IDOL

launchpad67a

i have been watching it with my wife (because she MAKES me watch it);; i find it a bit entertaining and amuzing..

let's face it;; the show is out to make money for itself and to make the millions of ppl CALL IN a vote;; (the show is probably getting a take of the tele calls)..

that said;; we have to remember that it's also the POPULAR vote too;; and the different parts of the country handle the calls differently;; it's not a fair process..

i thought at first that the show could manipulate the votes;; not sure anymore..

Tylor should not make it;; Katherine should win IMO;; but the American public are "American Idiots";; so Tylor should win as an AM IDiot..

Too bad ALL the contestents are LOCKED if for "Years" of contracts with AI;; it's only a win win situation for AI;; and a financial losing experience for the singers..

They shouldn't quit their day jobs!!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go Taylor -

He's an entertainer - i said it before i wouldn't mind sitting through a Taylor concert. if nothing else he can keep you awake and smiling- McFee on the other hand would put me to sleep after two songs - imo

I'd like to take a tip from Brewster's Millions and vote for "None of the Above."

Daughtry's gone, alas. He should've won this competition in a cakewalk.

Haven't read the whole thread yet, so I'll chime in with a half-cocked answer. AI voting illustrates how the public, at large compromises. In the end you get a watered-down winner rather than someone who is really good. Interesting parallels can be drawn to politics, and whatnot. But really, the contestant with the widest appeal rather than talent wins. Looks and versatility play into it. Basically, I'm bored with pop music. Always have been.

QUOTE (fenderjazz @ May 24 2006, 04:07 AM)
But really, the contestant with the widest appeal rather than talent wins. Looks and versatility play into it. Basically, I'm bored with pop music. Always have been.

For me it's more just for fun and the vote is ultimately meaningless as I won't ever buy an album by anyone associated with American Idol. I still appreciate it for what it is, but in the end it's just part of the musical landscape wasteland that is today's music.

Still... fun. yes.gif

Yep. I generally detest Pop Music today, but I like watching AI for the entertainment factor. It's fun.

It says something that we enjoy the comically atrocious auditioners as much as the talented finalists; we're mostly watching to be entertained, and the bad is as entertaining as the good. (Look at that Will Hung guy and his awful rendition of "She Bangs"... how else would you explain his success?)

Edited by GeddyRulz

As will Chris Daughtry.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 24 2006, 07:56 AM)
I'd like to take a tip from Brewster's Millions and vote for "None of the Above."

Daughtry's gone, alas. He should've won this competition in a cakewalk.

I totally agree , as for last night , katherine looked hot ! drool1.gif but taylor was better. He did prove one thing in this competition , its not all about hitting the biggest note its about knowing how to use what you got , and he was a complete performer . He knew how to play to his strenths. as a singer that always been my approuch , know how to maxamize what you do best . he played to his strenths , very seasoned performer. he makes me feel if i was young enough i would do well in american idol. i always knew what i could and could not do , thats why taylor made it to the finish line.

QUOTE (tick @ May 24 2006, 04:27 AM)

Daughtry's gone, alas.  He should've won this competition in a cakewalk.

I totally agree , as for last night , katherine looked hot ! drool1.gif but taylor was better. He did prove one thing in this competition , its not all about hitting the biggest note its about knowing how to use what you got , and he was a complete performer . He knew how to play to his strenths. as a singer that always been my approuch , know how to maxamize what you do best . he played to his strenths , very seasoned performer. he makes me feel if i was young enough i would do well in american idol. i always knew what i could and could not do , thats why taylor made it to the finish line.

i agreed with the judges in that taylor won the first round and katharine blew him away in the second round. where i seriously disagreed was the 3rd round where i think katharine was transcendent and to me proved byond the shadow of a doubt that she deserved this thing. taylor was very good, but he did blow a couple of notes (which of course the judges didn't mention at all) and it just didn't move me like katharine did. make no mistake, taylor WILL win this thing. last night there was a poll on cnn.com of who people wanted to win and it wasn't even close, something like 62% taylor to 38% katharine. not an official poll, but jeez, even with a 10% margin of error Taylor still wins. then again, i must have pressed my re-dial button 100 times to vote for katharine and i only got through once.

i thought the only way katharine had a shot at this thing was to be brilliant in the finale, and as far as i'm concerned, she was. she was confident, beautiful and sounded amazing. still, the judges seemed to want taylor, and america is probably gonna listen to simon. don't get me wrong, taylor is great. he has an amazing, unique voice, has tons of charisma and will have a very successful career, but if things were fair based on last night, i think katharine would be the easy winner...

QUOTE (Sodoff Baldrick @ May 24 2006, 04:16 AM)
At this point, it's just bragging rights. Taylor and Katherine will likely both get contracts regardless of who wins.

i don't know. people always say this, but how often does it turn out to be the case? without a guaranteed record contract and the full force of marketing that they put behind the winner, there are no sure things.

one might say clay aiken was the exception since he was the runner up, BUT both ruben and clay were given contracts ON STAGE at the finale.

bo bice has done pretty well with a moderately successful album, but how did justin guarini or diana degarmo fare? confused13.gif

i think the best bet of a successful career outside of the winner here is chris daughtrey, but we'll see. the one thing majorly working against the 2nd (or lower) placed finishers of american idol is that while they're HUGELY well-known while the show is on, once the season ends, they're forgotten about fairly quickly. in the fast paced world of crappy pop music, america's got a pretty short memory.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 24 2006, 09:11 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ May 24 2006, 04:27 AM)

Daughtry's gone, alas.  He should've won this competition in a cakewalk.

i agreed with the judges in that taylor won the first round and katharine blew him away in the second round. where i seriously disagreed was the 3rd round where i think katharine was transcendent and to me proved byond the shadow of a doubt that she deserved this thing. taylor was very good, but he did blow a couple of notes (which of course the judges didn't mention at all) and it just didn't move me like katharine did. make no mistake, taylor WILL win this thing. last night there was a poll on cnn.com of who people wanted to win and it wasn't even close, something like 62% taylor to 38% katharine. not an official poll, but jeez, even with a 10% margin of error Taylor still wins. then again, i must have pressed my re-dial button 100 times to vote for katharine and i only got through once.

i thought the only way katharine had a shot at this thing was to be brilliant in the finale, and as far as i'm concerned, she was. she was confident, beautiful and sounded amazing. still, the judges seemed to want taylor, and america is probably gonna listen to simon. don't get me wrong, taylor is great. he has an amazing, unique voice, has tons of charisma and will have a very successful career, but if things were fair based on last night, i think katharine would be the easy winner...

I've got to disagree. I missed the first set of performances - I was caught up in watching the met game (WHICH THEY WON!!)

But anyway I came into the show just as Katherine was AGAIN singing Over The Rainbow. schla03.gif Please.

While I must admit from LAST week it was the first time I could say she gave a great performance, I totally didn't feel it this time. It seemed like she tried to clutch onto a good thing instead of doing something new to continue to prove that she's any good. It didn't impress me at all.

Then onto the final song. It's like taste buds, I guess. Everybody finds different flavors to be satisfying while to another it makes them cringe. This is how I am with her. Her voice went through me like metal claws on a chalk board. Sounding whiny and as though it could fall apart at any moment. I just can't understand how she got this far. In my opinion, she's a good singer and good is not what brings you this far. Great does. She's not great. I just don't get it.

Taylor is a great performer. He's fun to watch, and generates incredible energy. And personally, I think he sings great. You know that when he's up there he's sharing his soul with you and giving you all he's got. I think he outdid Katherine by a mile on that last performance. It's funny how we all hear it differently. laugh.gif

Taylor should win. Since there is no Chris left - Taylor should win. And Elliot should be there to shake his hand, not Katherine.

QUOTE (fenderjazz @ May 24 2006, 08:07 AM)
Haven't read the whole thread yet, so I'll chime in with a half-cocked answer. AI voting illustrates how the public, at large compromises. In the end you get a watered-down winner rather than someone who is really good. Interesting parallels can be drawn to politics, and whatnot. But really, the contestant with the widest appeal rather than talent wins. Looks and versatility play into it. Basically, I'm bored with pop music. Always have been.

well said trink38.gif

neither of them gets me excited, though i do think kat is getting the loser's edit in the whole thing, which is kind of shitty when you think about it. then again, if she comes in second, she doesn't have to surrender 7 years of her life to 19Evil, so maybe that's a good thing. either way, they'll both get contracts, and they'll both put out horrendous first albums.

obladi, oblada, yadda, yadda, yadda

*heads over to emusic to see what weird shit they have new today*

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 24 2006, 09:18 AM)
QUOTE (Sodoff Baldrick @ May 24 2006, 04:16 AM)
At this point, it's just bragging rights. Taylor and Katherine will likely both get contracts regardless of who wins.

i don't know. people always say this, but how often does it turn out to be the case? without a guaranteed record contract and the full force of marketing that they put behind the winner, there are no sure things.

i believe the only year this wasn't true was the third... someone with more knowledge could correct me, but i really have no clue as to whether they signed diana degarmo or not.

kelly and justin were both signed by 19E. clay and ruben were both signed by 19E, clay's album did much better, and clay got some lawyer to weasel him out of the contract (it was a huge thing back then) so he's free and kelly's contract expired some time in the past year and a half. fantasia got signed and i think her album did fairly ok sales. diana has an album out but i have no clue who signed her

carrie and bo both got signed to 19E - carrie to a 7 year contract, bo to a 3 year contract. that seems to be the new standard post-clay deal for the contestants, and i assume that taylor and kat will be doing the same.

as an fyi, the rules have changed over the years as far as AI contracts, mostly because of clay and william hung. now all contestants, just to try out, must sign a contract that prevents them from signing with any other record company for one year, with 19E as the sole optioner. anyone who gets to the finals (i think) has to agree to a 2 year with 19E as the sole optioner. of course, people are often let out of it if 19E deems them as unmarketable, or non threats to the winners, but everything is calculatingly done so that the winner has the most commercial success in a given year.

of course, as you said, a contract is no guarantee of success. hell, winning is no guarantee of success, and ruben and fantasia are slowly proving that one out. i'd say the real AI successes to date are kelly and clay, with carrie and bo being too early to tell, though carrie seems to be well on her way with her appeal to the mentally simple southern Jesus freak crowd.

i enjoy the show from a cynical point of view (no shit, right joker.gif) and i do find it interesting the way they subtly do things to get the results that they want, as well as the legal issues involved. there's something very train wreck about the whole thing.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 24 2006, 08:18 AM)
in the fast paced world of crappy pop music, america's got a pretty short memory.

True, but I don't see Taylor going on to a pop career. If he's smart, he'll stick with a genre that best suits him, like R&B, and make a good career at blues festivals and such.

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 24 2006, 05:52 AM)
It's funny how we all hear it differently.  laugh.gif

yeah, it's a funny thing.

i missed katharine singing over the rainbow the previous week and only got to catch it this time and it was amazing.

i don't know about you or anyone else, but i'm always hoping for something specific when i watch that show, and it's to find something magical. every once in awhile a performance will happen that's just breathtaking, where you watch it quietly with your mouth open, stunned. it's almost a spiritual thing even. i think if we're lucky we get a handful of those every season. don't get me wrong, there are more instances than that where performances are very impressive, but sometimes it's that something extra, that something transcendent.

anyway, that's what i felt with katharine's last song. i felt like she was so powerful and she was giving it everything she had from the depths of her being. in that moment to me she brought it all and became the winner. i was disappointed, but unfortunately not surprised to hear the judges not give her the kudos it deserved (and it ain't the first time that's happened), and equally dissapointed and not surprised when they lauded taylor with praise for a very good performance that didn't to me have that transcendent quality to it.

i actually went into the show pulling for taylor, but she won me over. she'll lose, at least in part to the judges, but to me she's the one deserving of it. taylor will make a great american idol and he IS great, but in my book he was decidely not the best person performing last night.

feelingwithyourskin says:
i'd say the real AI successes to date are kelly and clay, with carrie and bo being too early to tell, though carrie seems to be well on her way with her appeal to the mentally simple southern Jesus freak crowd.

I'd say Carrie is MORE than just "well on her way." Her country album is doing awesome, and - while we were watching AI - she won a country music award last night.

I LOVE the "mentally-simple, southern Jesus freak" comment. Finally something we both agree on... we're both prejudiced against country-listening, southern Bible Belt hicks.

A personal question: are you from the CP board? Or do you only post here?

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 24 2006, 04:51 PM)
feelingwithyourskin says:
i'd say the real AI successes to date are kelly and clay, with carrie and bo being too early to tell, though carrie seems to be well on her way with her appeal to the mentally simple southern Jesus freak crowd.

I'd say Carrie is MORE than just "well on her way." Her country album is doing awesome, and - while we were watching AI - she won a country music award last night.

I LOVE the "mentally-simple, southern Jesus freak" comment. Finally something we both agree on... we're both prejudiced against country-listening, southern Bible Belt hicks.

A personal question: are you from the CP board? Or do you only post here?

i am originally a cp export, though that is not the only place i post

i don't know if i'm prejudiced... i just loathe stupidity and see no point in beating around the bush about it. plain old idiots seems too broad a categorization for carrie fans; she tends to attract the southern fundamentalist types without even trying, though i know she has other fans that aren't so fluffy headed.

like i said, she seems to be on her way, but i still think we need to see what she's doing around this time next year before she can be considered a true success. a few have faded into obscurity after their first albums have been out for a while. if her second album does well, i will consider her a full blown AI success.

Taylor Wins !!

Like that was a secret.

Should have been Chris and Paris in the final the whole time.

Whoopie. Taylor wins. schla03.gif

Should've been Chris Daughtry.

Now we can get on with our lives, I guess.

Did anyone else see David Hasselhoff in the audience, crying?? What was that about?

laugh.gif

I really wished they had shown what the percentage of the vote was. I think they owe that to us, but I guess they don't agree. I have to assume it wasn't SUPER close or they would have told us that since they've done that before.

Anyway, during all the various performances last night, I must say that Taylor shone brighter than Katharine, even though I liked her better the previous night. If the vote was based on last night, I would have voted Taylor. I think both would have made great winners, and indeed Taylor's voice is still more distinctive, but I'm also sorry katharine didn't win. I hope she manages to have a successful career.

It's funny how I care about this stuff when I really mostly can't stand modern music at all and would NEVER buy an album by any of these people. wacko.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 25 2006, 08:53 AM)
Did anyone else see David Hasselhoff in the audience, crying?? What was that about?

laugh.gif

confused13.gif I dont know but i hear the germans love david hasselhoff. laugh.gif