The Official 2023-24 NHL Season Thread

Rhyta

19 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

My picks to advance to the second round: Vegas, Colorado, Vancouver, Edmonton, Tampa, Boston, New York R, Carolina. That doesn't mean I'll be rooting for all these teams. 

I hope Florida makes it rather than the Bolts.  Nashville might be a spoiler but pretty much agree with your picks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pjbear05 said:

Love the "DALLAS!  STARS! post-goal crowd chant, one of the best in the League.

1 hour ago, Rhyta said:

To each his own, it's obnoxious and dumb. They have one of the weirdest play by play announcers too, like nails on a chalkboard.

Play by play, or analyst? Their play guy is harmless enough, so I'm thinking you mean Daryl Reaugh, aka Razor, their color analyst. He's certainly unique with his offbeat humor and descriptive phrases, but he's super knowledgeable, and in my opinion he''s the best analyst in the game.

And as for their goal song, custom made by hometown Pantera? Also the best in the game. I'm been to games at the AAC and it's a loud and fun place to see some hockey.

Obviously you 100% disagree with all this. :tongue:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Play by play, or analyst? Their play guy is harmless enough, so I'm thinking you mean Daryl Reaugh, aka Razor, their color analyst. He's certainly unique with his offbeat humor and descriptive phrases, but he's super knowledgeable, and in my opinion he''s the best analyst in the game. Obviously you 100% disagree. :tongue:

You know way too much about the Stars. Very suspicious. Is it your second favorite team?  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Play by play, or analyst? Their play guy is harmless enough, so I'm thinking you mean Daryl Reaugh, aka Razor, their color analyst. He's certainly unique with his offbeat humor and descriptive phrases, but he's super knowledgeable, and in my opinion he''s the best analyst in the game.

And as for their goal song, custom made by hometown Pantera? Also the best in the game. I'm been to games at the AAC and it's a loud and fun place to see some hockey.

1 minute ago, blackhawkrush said:

You know way too much about the Stars. Very suspicious. Is it your second favorite team?  

Absolutely. If the Isles would have gotten past the Bolts a few years ago they would have met the Stars in the Final. Of course I'd pull for the Isles all the way, but that would have been fun.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Absolutely. If the Isles would have gotten past the Bolts a few years ago they would have met the Stars in the Final. Of course I'd pull for the Isles all the way, but that would have been fun.

I have both of you gone in the first round.  :blush:

56 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

29 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

I have both of you gone in the first round.  :blush:

Oh?

letterkenny-wedding-fight.gif

• Haha 2

It's only the start of these 2023-24 N.H.L. playoffs.  Need, and have to take the games one at a time.  In Boston, after Toronto, lost the first game 5-1, they won the second game 3-2 to tie the series 1-1.  Now, they go to Toronto, for two games.

Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well, it's been a wild start to the playoffs, so many goals by multiple teams.  Leafs managed to win one. Anyone thinking Dallas was going to mop the floor with the Knights was sorely mistaken, Stone once again has a miraculous recovery and manages to score their first goal.  Looking at the fans in the stands, Dallas was not living up to their expectations.

I was nervous about the Avs against Jets but they scored 6 goals on Hellebuck?  We should have won and if we don't split these two games I am not optimistic.  MacFarlane really goofed not finding another goaltender especially since it was common knowledge Francouz was going to retire due to his injury.  Oh well  :unsure:  fingers crossed

p.s. and our new team owner has decided to let the fans pick the name of the team since they can't use the Coyotes.  :angry:  Here we go with the equivalent of Boaty McBoat face:facepalm:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/19/2024 at 2:09 PM, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Yeah that's the guy,  makes the dumbest comments trying to be clever...a ludicrous save :rolleyes:

Only time I cheered for Dallas was in 1999 when they had Modano, Hull, Belfour and Joe Nieuwendyk who I cheered for when he was with Calgary (Flames were the parent club for our minor club in Salt Lake).

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Rhyta said:

Well, it's been a wild start to the playoffs, so many goals by multiple teams.  Leafs managed to win one. Anyone thinking Dallas was going to mop the floor with the Knights was sorely mistaken, Stone once again has a miraculous recovery and manages to score their first goal.  Looking at the fans in the stands, Dallas was not living up to their expectations.

I was nervous about the Avs against Jets but they scored 6 goals on Hellebuck?  We should have won and if we don't split these two games I am not optimistic.  MacFarlane really goofed not finding another goaltender especially since it was common knowledge Francouz was going to retire due to his injury.  Oh well  :unsure:  fingers crossed

p.s. and our new team owner has decided to let the fans pick the name of the team since they can't use the Coyotes.  :angry:  Here we go with the equivalent of Boaty McBoat face:facepalm:

Jazz is taken. How about the Death Metalists?   :ROCK:

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Jazz is taken. How about the Death Metalists?   :ROCK:

:rolleyes:  There are some suggesting  SLC Punks  :LOL:   but it's going to be a clown show, I think this doofus is going to make the team a laughingstock.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rhyta said:

:rolleyes:  There are some suggesting  SLC Punks  :LOL:   but it's going to be a clown show, I think this doofus is going to make the team a laughingstock.

They'll be taking Lukas Reichel from the Hawks then.  :smile:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

They'll be taking Lukas Reichel from the Hawks then.  :smile:

I was thinking of the name of the team being the embarassment, who knows what silly name they will pick?  He's actually going get some good players and picks but remains to be seen if he lets management handle it and not stick his nose in where it doesn't belong.

Right now Yeti is the top name bandied about :facepalm:

• Like 1

Avs win 5-2 over Jets!!  We got the split I was hoping for and Georgiev looked a lot better in goal. Hellebuyck is not invincible.  Now going back to Denver Friday where we have a better record on wins :clap::biggrin:

• Like 2

Toronto, played game three, and lost 4-2.  On Sat., is game four.  For a Utah last name, maybe, how about glaciers?  The Utah Glaciers might not sound bad.  It was a name idea, and I'm trying to be original.

Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Derek19 said:

Toronto, played game three, and lost 4-2.  Game four is on Sat.  For a Utah last name, maybe, how about glaciers?  The Utah Glaciers might not sound bad.  It was a name idea.

Not bad but glaciers are slow...The Ice has been proposed too...I wouldn't mind the Blizzard (although too close to the Avalanche :coy:) and Outlaws has possibilities.  These are on the registered trademarks list and fans are voting on them.  Time will tell if the team will get a good name.  Fingers crossed..

The welcome party yesterday had a full house and lots of kids in their youth hockey jerseys met them at the airport.  I was surprised at the size of the turnout.

https://www.nhl.com/news/utah-nhl-team-welcomed-by-fans-at-delta-center

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 3

On 4/25/2024 at 2:16 PM, Rhyta said:

Not bad but glaciers are slow...The Ice has been proposed too...I wouldn't mind the Blizzard (although too close to the Avalanche :coy:) and Outlaws has possibilities.  These are on the registered trademarks list and fans are voting on them.  Time will tell if the team will get a good name.  Fingers crossed..

The welcome party yesterday had a full house and lots of kids in their youth hockey jerseys met them at the airport.  I was surprised at the size of the turnout.

https://www.nhl.com/news/utah-nhl-team-welcomed-by-fans-at-delta-center

I liked "the Bees" (Beehive State, and all) . . . but I guess there's already a minor league baseball team with that name, so maybe not.

Edited by Nova Carmina
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

I liked "the Bees" (Beehive State, and all) . . . but I guess there's already a minor league baseball team with that name, so maybe not.

Yeah that has been suggested and you are right, the minor league baseball team has been the Bees for a long time.  One other downside to that is there are already several teams with black and gold colors so that complicates it.

• Like 1

Avs have another monster period, scoring 5 goals in the 3rd, lead series 2-1. Georgiev had another good night and it is looking like getting Middlestadt from Buffalo was a great choice, he set up 3 of the goals with some lovely passes.

Things got nasty at the end of the game, had some bad fights.  Someone got cut by a skate but not sure who is was.  It is going to make this a rougher series than I thought.  :hockey2:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rhyta said:

Avs have another monster period, scoring 5 goals in the 3rd, lead series 2-1. Georgiev had another good night and it is looking like getting Middlestadt from Buffalo was a great choice, he set up 3 of the goals with some lovely passes.

Things got nasty at the end of the game, had some bad fights.  Someone got cut by a skate but not sure who is was.  It is going to make this a rougher series than I thought.  :hockey2:

It got rough in L.A. as well. Rules of a one-sided game. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chicken hawk said:

An illustration of Boston Bruins goalies Jeremy Swayman and Linus Ullmark doing their trademark post-game hugGO B"S

I really love their cellys, it is a cool thing to watch :clap:

• Like 1