98 was the last and only three studio albums since '89 with none on the cooker. That is depressing. And while Rush hasn't had many more in that period, they also went through a horrible thing too. (Kiss did too, but they're whores and wasted little time after Eric Carr's death. Rush properly grieved. You can add at least one record in their had that not happened to them).

First of the new year actually sounds closer to me than not. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Rushgirl @ May 23 2006, 08:13 AM)
Ya know, somebody's gotta say it: Rush apparently cares more about money than they do entertaining their fans. Not that it; a bad cause, but why don't they earn those tens of millions in revenue by doing another album and a tour? They aren't getting any younger, either...

I'd have to totally disagree with this. RUSH are doing a new album and tour, but in their own time. They have always done it this way and won't change now. Why does not churning out a new album in FAN time standards make them care more about money??? If they did care more about money than creative integrity, they would churn out a sub-standard release every year, tour for long periods and burn themselves out - they don't!!

They are in their early 50's now and seem to be enjoying a more relaxing way of life, enjoying their families, friends, hobbies and pursuits and for my .02 worth, as long as there is a new album and tour in the works, I'm VERY happy with that.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Rushgirl @ May 23 2006, 08:13 AM)

goodpost.gif

Very well put. My thoughts exactly! biggrin.gif

Plus, I think they've EARNED the luxury of taking their time and choosing to work the way they want to work. They're not machines, ya know? wink.gif

I guess more than anything (and please don't slay me for my opinion) I'm hoping for a truly great consistent album. I don't think they've made a truly great consistent album since 1993, and before that, since 1987. I think everything they did from 1974-1987 was truly great and remarkably consistent. ph34r.gif

I remember asking myself "What's taking so long? sad.gif " when Rush didn't have anything so soon after "Power Windows". "Hold Your Fire" was two long years after PoW.

Nowadays, two years is nothing.

QUOTE (Rushgirl @ May 23 2006, 09:13 AM)

goodpost.gif

Those were great times when they'd crank out a phenomenal album in about a years time and follow it with a blistering road schedule. But they've earned the right, earned the luxury of taking their time now. They are more perfectionists now than before. (Please just spend an extra month or two, if that's what it takes, to get the sound just right. Don't "rush" to bring the product to market sooner, just 'cause that's what us rabid fans want. Take the time to get it perfect. No more clipping, compression, or whatever made VT sound muddy, guys. Please!)

VT, as far as songwriting and performing (but not the recording part of it), was to me, a stellar "comeback" release. But it took a lot of time to 1) get together as friends and bandmates, 2) get the creative juices flowing again, and 3) get back up to speed on the latest recording techniques. If I recall correctly, they were so pumped by their songwriting and playing ability on VT, and their musicianship and stamina on the VT tour, that they wanted to do another studio album fairly quickly. But the time was right for R30, as they wanted to acknowledge their 30 years together and reward the fans, and especially the European fans. Then the idea for Feedback came about, and delayed getting back to the studio all the more. FB didn't take a lot of time, 'cause they did get the song list together and record it pretty quickly, but it was, again, taking time away from NEW song writing and recording.

I think that if the new release is fairly successful, and the tour is well attended, and they have enough fun on the road, we may see the next studio effort much quicker. I'd say there's a possibility of a studio release two years after this next tour ends. That gives them a year off after being on the road, and a year to write and record.

IMHO...

I'm so ready for new Rush material. For my musical interests, not much is happening out there that is grabbing my attention. A new Rush album would certainly fill this need of mine for great new music.

QUOTE (Noisy Bastard @ May 23 2006, 10:43 AM)
Those were great times when they'd crank out a phenomenal album in about a years time and follow it with a blistering road schedule. But they've earned the right, earned the luxury of taking their time now. They are more perfectionists now than before. (Please just spend an extra month or two, if that's what it takes, to get the sound just right. Don't "rush" to bring the product to market sooner, just 'cause that's what us rabid fans want. Take the time to get it perfect. No more clipping, compression, or whatever made VT sound muddy, guys. Please!)

VT, as far as songwriting and performing (but not the recording part of it), was to me, a stellar "comeback" release. But it took a lot of time to 1) get together as friends and bandmates, 2) get the creative juices flowing again, and 3) get back up to speed on the latest recording techniques. If I recall correctly, they were so pumped by their songwriting and playing ability on VT, and their musicianship and stamina on the VT tour, that they wanted to do another studio album fairly quickly. But the time was right for R30, as they wanted to acknowledge their 30 years together and reward the fans, and especially the European fans. Then the idea for Feedback came about, and delayed getting back to the studio all the more. FB didn't take a lot of time, 'cause they did get the song list together and record it pretty quickly, but it was, again, taking time away from NEW song writing and recording.

I think that if the new release is fairly successful, and the tour is well attended, and they have enough fun on the road, we may see the next studio effort much quicker. I'd say there's a possibility of a studio release two years after this next tour ends. That gives them a year off after being on the road, and a year to write and record.

IMHO...

goodpost.gif

Another good one! wink.gif

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ May 22 2006, 11:20 PM)
This means I'll have my license well before the tour. Which makes my thinking about a Rush road trip serious.

Lucky ... I don't know if I will or not. I really hope I do, and that my parents will let me stalk Rush all summer.

Here's my twisted logic. I grew up in the era when a full length album could be 30 or 32 minutes so just follow me here.

VT is 67 minutes which in my previous terms would be considered a double album. So you basically have two albums worth of material that came out in 2002 and then they released Feedback two years later, which I consider a Rush album even though it's short and all covers, they still put their personal twist on the songs. So technically they released 3 albums since TFE. When they release the one in 2007 it will be roughly the same length as VT which will have two albums worth of material. So technically you're looking at five albums worth of material within a ten year period which breaks down to a two year turn around time. Wooo.

That's my logic and I'm sticking to it. wacko.gif

QUOTE (skullchrist @ May 23 2006, 11:42 AM)
Here's my twisted logic. I grew up in the era when a full length album could be 30 or 32 minutes so just follow me here.

VT is 67 minutes which in my previous terms would be considered a double album. So you basically have two albums worth of material that came out in 2002 and then they released Feedback two years later, which I consider a Rush album even though it's short and all covers, they still put their personal twist on the songs. So technically they released 3 albums since TFE. When they release the one in 2007 it will be roughly the same length as VT which will have two albums worth of material. So technically you're looking at five albums worth of material within a ten year period which breaks down to a two year turn around time. Wooo.

it's actually excellent logic.

i would feel a lot better about that logic if i liked VT, but sadly i don't. sad.gif

Thanks for the update. I hope a spring tour means indoor arenas. Kinda had it with the sheds to be honest. Rush is best indoors and in the dark! \m/ I don't begrudge them taking their time with their art at this stage in their careers, I'm just happy to be getting new songs. And I loved VT. smile.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 23 2006, 03:17 PM)
QUOTE (skullchrist @ May 23 2006, 11:42 AM)
Here's my twisted logic.  I grew up in the era when a full length album could be 30 or 32 minutes so just follow me here. 

VT is 67 minutes which in my previous terms would be considered a double album.  So you basically have two albums worth of material that came out in 2002 and then they released Feedback two years later, which I consider a Rush album even though it's short and all covers, they still put their personal twist on the songs.  So technically they released 3 albums since TFE.  When they release the one in 2007 it will be roughly the same length as VT which will have two albums worth of material.  So technically you're looking at five albums worth of material within a ten year period which breaks down to a two year turn around time.  Wooo.

it's actually excellent logic.

i would feel a lot better about that logic if i liked VT, but sadly i don't. sad.gif

b_sigh.gif Pity 'tis true.

But ach vell, as they say in Deutschland. Personally, I did get "One Little Victory" and "Sweet Miracle" out of the deal, and they're nice to have. The rest...I could take it or leave it.

Like Counterparts with "Between Sun & Moon" and "Cut to the Chase".

Archived