Our dream guitar company

sullysue

I have a dream of starting an exclusively custom guitar company in Fort Worth that would employ the cream of the crop of guitar craftspeople, luthiers and engineers. The idea is to have each and every guitar that leaves the workshop to be a one-of-a-kind guitar styled to the individual player without impeding upon any trademarked designs of any other guitar company. A challenge, at the very least. But, I think it's feasible. Granted, I don't know how to build, design, or for that matter REALLY know how to play a guitar. But, I know that creativity and talent needs a place to grow freely. THAT is the kind of guitar company I'd like to start.

Here is a place for us to invent our (we TRF'ers) dream guitar company. What are your ideas? What would you like to see happen if you had your own company to start from scratch? How would you treat the employees? What would be their incentive to create never-seen-before works of instrumental art?

This could be fun. Let's build this company. smile.gif

I would definately build up a stable of artists, and recognize their different styles. From there, present their styles to customers. You should definately treat them as artists, that just all happen to work on guitars.

To build up some background, have everyone make one or two guitars even before opening shop. Then someone can actually see their style, and judge who they want from that.

I know, I'm kind of dreaming about it, but if it could happen...

Oh, and I'll totally work on basses for you. You should also have someone custom paint drums. Just get some silk screening stuff up, and I'm sure it would do well.

QUOTE (thestand @ Feb 25 2006, 08:54 PM)
I would definately build up a stable of artists, and recognize their different styles. From there, present their styles to customers. You should definately treat them as artists, that just all happen to work on guitars.

To build up some background, have everyone make one or two guitars even before opening shop. Then someone can actually see their style, and judge who they want from that.

Oh, and I'll totally work on basses for you. You should also have someone custom paint drums. Just get some silk screening stuff up, and I'm sure it would do well.

Awesome. The thing is, we need that first customer for whom to make that first guitar. Let's say it's one of us. Hypothetically. What would that unique, just-for-you, fantasy guitar be? Not a copy. Not a knock off. A new idea. Something the player as the individual would like to see on a guitar. His/her own custom guitar. Come on now.... Creativity. That's what we're looking for. New ideas. New designs. Something innovative.

Oh, and you're hired. smile.gif

Designs... we need designs for these basses you speak of!!!!

QUOTE (sullysue @ Feb 25 2006, 10:09 PM)

Awesome. The thing is, we need that first customer for whom to make that first guitar. Let's say it's one of us. Hypothetically. What would that unique, just-for-you, fantasy guitar be? Not a copy. Not a knock off. A new idea. Something the player as the individual would like to see on a guitar. His/her own custom guitar. Come on now.... Creativity. That's what we're looking for. New ideas. New designs. Something innovative.

Oh, and you're hired. smile.gif

Designs... we need designs for these basses you speak of!!!!

I've always been extremely inspired by the completely out there designs Danelectro used to put on their basses. I know a lot of people were put off by them, but I love the longhorns.

http://i14.ebayimg.com/02/i/06/49/16/5f_12_sb.JPG

Retro looks, big cutaways, unusual colours that would only come custom- that's what I'd do.

I've also always loved their Shorthorn headstocks.

http://i5.ebayimg.com/02/i/06/01/15/5a_1.JPG

The other designer I've always admired for basses is Carl Thompson. Every single one of his basses are completely unique. All of the following example's are Les Claypools-

http://www.ctbasses.com/lesRain.jpg

http://www.ctbasses.com/les4Fr.jpg- note the tremolo on that one.

Oh, and someone obviously liked that bass as well-

http://www.ctbasses.com/lesgeddyhead.jpg(A little blurry, but it says HELLO- signed by Geddy Lee)

http://www.ctbasses.com/LESfretted6.jpg

http://www.ctbasses.com/newbass.jpg

http://www.ctbasses.com/BackupCT3.jpg

http://www.ctbasses.com/LesPoplarNewFull.jpg

Those types of extravegent body designs are what I would combine into a unique product.

I have a friend in Toronto. She is in A&R and I think in some way she could help. Bonnie helped developed Sarah Harmer (Weeping Tile-WAR), K-os (EMI/Capitol), Damhnait Doyle (EMI), SKY (EMI), Three Days Grace (Zomba/Jive), Out of your mouth (Sony/BMG)...and with her new business "SoStarStruck!" Some of the artists she has helped with development are Graph Nobel, Elliott BROOD, HiLL, Jeen O'Brien and Andrea England.

New artists are always looking for different sounds. Different guitars to fullfill their needs as a musician.

As a "soon to be a guitar Luthier". I have to say...THIS line...is text book.

"The idea is to have each and every guitar that leaves the workshop to be a one-of-a-kind guitar styled to the individual player without impeding upon any trademarked designs of any other guitar company"

Thats the thing that Miles told me about. He was saying how he worked for Long and Mcquade as a tech repair person. THEY told them. ONLY fix what was wrong with the guitar. DO NOT do anything else to it...unless the person wants to pay for it. He thought that was insane. He left and made his own company. This is what he does for a living. You bring your guitar to him to set it up for YOUR settings. If you don't like it..you bring it back and he fixes it and charges you nothing (you can keep bringing it back if it still needs an ajustment and it's still free). He does the same thing to build guitars. He builds it towards the person's custom setup.

I tell ya...I sure need to fix my guitar up.

This still a dream? lol

BTW Sully ANYTHING is possible if you stick to it. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I always thought Lindsey Buckingham's guitars were crazy weird. He uses Rick Turner Guitars.

http://www.dreampages.com/fleetwood_mac/lindsey_buckingham_6.jpghttp://www.edromanguitars.com/resources/images/rtgquilt1.jpg

QUOTE (thestand @ Feb 25 2006, 07:54 PM)
You should also have someone custom paint drums. Just get some silk screening stuff up, and I'm sure it would do well.

I was wondering about that. haha I'm gonna ask Miles... can we make drum shells? Cuz if thats the case I would seriously put in extra hours just to make a drumset of some kind.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 25 2006, 08:33 PM)
QUOTE (thestand @ Feb 25 2006, 07:54 PM)
You should also have someone custom paint drums. Just get some silk screening stuff up, and I'm sure it would do well.

I was wondering about that. haha I'm gonna ask Miles... can we make drum shells? Cuz if thats the case I would seriously put in extra hours just to make a drumset of some kind.

and yeah I don't think that would be a problem...I'm pretty sure it's the same process. Good thinking! trink39.gif

Ok. Awesome inspirations, you guys. What MY dream guitar company would have is NEW designs. Things that no one has ever seen before. Never before heard tone. Never before seen designs. Keep in mind, each guitar is styled to each and every individual customer. But, if you can present a new innovative way to build a guitar, be it acoustic or electric, that makes a sound that has never been produced before... think of the consequences. That's what I'm talkin' about. yes.gif

QUOTE (thestand @ Feb 25 2006, 10:25 PM)
The other designer I've always admired for basses is Carl Thompson. Every single one of his basses are completely unique. All of the following example's are Les Claypools-

Oh, and someone obviously liked that bass as well-
http://www.ctbasses.com/lesgeddyhead.jpg(A little blurry, but it says HELLO- signed by Geddy Lee)

Actually, it says "Hey Les!" wink.gif

i would kill for a les claypool bass!

my favorite bass player and my hero...

i would also kill for a victor wooten bass:lol:

the best bass i played was a "warwick forest"

WOW... what a kick ass sound!(but it costs sooo musch)

Ok, Ill design a "Artist Signature Series Guitar" form the XN guitarist J Rose (stage name) and also the key marketer!

QUOTE (sullysue @ Feb 27 2006, 09:44 AM)
QUOTE (defrushfan01 @ Feb 26 2006, 10:58 PM)
Ok, Ill design a "Artist Signature Series Guitar" form the XN guitarist J Rose (stage name) and also the key marketer!

Our first big name endorsee is on board! biggrin.gif

Ive already got the desing in my mind so if you want just tap into my brain and youll see it!

laugh.gif cool.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 27 2006, 12:41 PM)
haha one day i'll have a shop in Toronto and it's going to be on the lake somewhere ...on a streeted named Lakeside *insert end of name here*

biggrin.gif

oh and Alex will drop in and be like....dude you need to fix my guitar.

I'll fix it.

And say "no charge"

and then he will say..."your awesome, thanks"

and then I will continue on with my life lol

I can dream can't I?

I like the idea of effects being built into a guitar. It'd be nice to have an overdrive built in.

I think the key to doing this, like others have said, is a different style. Totally new body shapes, totally new tone (which I'm suprised I'm saying this. I'm a vintage snob), etc. If I was good at CAD or something, I would post some drawings.

QUOTE (Robman2112 @ Feb 27 2006, 03:38 PM)
I like the idea of effects being built into a guitar. It'd be nice to have an overdrive built in.

I think the key to doing this, like others have said, is a different style. Totally new body shapes, totally new tone (which I'm suprised I'm saying this. I'm a vintage snob), etc. If I was good at CAD or something, I would post some drawings.

You're right in line with what I'm talking about here.

You are thinking in innovative terms here. Something that should be done.

But, is this feasible? How? Where? Can you come up with a workable design for this? Would this be a gimmicky thing, or would it revolutionize the world of the electric guitar? How could the effects be interchangeable? Built-in microchips with buttons to switch effects? confused13.gif

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Feb 26 2006, 04:06 AM)
Matt belamy of Muse has all his guitars custom made with the effects built into the guitar - Fuzz boxes/delays/ anything you can think of one of his guitars i believe has 7 knobs to control them

Unfortunately there is one company already building effects into guitars - Manson Customs

The following is a link to 7 examples of Matt Bellamy's custom mansons with effects already built in -

http://www.liquid-fire.co.uk/musegear/index.html

Matt bellamy is the lead guitarist for MUSE - These customs give him a very distinctive sound -

However i'm sure you can expound on this concept - This is only being done in the UK as far as i know and it is only experimental-

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Feb 28 2006, 12:03 AM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ Feb 26 2006, 04:06 AM)
Matt belamy of Muse has all his guitars custom made with the effects built into the guitar - Fuzz boxes/delays/ anything you can think of one of his guitars i believe has 7 knobs to control them

Unfortunately there is one company already building effects into guitars - Manson Customs

The following is a link to 7 examples of Matt Bellamy's custom mansons with effects already built in -

http://www.liquid-fire.co.uk/musegear/index.html

Matt bellamy is the lead guitarist for MUSE - These customs give him a very distinctive sound -

However i'm sure you can expound on this concept - This is only being done in the UK as far as i know and it is only experimental-

Well, he hasn't put a corner on the market. Or a trademark. (?)

But, we don't want to either. Just new ideas, and this is a good idea. I love it.

Oh, my God. Stand. I totally overlooked your post. Yes! Originality would be the foundation. No matter how out of this world or out of the ordinary. If we could find designs that would rock the guitar world to it's foundation... that would be my dream. Yikes. What a great dream. You guys are so nice to indulge me.