Rush, Geddy's book, & why music matters

RAY4583

Thank you RAY4583 for this link. Over many years, you don't post often!

I have not seen other interviews with Jeff Miers, he says he has interviewed the other guys and that his career needed to be re-invented, so I will look that up soon.

I remember Ray from Rush: Time Stand Still, but both of them are clearly articulate and huge Rush fans. It shows in the very loose references, the mutual appreciation for every detail. At first I also wanted to hear more technical stuff about the band and their instruments and such, but as Ray said about Geddy's book, some people might want more details about the making of an album or more specs about music making, however, that is what makes My Effin' Life more interesting. It is a great account about the life of a musician and not always about the band.

Jeff says he has read hundreds of rock musician bios, but this one stood out as special. The hour long interview is not just about the book. It is more about personal journeys and relating to music during the course of your life. I had to admit some of that, watching these two guys talk about what music means to people and how it can help one feel part of a collective (my third suggested word to community and/or communion).

I almost closed the interview a couple of times because it was a little corny or overly sympathetic to the band and "everything about Rush is great" but realised this felt different. If anybody has time for a "fire side" chat about the band, this seemed very honest. A line from Hold Your Fire or Farewell To Kings was easily suggested, they know their stuff. Alex and his on going projects, Geddy needing to be creative...

These two guys had no boundaries, no obvious cheat notes to look at. It is simply this-or-that Rush reference, relating to this-or-that personal experience. And seeing that Ray is a teacher of Grade 4 students, they both kept it civil and worthy of a class discussion - if "why music matters" should ever be part of a lesson plan for young (or older) students.

That was very enjoyable, thanks RAY4583, very much.

Bahamas

(Edit - And I hope Ray's sister forgave him for keeping her 8 Track)

Edited by Bahamas
Ray's sister