MLB 2006 Season

anagramking

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Yankees are in trouble now, having lost Hideki Matsui last night. They already have Sheffield on the DL for a couple of weeks. Matsui looks to be on for a lot longer than that. When you take those two bats out, the lineup is not going to be scoring 7 runs every night anymore, and much of the pitching is still as suspect as it was before. If Giambi tests positive someday, the whole thing could really unravel.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...ts/14561133.htm

QUOTE (anagramking @ May 12 2006, 12:07 PM)
The Yankees are in trouble now, having lost Hideki Matsui last night. They already have Sheffield on the DL for a couple of weeks. Matsui looks to be on for a lot longer than that. When you take those two bats out, the lineup is not going to be scoring 7 runs every night anymore, and much of the pitching is still as suspect as it was before. If Giambi tests positive someday, the whole thing could really unravel.

No doubt. Matsui could always be counted on. He's been absolutely solid over the last three years with over 100 RBI in each of those seasons.

Dear God, what have the Padres been putting in their coffee Lately - 12 wins out of last 13 games? And not just against other NLwest teams?

Us fair weather fans have to get back to Petco Park -

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ May 12 2006, 01:39 PM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ May 12 2006, 12:07 PM)
The Yankees are in trouble now, having lost Hideki Matsui last night.  They already have Sheffield on the DL for a couple of weeks.  Matsui looks to be on for a lot longer than that.  When you take those two bats out, the lineup is not going to be scoring 7 runs every night anymore, and much of the pitching is still as suspect as it was before.  If Giambi tests positive someday, the whole thing could really unravel.

No doubt. Matsui could always be counted on. He's been absolutely solid over the last three years with over 100 RBI in each of those seasons.

Man I lose another big bat on my fantasy team (I've already lost Derek Lee for awhile)....probably the only Yankee I would even put on my team laugh.gif

He had a great consecutive streak going combining his Japanese league games with the majors...too bad

Yankees beat the Rangers 14-13. The Rangers missed an extra point, I think. It's only fitting that these two teams played a game that ended in a ridiculous score like that. All hitting and no pitching are what both of those teams are all about. Rivera got the win after giving up the go ahead run in the ninth, only to be followed by Otsuka giving up Posada's game winning 2 run homer. I have both those closers on one of my fantasy teams. I get a win, but it did nothing for my other stats.

Great pitching performance by Jays' rookie Casey Janssen tonight! Perfect thru first 5 innings, ended up with a 2 hitter thru 8 innings, no runs, no walks....with the injury problems the Jays' rotation is going thru (along with the struggling Josh Towers...1-7..cripes! angry.gif ) it is good to see good starting pitching from someone you didn't expect to and hold the fort til everyone gets back...

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 19 2006, 05:27 AM)
Interleague play starts tonight! I can't believe it's been 10 years since interleague play first began...I personally think it is great for the game. yes.gif applaudit.gif cool10.gif

I would say it's generally been good. The Sox/Cubs series is always a great draw here. Not every matchup is compelling, but there are always some that are interesting.

I tend to err on the side of keeping traditions as they have been in baseball. I was very skeptical of this at first. Most of Selig's moves, I have not liked. I thought expansion was generally disastrous. The overall quality of the product has been brought down over the last ten years, I believe. They were after those big expansion fees. I also didn't like the change with the All-Star game where the league that wins it gets home field advantage in the World Series. Managers still try to get the whole roster in the game. That hasn't changed. Division realignment was okay (Atlanta did not belong in the NL West.), but I wasn't big on the wild card being added. Railling against wild cards is pointless, though. There's money to be made. I just wish they wouldn't talk about "postseason" records. The only thing that counts is World Series when it comes to records, as far as I'm concerned. When someone breaks Mantle's "postseason" record for something, what does that really mean? Nothing. Break his WS record, and then it means something. Mantle only got to play the WS.

But I digress, once again. Interleague, good for the game on a number of levels. Bud Selig, bad for the game on a number of levels. Something like that.

Buehrle had a complete game 2 hitter last night against the Cubs. I think he's pretty motivated whenever he's matched up against Maddux. Last year Buehrle implied that Maddux doctors the ball, so that would probably give Buehrle extra motivation to not lose against Maddux.

Jake Peavy struck out 16 Braves tonight. Unfortunately, he gave up two runs on three hits in 7 innings, and this was no match for Smoltz's 7 shutout innings.

QUOTE (anagramking @ May 23 2006, 01:02 AM)
Jake Peavy struck out 16 Braves tonight. Unfortunately, he gave up two runs on three hits in 7 innings, and this was no match for Smoltz's 7 shutout innings.

That's the funny thing about baseball..also one of the enduring quirks of the game....a pitcher can pitch a game like that and lose while another can really suck by giving up tons of hits, being wild, get killed by taters and still win the game eh.gif

Happened to me when I was a kid...I threw a one hitter but lost 4-3 by walking in winning run laugh.gif Walking a ton plus a bunch of errors didn't help ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 23 2006, 01:19 AM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ May 23 2006, 01:02 AM)
Jake Peavy struck out 16 Braves tonight.  Unfortunately, he gave up two runs on three hits in 7 innings, and this was no match for Smoltz's 7 shutout innings.

That's the funny thing about baseball..also one of the enduring quirks of the game....a pitcher can pitch a game like that and lose while another can really suck by giving up tons of hits, being wild, get killed by taters and still win the game eh.gif

Happened to me when I was a kid...I threw a one hitter but lost 4-3 by walking in winning run laugh.gif Walking a ton plus a bunch of errors didn't help ph34r.gif

Andy Hawkins threw a no hitter for the Yankees back in the late 80s and still lost. I think they committed about 4 errors behind him.

And anybody who followed the Dodgers in the 80s can tell you of all the great performances by Valenzuela and Hershiser that the team squandered by lack of hitting, errors, and a bad bullpen.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 22 2006, 10:43 PM)
Who would've thought the Tigers would have the best record in baseball right now? Just to show how good a manager Jim Leyland is...

Leyland is terrific. I'll be pulling for Pudge due to the Ranger connection. It sure would be strange for me to see Rogers throwing to Pudge in the World Series. wacko.gif But hey! That's the Rangers' luck!

QUOTE (anagramking @ May 23 2006, 11:25 AM)

Andy Hawkins threw a no hitter for the Yankees back in the late 80s and still lost.  I think they committed about 4 errors behind him.

i think he walked something like 7 or 8 in that game, no?

these are all solid reasons why the "W" stat for pitchers is almost completely useless in judging individual performance.

QUOTE (MadAboutXenu @ May 23 2006, 12:33 PM)

Andy Hawkins threw a no hitter for the Yankees back in the late 80s and still lost.  I think they committed about 4 errors behind him.

these are all solid reasons why the "W" stat for pitchers is almost completely useless in judging individual performance.

I agree. The ERA is the most solid gage.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ May 23 2006, 01:04 PM)
QUOTE (MadAboutXenu @ May 23 2006, 12:33 PM)

I agree. The ERA is the most solid gage.

Even ERA by itself is misleading. A pitcher can have a high WHIP (that's walks and hits per inning pitched) and still have a good ERA. El Duque has been known for this at times, for example. And ERA can vary from ballpark to ballpark. An extreme example would be that an ERA of 4.00 would be great at Coors Field, but wouldn't be so great at PETCO. I think when the Rangers traded for Adam Eaton, they made the mistake of thinking his stats would carry over to Ameriquest. Eaton had an ERA around 4.00 in San Diego, and that's only going to go up in Arlington. One single stat isn't going to tell the whole story. It's important to look at all of the stats together to see the complete picture.

Another thing about ERA is that one has to consider era in which the pitcher pitches. An ERA of 3.60 in 1968 wouldn't be so good, for example. In the steroid era, that would be pretty damn good.

W's aren't useless. They do correlate over time to overall performance. 300 wins is impressive, regardless of anything else. It is a valid milestone, and it guarantees a plaque in Cooperstown. In today's day and age, though, it is harder to get there with the 5 man rotation in effect.

goober, wasn't that the STRANGEST?!?!?! lol

i felt bad for wells, even tho i don't like him much, to get hit on the same knee he just got back from rehab for, night before last, redsox vs tampa. it was his first game back.

yanks have had a streak of bad luck too. i have a healthy respect for them as a team, but i think steinbrenner is a scary dood i'd not want to work for!

Archived