Metal History

ByWyzD

I was listening to the radio station this morning and heard mention of a new movie that is coming out about the history of metal. My ears perked up when I heard them say that Geddy Lee would be one of the artists involved. There is more information at www.metalhistory.com. I didn't have time to really delve into the site but thought I would share.

The first time I ever heard the term "heavy metal" was when the 1981 movie by the same name came out. After that, any especially hard rock acts started carrying that title.

QUOTE (kooma @ Feb 9 2006, 07:10 PM)
Rush is a prog rock band and NOT a metal band! 1022.gif

biggrin.gif I agree completely yes.gif 2.gif

When all is said and done.
You can call it...

Heavy metal, hard-core, punk, pop, or thrash.
You can call it anything it don't matter to me.
Call it what you want.
It's all music to me.

Tesla - Call It What You Want.

I its all relative, when Rush first came out IMO they were thought of as Metal and their music was some of the "heaviest" stuff out there in during the 70's.

Obviously the music of Rush has changed, but more significantly what people consider to be "metal" has also changed.

IMHO Rush is the founder of the Prog Metal genre.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 8 2006, 12:51 PM)
The first time I ever heard the term "heavy metal" was when the 1981 movie by the same name came out. After that, any especially hard rock acts started carrying that title.

I think that Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath were the first bands to be labeled heavy metal. While Led Zeppelin didn't really deserve the title, I think that Black Sabbath did.

I've never thought of Rush as heavy metal ever.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Feb 9 2006, 12:41 PM)
I its all relative, when Rush first came out IMO they were thought of as Metal and their music was some of the "heaviest" stuff out there in during the 70's.

Obviously the music of Rush has changed, but more significantly what people consider to be "metal" has also changed.

You and me both dude.

Rush through Hemispheres could easily be described as metal albums, particularly 2112, which has melodic metal written all over it.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Feb 11 2006, 12:03 AM)
QUOTE (tangdog @ Feb 9 2006, 12:41 PM)

You and me both dude.

Rush through Hemispheres could easily be described as metal albums, particularly 2112, which has melodic metal written all over it.

I agree also....

I remember in the 80's AC/DC were considered metal and now they are referred to as (for the most part) a hard rock band. I also remember Soundgarden being considered metal until a few years later they were considered "grunge" because of the whole so-called alternative revolution...

All in all clearingsky is right... 2.gif is 2.gif ....they were tagged with the metal persona back in the day...even Zeppelin was considered metal back then but of course they are not.....just another useless label thrown around to lump certain bands with others....

QUOTE (LiveBlues @ Feb 10 2006, 01:36 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 8 2006, 12:51 PM)

I think that Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath were the first bands to be labeled heavy metal. While Led Zeppelin didn't really deserve the title, I think that Black Sabbath did.

I've never thought of Rush as heavy metal ever.

The term "Heavy Metal" was first used in Steppenwolf's "Born to be Wild."

"I like smoking lightning, heavy metal thunder,

Wrestling with the wind, and the feeling that I'm under."

QUOTE (greenbay4901 @ Feb 11 2006, 01:59 AM)
2.gif Rush would first of all be classified in Progressive Rock. Other bands in the same category:'Dream Theater', ' The Doors', 'System Of A Down', 'Tool', and many more that I just can't think of right now. 2.gif

System of a Down? Progressive? WTF?

AC/DC were the first hm band as with their appearance the term was introduced in the business. It was invented by the media and it is media that control the labelling of artists of whatever kind. For some Rush may be named hm band, and for others not. That's simple. Rush is Rush and what kind of music it is should be left to judge by the wise comp26.gif rage.gif

Archived