Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

It doesn't affect my opinion on Pink Floyd. I dislike every other album I have heard for their own reasons.

If you haven't already, you should try a 'selection' of the songs instead. It's a test of patience to get through some of it. In The Flesh, Vera, Hey You, Comfortably Numb, Young Lust, Run Like Hell, Mother, Goodbye Blue Skies... these are all, individually, great songs by any band at any time in rock's history.

OK...would you have any specific albums of PF you think could sway someone not convinced by The Wall or Dark Side? I have heard more but it underwhelmed. However, those two I have tried again and again, enough to know my feelings.

Animals is my personal favorite. Meddle has a similar, jammy feel if you end up enjoying Animals. Unfortunately there's a few IMO filler tracks. Zero filler on Animals. Solid concept start to finish.

Wish You Were Here was better on drugs as a kid in college, but it's still got a few great moments.

Dark Side, like The Wall, wanders a bit. Unlike The Wall, it doesn't really have a single bad/filler track though.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

I enjoyed The Astonishing more than The Wall and Quadrophenia.

Wow...is that faint praise?

The Wall is amazing! Quadrephenia is amazing!

Now I know why you guys don't like The Astonishing, you have no taste in music. Sorry, but man is that true.

Go suck it.

I have little time for those with haughty views.

Be subjective and open to difference or just go for a nice long jog anywhere away from me.

Seriously, I have my own taste and I am glad I embrace others polite indifference.

You have your own bad taste. :laughing guy:

I am content to dislike people. I won't go all Tony R on your ass because you make me laugh but I laugh more at you than with you.

Oh albums for Floyd

Meddle

Wish you Were Here

Animals-This ones a tad bitter but rocks

Dark side

Obscured by Clouds-Very overlooked

Mick

I might just make Pink Floyd a project marathon. Maybe start from the beginning, live with a single album for a week and then move forward.

I want to do that with Genesis as well.

• Like 1

Oh albums for Floyd

Meddle

Wish you Were Here

Dark side

Mick

I might just make Pink Floyd a project marathon. Maybe start from the beginning, live with a single album for a week and then move forward.

I do this all the time with new bands, or bands I'm re-exploring. I really need more than a couple plays to digest what I'm hearing as well, so a week seems long enough to 'get' something (or not).

Oh albums for Floyd

Meddle

Wish you Were Here

Dark side

Mick

DUUUUDE......GENESIS.

Your really lagging there.

Story........i hated them for years........but they just FELT like a band i should love i wanted to love them.

then bang.........they hit hard.

Mick

My Genesis attempt resulted in me liking the late '70-80s Collins era even more, despite its intent to get me liking the Gabriel stuff more.

Story........i hated them for years........but they just FELT like a band i should love i wanted to love them.

Mick

Jinx. haha Exact opposite happened with me.

I'm not into their flavor of prog, but I like their pop. I'm more a Yes/KC/ELP 70s era prog guy. I think it's just Gabriel, I don't like him for various reasons. A couple of his solo albums are good though.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

Now I know why you guys don't like The Astonishing, you have no taste in music. Sorry, but man is that true.

Go suck it.

Be subjective and open to difference or just go for a nice long jog anywhere away from me.

Seriously, I have my own taste and I am glad I embrace others polite indifference.

I am content to dislike people. I won't go all Tony R on your ass because you make me laugh but I laugh more at you than with you.

Relax! I'm only messing with you! No reason to hate me, I'm not a bad person! Tony R. on the other hand..... :smash: :laughing yellow guy:

My Genesis attempt resulted in me liking the late '70-80s Collins era even more, despite its intent to get me liking the Gabriel stuff more.

i'm more a collins era guy by far.

not to say i don't enjoy Gabriel era.....i do on occasion.

i love collins in Genesis........not really solo.

and it's the opposite with Gabriel, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Oh albums for Floyd

Meddle

Wish you Were Here

Dark side

Mick

DUUUUDE......GENESIS.

Your really lagging there.

Mick

I have been underwhelmed by Genesis but never disappointed. Does that make sense? Also if you are not in the mood for prog Genesis aren't an easy listen.

I prefer Gabriel era Genesis to Collins as well, and yet I prefer solo Collins to Gabriel. Odd!

• Like 1

i'm more a collins era guy by far.

not to say i don't enjoy Gabriel era.....i do on occasion.

i love collins in Genesis........not really solo.

and it's the opposite with Gabriel, lol

Mick

And then I read this hahahaha

• Like 1

Go suck it.

Relax! I'm only messing with you! No reason to hate me, I'm not a bad person! Tony R. on the other hand..... :smash: :laughing yellow guy:

Bro hug.

• Like 1

It doesn't affect my opinion on Pink Floyd. I dislike every other album I have heard for their own reasons.

If you haven't already, you should try a 'selection' of the songs instead. It's a test of patience to get through some of it. In The Flesh, Vera, Hey You, Comfortably Numb, Young Lust, Run Like Hell, Mother, Goodbye Blue Skies... these are all, individually, great songs by any band at any time in rock's history.

OK...would you have any specific albums of PF you think could sway someone not convinced by The Wall or Dark Side? I have heard more but it underwhelmed. However, those two I have tried again and again, enough to know my feelings.

I was a Pink Floyd fangirl long before I discovered big prog rock like Rush and Yes.

I like Wish You Were Here. I also really love Division Bell. Those, along with Dark Side and The Wall, are the best Pink Floyd albums imo. I couldn't stand Final Cut. Their early psychedelic stuff gets on my nerves most of the time, but I might need to revisit it now that I've gotten a little older. You might like Animals, but... I have for some reason avoided it in my listenings. Meddle, aside from Echoes, ain't really my thing.

• Like 1

I was a Pink Floyd fangirl long before I discovered big prog rock like Rush and Yes.

I like Wish You Were Here. I also really love Division Bell. Those, along with Dark Side and The Wall, are the best Pink Floyd albums imo. I couldn't stand Final Cut. Their early psychedelic stuff gets on my nerves most of the time, but I might need to revisit it now that I've gotten a little older. You might like Animals, but... I have for some reason avoided it in my listenings. Meddle, aside from Echoes, ain't really my thing.

oh DOL............I LOVE the Final cut. lol

Mick

• Like 2

I also don't think Pink Floyd is boring, Segue. It has a groove that a lot more upbeat bands don't really have. The songs are long but I don't even notice it.

In comparison to a lot of other prog bands, including Rush. I can't sit through The Necromancer, but I can dance through Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Also I didn't want to bash The Wall's artistic content--as a theme, I enjoy it. I even listen to it all the way through. But it's a lot less musically interesting than it gets given credit for.

• Like 1

I also don't think Pink Floyd is boring, Segue. It has a groove that a lot more upbeat bands don't really have. The songs are long but I don't even notice it.

In comparison to a lot of other prog bands, including Rush. I can't sit through The Necromancer, but I can dance through Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Also I didn't want to bash The Wall's artistic content--as a theme, I enjoy it. I even listen to it all the way through. But it's a lot less musically interesting than it gets given credit for.

Being a Brit I am well exposed to their music. I know then we'll and I find them boring. I wish I could tell you an exception but all I have ever heard has bored me. I have heard a lot of it, some I am REALLY aware of, others I have tried but I found nothing to pull me in.

• Like 1

oh DOL............I LOVE the Final cut. lol

Mick

That whole album's basically just an angry old man in his middle-aged crisis to me! Though I can definitely see how that'd be interesting. :LOL:

• Like 1

Edited by Tick
  • Like 1

I have a confession to make:

There's like 5 DT albums I haven't listened to, and I've listened to Scenes from start to finish maybe twice. I've heard Beyond This Life maybe 100 times though. The one that's live at Budokan transcends the original.

Edited by Day of Light

This is great, Tick!

Is Neal Morse behind this? Yuck!

No, David Lee Roth and Paul Stanley are.

• Like 1