Restaurant Advice Thread

ByWyzD

OK - since this seems to be the trend I thought I would throw my hat into the ring. If the Admins feel this is not a trend that should be started I will respect their decision to ax this thread. Anyway, I own a restaurant and thought that maybe I could help out with any restaurant/food questions you have. I am not a chef but have quite a bit of cooking experience. If I can help.....

QUOTE (ByWyzD @ Feb 10 2006, 04:50 PM)
OK - since this seems to be the trend I thought I would throw my hat into the ring. If the Admins feel this is not a trend that should be started I will respect their decision to ax this thread. Anyway, I own a restaurant and thought that maybe I could help out with any restaurant/food questions you have. I am not a chef but have quite a bit of cooking experience. If I can help.....

why would anyone care , go for it . i do all the cooking in my house .i taught my wife how to cook , though she rarly does . i love cooking for sport. i hate the middle of the week just get something on the table cooking.

QUOTE (sundog @ Feb 10 2006, 11:28 PM)
I'm afraid if I'm too picky about what I order, the staff will do something gross with my food. (like if my steak isn't cooked enough)

Is that an unwarranted fear, or should I really worry?

ph34r.gif

laugh.gif

I would worry.

My son works in a restaurant. I'm sure not every restaurant has co-workers like his, but................ scared.gif

QUOTE (sundog @ Feb 10 2006, 06:28 PM)
I'm afraid if I'm too picky about what I order, the staff will do something gross with my food. (like if my steak isn't cooked enough)

ph34r.gif

I'm sure that there are restaurants out there that have staff that would possibly do something like that but I really think they are few and far between. I eat out at other restaurants and have never had that concern, even when I send something back. If there is a mature staff I'm sure that they understand that every customers needs are different and they should work to provide for them. If it's a bunch of kids cooking I would be much more concerned, but I don't think you have to worry. Hope that helps!

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 10 2006, 06:23 PM)
QUOTE (ByWyzD @ Feb 10 2006, 04:50 PM)
OK - since this seems to be the trend I thought I would throw my hat into the ring.  If the Admins feel this is not a trend that should be started I will respect their decision to ax this thread.  Anyway, I own a restaurant and thought that maybe I could help out with any restaurant/food questions you have.  I am not a chef but have quite a bit of cooking experience.  If I can help.....

why would anyone care , go for it . i do all the cooking in my house .i taught my wife how to cook , though she rarly does . i love cooking for sport. i hate the middle of the week just get something on the table cooking.

Thanks for the support Tick! trink38.gif

QUOTE (dweezil @ Feb 10 2006, 06:32 PM)
QUOTE (sundog @ Feb 10 2006, 11:28 PM)

ph34r.gif

laugh.gif

I would worry.

My son works in a restaurant. I'm sure not every restaurant has co-workers like his, but................ scared.gif

laugh.gif I try not to ever send things back, (due to this fear) but I will think twice next time! unsure.gif

QUOTE (ByWyzD)
I'm sure that there are restaurants out there that have staff that would possibly do something like that but I really think they are few and far between. I eat out at other restaurants and have never had that concern, even when I send something back. If there is a mature staff I'm sure that they understand that every customers needs are different and they should work to provide for them. If it's a bunch of kids cooking I would be much more concerned, but I don't think you have to worry. Hope that helps!

Ok, got it, stick to the restaurants that have mature staff! old.gif

laugh.gif J/k thanks for the insight! trink39.gif

I worked in restaurants for many years as a waiter. Chinese, Mexican, 24/7 roadhouse, vegetarian/bakery/espresso, and several fine dining restaurants, even in a tux with tails rolling the food out on carts and serving it tableside (with a wine list with 667 bin numbers).

I know a bit about food service, and have thousands of stories, of course. wink.gif

QUOTE (ByWyzD @ Feb 10 2006, 06:59 PM)

ph34r.gif

I have to agree with this yes.gif Most restaurant workers have a subconscious sense of Karma. Never do to someone's food that you wouldn't want done to yours pokey.gif

QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Feb 10 2006, 09:58 PM)

ph34r.gif

I have to agree with this yes.gif Most restaurant workers have a subconscious sense of Karma. Never do to someone's food that you wouldn't want done to yours pokey.gif

I think you are right MMFM!

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 11 2006, 03:57 AM)
Eh? My parents owned a Chinese restaurant for almost 20 years. I worked in almost every role - from dishwasher, delivery boy, cook, waiter, bartender, closed end of day, opened.

Can you send me some food?

QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Feb 11 2006, 02:58 AM)

ph34r.gif

DO NOT eat at Gullivers or Kelseys then.

QUOTE (dweezil @ Feb 11 2006, 03:59 AM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 11 2006, 03:57 AM)
Eh?  My parents owned a Chinese restaurant for almost 20 years.  I worked in almost every role - from dishwasher, delivery boy, cook, waiter, bartender, closed end of day, opened.

Can you send me some food?

i'm f***ing starving

someone send me some food damnit

QUOTE (dweezil @ Feb 10 2006, 11:58 PM)
QUOTE (sundog @ Feb 11 2006, 04:49 AM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Feb 10 2006, 11:46 PM)

WTF are those?

I'm eating Doritos man.

What, you don't like the Prawn Cocktail crisps? laugh.gif

062802puke_prv.gif

I hate seafood and to put it in crisps? 062802puke_prv.gif

That's EXACTLY what I thought when I saw that! laugh.gif

Here's a little tip you can use to win friends and influence people. There is a proper way to open champaigne. First off, and most obvious, do not shake it and fire the cork across the room. Unless it that kind of event, of course. If it is, use cheap champaigne, because it's all going all over the outside of the guests instead of into their mouth and brain.

Have your champaigne well-chilled. Handle it gently. You want as little fizz as possible. It will do that in the glass. After removing the cage, place a napkin or towel over the cork. Hold the bottle firmly in your right hand (or left one if you're left-handed). Hold the cork and towel firmly with the other hand. Then gently turn the bottle, not the cork. Do it slowly and you won't even get a pop, which is proper. A tiny whisper is nice.

Pour it for everyone. Then it's time for the toast, and to get toasted.

Archived